Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Aprisa

Original Poster:

1,422 posts

143 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
We've just had a new boiler fitted by a complete cowboy.

System now sorted and certified (by another) but some rad's are obviously partially blocked with sludge.

Question is:- can I realistically flush the system myself by adding the chemicals to the tank (after draining) leaving it running a while and then draining down through the valve at the bottom of the system? or do I need to get a professional with the "Power Flush" kit?

Thanks
Nick

BoRED S2upid

10,620 posts

125 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
Just had this done to mine, drain system add chemical run system for 24 hours to release sludge drain system, add new chemical run system, drain to remove any more sludge, refill system and jobs a good un.

Sounds like an aweful lot of hastle and lots of water but apparently it can be done yourself, my heating engineer was quite happy to give me step by step instructions on how I could do it but I needed a few other jobs doing so we came to an agreement on everything and a saftey cert.

wainy

724 posts

128 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
take this with a pinch of salt as I have no 1st hand experience (from tales) but you could do it yourself, a Power Flush could not be the best, I have heard that some pressure can be very high. We are getting a new boiler / rads put in and they are doing a chemical flush rather than power flush

Aprisa

Original Poster:

1,422 posts

143 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
Ok, I'll give it go, £300 sounded a bit steep to me anyway!
Thanks Chaps
Nick

Trevelyan

680 posts

74 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
A lot of suppliers try and insist on a powerflush or the warranty on the new boiler is void. I refused to pay for it with my new boiler. Apart from being a lot of money, I'd heard that it can create a load more problems on an older system. The pressure used and the stength of the chemicals can open up old leaks which have sealed themselves, or create new ones. As a plumber friend told me, if your heating system doesn't leak now, it probably will after a powerflush...

I went down the DIY route. Fill the system with a cleaner (I used Sentinel X400) and let it run round the system for a while (I opted for 6 months, mainly because I forgot it was in there hehe). Once that's done the flush the system through, one radiator at a time until the flushing water runs clear. Drain down, then fill up again with clean water and inhibitor. Job done...
Advertisement

MrV

2,692 posts

113 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
I just went and hired the system iirc it was about £100 including the chemicals for a weekend hire and not that hard a job to do as long as you can use a spanner

ferg

15,242 posts

142 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
I've NEVER known a system leak after a powerflush with the exception of the glands on the radiator valves. These can usually be tightened anyway.
Flushing with X400, Superfloc etc is all very well, but it really isn't a patch on a PROPERLY UNDERTAKEN Powerflush.
Anyone fitting a new combination boiler on an old system without powerflushing is asking for trouble. The plate heatexchanger makes an awesome filter and I've had to replace one on a 2 week old boiler before thanks to yet another cowboy 'plumber'.. rolleyes

vanman

130 posts

120 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
ferg said:
I've NEVER known a system leak after a powerflush with the exception of the glands on the radiator valves. These can usually be tightened anyway.
Flushing with X400, Superfloc etc is all very well, but it really isn't a patch on a PROPERLY UNDERTAKEN Powerflush.
Anyone fitting a new combination boiler on an old system without powerflushing is asking for trouble. The plate heatexchanger makes an awesome filter and I've had to replace one on a 2 week old boiler before thanks to yet another cowboy 'plumber'.. rolleyes
I always powerflush before a boiler install/upgrade and i've never known a system leak after i've done it if it wasn't before.Always seems funny the guys bad mouthing the powerflush are the ones who usually don't have the kit to do it properly.
I'd agree with Ferg that fitting a new boiler onto an old system without a proper powerflush asking for trouble.

ferg

15,242 posts

142 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
vanman said:
I'd agree with Ferg that fitting a new boiler onto an old system without a proper powerflush asking for trouble.
I think if the system's not too bad you might well risk it with a conventional heating-only boiler (if you really were on a tight budget), but a modern combination boiler is just crazy.

King Herald

19,578 posts

101 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
Trevelyan said:
A lot of suppliers try and insist on a powerflush or the warranty on the new boiler is void. I refused to pay for it with my new boiler. Apart from being a lot of money, I'd heard that it can create a load more problems on an older system. The pressure used and the stength of the chemicals can open up old leaks which have sealed themselves, or create new ones. As a plumber friend told me, if your heating system doesn't leak now, it probably will after a powerflush...

I went down the DIY route. Fill the system with a cleaner (I used Sentinel X400) and let it run round the system for a while (I opted for 6 months, mainly because I forgot it was in there hehe). Once that's done the flush the system through, one radiator at a time until the flushing water runs clear. Drain down, then fill up again with clean water and inhibitor. Job done...
British Gas Homecare refused to change my water pump unless I had a full power flush, saying the noisy pump would just fail again unless the system was cleaned properly. I added a 1/2 gallon of treatment, forget the name, and the noisy pump went quiet. That was two years ago, and I've not heard a squeak from it since.


smile



Of course, now I've typed the above, it will probably fail spectacularly within the week, taking out the entire second floor of my maison, and probably scalding me to within an inch of my life. frown


ferg

15,242 posts

142 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
King Herald said:
British Gas Homecare refused to change my water pump unless I had a full power flush, saying the noisy pump would just fail again unless the system was cleaned properly.
I'm saying nothing.......

2 sMoKiN bArReLs

17,704 posts

120 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
ferg said:
King Herald said:
British Gas Homecare refused to change my water pump unless I had a full power flush, saying the noisy pump would just fail again unless the system was cleaned properly.
I'm saying nothing.......
...first time for everything! biggrin

Wacky Racer

22,116 posts

132 months

[news] 
Monday 17th November 2008 quote quote all
vanman said:
ferg said:
I've NEVER known a system leak after a powerflush with the exception of the glands on the radiator valves. These can usually be tightened anyway.
Flushing with X400, Superfloc etc is all very well, but it really isn't a patch on a PROPERLY UNDERTAKEN Powerflush.
Anyone fitting a new combination boiler on an old system without powerflushing is asking for trouble. The plate heatexchanger makes an awesome filter and I've had to replace one on a 2 week old boiler before thanks to yet another cowboy 'plumber'.. rolleyes
I always powerflush before a boiler install/upgrade and i've never known a system leak after i've done it if it wasn't before.Always seems funny the guys bad mouthing the powerflush are the ones who usually don't have the kit to do it properly.
I'd agree with Ferg that fitting a new boiler onto an old system without a proper powerflush asking for trouble.
whistle

phumy

3,904 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th November 2008 quote quote all
Just got my local plumber to do a flush and fill refill on the CH system, cost me 60 quid inc treatment of Fernox
Reply to Topic