Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 6 7
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Nick1point9

Original Poster:

3,621 posts

68 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
A lot of competent road bikes and with a competent rider can top 40mph, so what would happen if a cyclist was caught doing 40mph in a 20 or 30 zone?

Purely hypothetical, just interested.

Red 4

2,511 posts

75 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Not again.

Using the search feature is quicker than asking.


TonyHetherington

31,853 posts

138 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Yes.

Red 4

2,511 posts

75 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
How about a horse and rider in a 20 MPH limit, for example ?

How about an electric assisted bike ?

Furious cycling ?

Let the debate commence...

ps Dangerous and reckless cycling (offences) bill is currently winging its way through Parliament

Edited by Red 4 on Thursday 4th October 14:12

Hooli

28,546 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
TonyHetherington said:
Yes.
No.
Advertisement

daz3210

5,000 posts

128 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
I always thought No.

But since I am usually wrong, the answer may be Yes laugh

Melman Giraffe

4,812 posts

106 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Red 4 said:
Not again.

Using the search feature is quicker than asking.
search feature quicker you are joking?

Everyone knows it doesn't work wink

Johnnytheboy

10,626 posts

74 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Melman Giraffe said:
Red 4 said:
Not again.

Using the search feature is quicker than asking.
search feature quicker you are joking?

Everyone knows it doesn't work wink
Beat me to it!

Probably didn't beat the search function though.

RBOnline

84 posts

56 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Going off what I see on a daily basis, cyclists don't have to adhere to any rules of the road, do they?

Especially red lights. They definitely don't seem to apply.

PurpleMoonlight

2,990 posts

45 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Hooli said:
TonyHetherington said:
Yes.
No.
Definately either of them .......

daz3210

5,000 posts

128 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Being as there is no requirement in law to have a speedo on a bike, could it be enforced in any event?

Hooli

28,546 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
PurpleMoonlight said:
Hooli said:
TonyHetherington said:
Yes.
No.
Definately either of them .......
I'll change my vote to 'maybe'.

KevinA4quattro

6,087 posts

168 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Speed limits apply to motor vehicles, therefore no they do not.

TonyHetherington

31,853 posts

138 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Well we've cleared that up hehe

I've not investigated, but my memory had that there are many "motor vehicle" based limits in the highway code, but, but there are a couple of all governing "all traffic" ones that means bikes are covered. Happy to be proved wrong!

streaky

19,311 posts

137 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
PurpleMoonlight said:
Hooli said:
TonyHetherington said:
Yes.
No.
Definately either of them .......
Possibly at least one of them.

Streaky

TonyHetherington

31,853 posts

138 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
In trying to find the answer it's just reminded me why I wrote quite a few letters to the creators of the new highway code website, because it's utter rubbish and you're unable to find anything you actually want.

So, I did try to find the answer, but got annoyed at the crap website.

Willy Holloughby

252 posts

31 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
The cyclist who got caught underneath my car didnt stick to the speed limit for about 3 miles.

Pontoneer

3,464 posts

74 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
Being as there is no requirement in law to have a speedo on a bike, could it be enforced in any event?
On the principle that ignorance is no excuse , and nothing prevents you from fitting a speedometer , then the absence of one would be no obstacle to being charged .

The limit is a limit for anyone using the road ; there is nothing to specify that it only applies to certain classes of road user .

Some people seem to think that cyclists are exempt , but I have yet to see LAW which specifically states that .

A cyclist coming down a hill at high speed towards a junction where he might be unable to stop is just as much of a menace as any other type of road user travelling at excessive speed . He may be more of a menace to himself than to anyone else , although a cyclist hitting a pedestrian could still cause serious injury .


MoelyCrio

2,025 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
Pontoneer said:
On the principle that ignorance is no excuse , and nothing prevents you from fitting a speedometer , then the absence of one would be no obstacle to being charged .

The limit is a limit for anyone using the road ; there is nothing to specify that it only applies to certain classes of road user .

Some people seem to think that cyclists are exempt , but I have yet to see LAW which specifically states that .

A cyclist coming down a hill at high speed towards a junction where he might be unable to stop is just as much of a menace as any other type of road user travelling at excessive speed . He may be more of a menace to himself than to anyone else , although a cyclist hitting a pedestrian could still cause serious injury .
90% of cyclists capable of doing 30mph will have a GPS unit and be well aware of their speed.

Greg66

2,956 posts

66 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
The correct answer is no. The relevant legislation applies to vehicles and defines them in a way that does not include cyclists.

There are exceptions, however. Richmond Park, for example, is subject a different legislation that applies to cycles as well as cars. The police have been known to stand at the foot of some of the inclines lasering all and sundry. Often after there have been a spate of complaints about "bloody cyclists".
2 3 ... 6 7
Reply to Topic