Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Monday 17th September 2012

Time for Tea? McLaren P12 teaser

Last week's picture is now a film, but it still doesn't give much away



Following from last week's enigmatic image, McLaren have now released a short clip of what is believed to be its imminent 'new F1', codenamed P12.

So what's changed in a few days? Well, it certainly isn't a full-scale reveal (that won't come until Paris), but you do get to see more of the shape from different angles. McLaren certainly seems to be ramping up the drama with this car, the clearest silhouette being revealed in red and the intense soundtrack adding to the theatre.

Clearly the focus is on how the new car will cleave the air (the video is called 'McLaren vs. Aerodynamics, after all), which suggests lots of F1-style wind tunnel development. Given the effectiveness of the airbrake fitted to the MP4-12C, it wouldn't be a surprise to see some active aerodynamics feature on the P12.

But, of course, this is only what we can make out. Watch the video a few times with a brew and see what you can infer. Does this have the makings of an all-conquering hypercar?


Matt Bird
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

dave stew

Original Poster:

1,502 posts

53 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Ey up - that's reet poncey. You can tease anyone with computer graphics these days!!

j001

9 posts

68 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
f you pause it at 46 secs you can see the front end. Which admittedly isnt much but its the best view so far

Hellbound

2,246 posts

62 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about the new cloaking technology.

Anyway, here's something from Jalopnik;




RudolphsOwner

118 posts

32 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
I like these build ups when they're done right, teaser videos are much better than teaser pics...

boycie1

27 posts

70 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Zonda Hryuraui.... hyrururu.... hrruuyaai.....oh forget it.
Advertisement

trunks82

194 posts

84 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
boycie1 said:
Zonda Hryuraui.... hyrururu.... hrruuyaai.....oh forget it.
Indeed.i was just explaining to my son about the new zonda and had no idea how to pronounce it

Hellbound

2,246 posts

62 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
trunks82 said:
boycie1 said:
Zonda Hryuraui.... hyrururu.... hrruuyaai.....oh forget it.
Indeed.i was just explaining to my son about the new zonda and had no idea how to pronounce it
It's the new Pagani for crying out loud! biggrin

chieflief

140 posts

66 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Still not sure about the styling of those side air intakes. Perhaps the P12's will be slightly different than on the MP12-C...

Agent Orange

1,917 posts

132 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Did I "see" a double bubble roof in that teaser? It appears very wide and low.

dtrump

1,545 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
Please please please please please dont fk it up McLaren

The mp4-12c is super fast but maybe doesnt look or sound absolutely fantastic

The F1 was and is something which constantly puts my salivary glands into overtime

Please please please please please please please please pleeeeeeease make this look from another world and with the acoustics that no one has even imagined yet




lets see

Sofoklis

102 posts

28 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
I haven't read much about it but Is this new P12 meant to be the successor to the F1? I am somehow sceptical but will see what the gurus at McLaren have engineered.

6 litre naturally aspirated V12, 620bhp, 6 speed "H" pattern manual gearbox, Sub 1300kg kerb weight, Carbon fibre body, no traction control, no power brakes, no ABS, no power assisted steering and no driver aid gizmo's are things that make the F1 special.
We are all well aware that car technology, crash and emission control regulations have changed since the early 90s, so producing something similar to the F1 will be damn sight difficult.
Im not expecting a V12 but I am expecting electrics galore. So in my opinion a car not comparable to the F1.

trickymex

85 posts

68 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
dtrump said:
Please please please please please dont fk it up McLaren

The mp4-12c is super fast but maybe doesnt look or sound absolutely fantastic

The F1 was and is something which constantly puts my salivary glands into overtime

Please please please please please please please please pleeeeeeease make this look from another world and with the acoustics that no one has even imagined yet




lets see
Or you could just ask the mclaren Special operations team to make a bespoke one for precisely to your own tastes?


Point being that they cannot make it appeal to everyone. beleive it or not some don't like the mclaren F1.

Sorry, that was blasphemous! I'll go birch myself now




dtrump

1,545 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 14th September 2012 quote quote all
trickymex said:
Or you could just ask the mclaren Special operations team to make a bespoke one for precisely to your own tastes?


Point being that they cannot make it appeal to everyone. beleive it or not some don't like the mclaren F1.

