Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Friday 6th April 2012

Pic Of The Week: Hayabusa vs Radical

Two very different applications for Suzuki's fabulous Hayabusa engine, one very cool pic



This week's Pic Of The Week celebrates the classic speed junky question of which is quicker: car or bike?

PH2's Jon Urry chose to answer the question by pitting a Suzuki Hayabusa against Radical SR3 RS. The beauty of this wee comparison is that they share the same high-revving Suzuki engine - levelling the playing field slightly. The results are somewhat unsurprising; the bike dominated the straights, while the slick-shod Radical was superior on the brakes and through corners. Both, in their own way, are hugely impressive machines.

And whether you enjoy your kicks on four or two wheels, we think you will appreciate the commitment shown by both the guys in this snapshot of their day at Bruntingthorpe.

Traditional (4:3)
Computer widescreen (16:10)
TV widescreen (16:9)
Portrait (smartphone)

kyleecob
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

RegMolehusband

Original Poster:

2,688 posts

142 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all
Nice picture. I assume the Radical has to seriously back off not to run over the bike on that bend wink

fuchsiasteve

207 posts

91 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all
Would be interesting to see the difference in lap times between them both.

Dave Hedgehog

7,229 posts

89 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all
RegMolehusband said:
Nice picture. I assume the Radical has to seriously back off not to run over the bike on that bend wink
hes changing tune on his ipod as he goes past the bike tongue out

MonkeyMatt

5,297 posts

92 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all
So who won?

y2blade

54,388 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
RegMolehusband said:
Nice picture. I assume the Radical has to seriously back off not to run over the bike on that bend wink
hes changing tune on his ipod as he goes past the bike tongue out
hehe


Advertisement

DaveH23

1,266 posts

55 months

[news] 
Friday 6th April 2012 quote quote all

Dave Hedgehog

7,229 posts

89 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
DaveH23 said:
fixed the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2HoCLMV5gI

i thought radicals where fast in a straight line, the bike destroyed it as thou it was parked???


RegMolehusband

Original Poster:

2,688 posts

142 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Impressive acceleration on the bike of course but I'd say the Radical is keeping a safe distance under braking and cornering and so its exit speeds are being compromised.

Edited by RegMolehusband on Saturday 7th April 09:30

B'stard Child

7,146 posts

131 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
DaveH23 said:
fixed the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2HoCLMV5gI

i thought radicals where fast in a straight line, the bike destroyed it as thou it was parked???
I'd like to know the comparative lap times for the two (especially if the radical did any laps without a passenger)

As the video graphically shows in the later section the bike was holding up the radical but I'm not sure the corner speed would make up for the domination the bike had down the straights

Dave Hedgehog

7,229 posts

89 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
B'stard Child said:
Dave Hedgehog said:
DaveH23 said:
fixed the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2HoCLMV5gI

i thought radicals where fast in a straight line, the bike destroyed it as thou it was parked???
I'd like to know the comparative lap times for the two (especially if the radical did any laps without a passenger)

As the video graphically shows in the later section the bike was holding up the radical but I'm not sure the corner speed would make up for the domination the bike had down the straights
I did a track day back end of last year with some very fast track toy road cars, the radicals where racing there at the weekend and a lot had come to practise before the race. The radicals where pissing past everything like it was parked so gawd knows how fast that bike is.


obscene

3,997 posts

70 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
I'm pretty sure a 1000cc sports would be a touch faster than a Busa too. God knows it'd handle better. smile

Conian

7,939 posts

86 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Same engine levels the playing field...
Like racing a Porsche 924 against a VW LT van?

nellyleelephant

2,365 posts

119 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Slight difference in acceleration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRX3KZjQmK0&fea...

mrmr96

13,628 posts

89 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
B'stard Child said:
I'm not sure the corner speed would make up for the domination the bike had down the straights
Evidently the braking and cornering of the car DOES make up for the domination of the bike on the straights - this is demonstrated by the fact that despite the healthy lead built on the straight, the car always caught the bike in the corner. (i.e. it made the gap back up in one braking zone)

I think if the bike would lap faster than the car then over the course of the video you'd have seen it pull away into the distance and disappear. However it didn't do that.

If the car was faster over a full lap then it would stay in touch with the bike, rather than fall off the back of it. The car would have pulled into the lead if the bike didn't hold it up in the corners. (I.e. the bike was never held up, but couldn't pull away enough that it wasn't caught back up under brakes each time. The car was held up.)

I think the video demonstrates that this car, with this driver was lapping that particular track on that day, faster than that bike with that rider.

Fort Jefferson

7,599 posts

107 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Slick shod racing car, faster around corners than a bog standard 6 grand Busa. Who'd have thought it.

Simon says

11,376 posts

106 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
obscene said:
I'm pretty sure a 1000cc sports would be a touch faster than a Busa too. God knows it'd handle better. smile
yes

dunc_sx

597 posts

82 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Always thought this was a fairer test as it's got a sporty bike in it:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man0X0bf8vk

Dunc.

jason61c

1,422 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Fort Jefferson said:
Slick shod racing car, faster around corners than a bog standard 6 grand Busa. Who'd have thought it.
£60k slick shod radical faster than a 6k busa. A 1000cc sportsbike would lap a couple of seconds faster than the hayabusa..

bamberwell

1,244 posts

47 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
radical - track day special/racing car, 'busa - fast tourer......... same engine means fk all
lotus elise s1 vs rover hmmmmmmmmmm

LordFlathead

8,652 posts

143 months

[news] 
Saturday 7th April 2012 quote quote all
Well let's have a think about that.. what the does the Radical weigh to the Busa?

The Radical has to drag all the extra weight but the engine was not designed to be torquey, rather it develops a load of hp all at peak revs.

The Radical corners better.. no st! It has at least four times the contact patch, no doubt with slicks or soft compound so it can stop faster and corner quicker.

The bike leaves it standing on the straights - of course it does, that engine was designed to go in that frame.

Great video but did not expect to see anything really smile
2
Reply to Topic