Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

mrloudly

Original Poster:

2,379 posts

115 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-1786...

What's this all about??? Noise was unreal, made a Typhoon on re-heat seem like a toy...

Eric Mc

74,219 posts

145 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Skylon programme - deadly serious.

Munter

24,852 posts

121 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Interesting. But if they think they are going to fly about in space using a jet engine they may be disappointed....

Eric Mc

74,219 posts

145 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
I think they know what they are doing. Alan Bond has been running this project for almost 30 years. At one stage BAe were involved.At that time it was called HOTOL.

DamienB

796 posts

99 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Bravery testing a jet engine in the open air with just an office window to protect you from any flying bits!!
Advertisement

FourWheelDrift

59,974 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
DamienB said:
Bravery testing a jet engine in the open air with just an office window to protect you from any flying bits!!
It's the British way, slightly above garden shed testing. NASA would spend millions building a concrete reinforced bunker 30miles from anything else, they use a small area behind the office where the secretary normally parks her car.

It works though. smile

davepoth

22,618 posts

79 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Munter said:
Interesting. But if they think they are going to fly about in
space using a jet engine they may be disappointed....
Do pay attention. wink

FourWheelDrift

59,974 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all

Munter

24,852 posts

121 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
davepoth said:
Munter said:
Interesting. But if they think they are going to fly about in
space using a jet engine they may be disappointed....
Do pay attention. wink
Unless I missed something in the video. The BBC think this jet engine will take the vehicle into space.

So turn on jet engine --- space. Bargain.

(I don't think the engineers involved believe this. I'm pointing out the BBC appear to have skipped some important facts. Or if they have not engineering in the UK is doomed!)

FourWheelDrift

59,974 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
It does say on the BBC webpage "The key is a unique design for an engine that operates as a jet and rocket motor combined. "

Munter

24,852 posts

121 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
FourWheelDrift said:
It does say on the BBC webpage "The key is a unique design for an engine that operates as a jet and rocket motor combined. "
In the...Where the...Well ... fine.

In my defence who actually reads the text under a video story. See video, click play, absorb, close page. Bad form by the BBC I'd say.

davepoth

22,618 posts

79 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Munter said:
FourWheelDrift said:
It does say on the BBC webpage "The key is a unique design for an engine that operates as a jet and rocket motor combined. "
In the...Where the...Well ... fine.

In my defence who actually reads the text under a video story. See video, click play, absorb, close page. Bad form by the BBC I'd say.
Here's the full article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-1786...

DJRC

21,347 posts

116 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
The programme is a stretch. From a practical point of view aerospace and space work to different standards.

From a technological pov the temps it will have to handle with the materials are a complete bd, the STM will be incredibly complex. It will give ESA a heart attack for a start smile

The DML, DMPL and DPLs will be fun smile I hope they succeed, it will be £100/hr job to get that through cert !

marksx

1,916 posts

70 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Ooh, interesting. I have never seen this before. Named after the 50's floating tower?

How does a nitrogen boiler work?


dr_gn

8,303 posts

64 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
Was that a test of the engine, or just the cooling system?

FourWheelDrift

59,974 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
dr_gn said:
Was that a test of the engine, or just the cooling system?
Testing the cooling system whilst attached to an old 1960s Rolls-Royce Viper jet engine, the engine is used to draw the air through to make the heat exchanger work.

dr_gn

8,303 posts

64 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
FourWheelDrift said:
dr_gn said:
Was that a test of the engine, or just the cooling system?
Testing the cooling system whilst attached to an old 1960s Rolls-Royce Viper jet engine, the engine is used to draw the air through to make the heat exchanger work.
Mmmmm. So hardly an 'engine test' then.

FourWheelDrift

59,974 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
If the cooling doesn't work the engine won't work, why risk a very expensive prototype. This is the first of many tests.

davepoth

22,618 posts

79 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
dr_gn said:
Mmmmm. So hardly an 'engine test' then.
The cooling system is the only really novel bit of the engine so it made sense to check it first.

dr_gn

8,303 posts

64 months

[news] 
Friday 27th April 2012 quote quote all
FourWheelDrift said:
If the cooling doesn't work the engine won't work, why risk a very expensive prototype. This is the first of many tests.
Just saying it's not an engine test.

It's not like the next step is fitting it to a 'spaceplane' and everyone miraculously gets to go to sapce for £10.

This thing's been dragging on for decades.

2
Reply to Topic