Sorry, that was blasphemous! I'll go birch myself now
sadly yes you are probably correct

most people out there do not crave exciting cars anymore

a noise from the engine?!!...... oh no! it hurts my ears so

forward thinking aesthetics you admire?.......no thanks, I want something to blend in. The lack of sound helps here also

its 2012, and I now realise Im wrong for thinking McLarens top newest bestest car ever to be exciting

silly me

MSTRBKR

5,962 posts

84 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
Sofoklis said:
6 litre naturally aspirated V12, 620bhp, 6 speed "H" pattern manual gearbox, Sub 1300kg kerb weight, Carbon fibre body, no traction control, no power brakes, no ABS, no power assisted steering and no driver aid gizmo's are things that make the F1 special.
We are all well aware that car technology, crash and emission control regulations have changed since the early 90s, so producing something similar to the F1 will be damn sight difficult.
Im not expecting a V12 but I am expecting electrics galore. So in my opinion a car not comparable to the F1.
If they make anything like you have just said it will be way too slow. McLaren push the boundaries of technology, there is simply no chance that it will not be heavily optimised by computers. It will surely be heavier than 1300kg, but a lot more powerful that 620bhp.

Why would you want them to make another car like the F1? That car has been made already, groundbreaking in its day but now it's time for something new. Companies have to move on to stay in the game, and people have to accept this.

Repent

260 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
Sofoklis said:
I haven't read much about it but Is this new P12 meant to be the successor to the F1? I am somehow sceptical but will see what the gurus at McLaren have engineered.

6 litre naturally aspirated V12, 620bhp, 6 speed "H" pattern manual gearbox, Sub 1300kg kerb weight, Carbon fibre body, no traction control, no power brakes, no ABS, no power assisted steering and no driver aid gizmo's are things that make the F1 special.
We are all well aware that car technology, crash and emission control regulations have changed since the early 90s, so producing something similar to the F1 will be damn sight difficult.
Im not expecting a V12 but I am expecting electrics galore. So in my opinion a car not comparable to the F1.
I fear the same. Clearly this car is a grasp at not just the podium but a position elevated above it, since thats whats expected of them thanks to the F1 and from what I gather what they expect of themselves from the manner in which they operate. With the use of modern electronics it may be a hypercar but end up being a feat of computer engineering as the Veyron is the ultimate pub pin up thanks to doing the same but aiming for the numbers. To recreate something akin to the F1 would be donned as almost kit car-ish now and would never sit well above the tech laden MP4. Its going to have to be NA at the very least to provide what 'we' expect shirley, which would have risen separately from the MP4's R&D although obviously they have the F1 knowledge to utilise.

The games moved on so much can this car really sit at the top of all factors and be the best driving machine without slotting itself down a certain path? I wait in hope that they do, from what I gather the MP4 may be the more efficient and dominant performer but it was the 458 which won the drivers title in the last bout. I feel we may have left the age of the objectively dominant super/hypercar to the subjective.

Massive anticipation...



Edited by Repent on Saturday 15th September 01:39

Justices

2,927 posts

50 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
Good effort here I think. Soundtrack helped to enhance the tease. Lotus, take note.

Sofoklis

102 posts

28 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
MSTRBKR said:
Sofoklis said:
6 litre naturally aspirated V12, 620bhp, 6 speed "H" pattern manual gearbox, Sub 1300kg kerb weight, Carbon fibre body, no traction control, no power brakes, no ABS, no power assisted steering and no driver aid gizmo's are things that make the F1 special.
We are all well aware that car technology, crash and emission control regulations have changed since the early 90s, so producing something similar to the F1 will be damn sight difficult.
Im not expecting a V12 but I am expecting electrics galore. So in my opinion a car not comparable to the F1.
If they make anything like you have just said it will be way too slow. McLaren push the boundaries of technology, there is simply no chance that it will not be heavily optimised by computers. It will surely be heavier than 1300kg, but a lot more powerful that 620bhp.

Why would you want them to make another car like the F1? That car has been made already, groundbreaking in its day but now it's time for something new. Companies have to move on to stay in the game, and people have to accept this.
Why would they make another F1 you say? and companies need to move on to stay in the game. I disagree with that and here's why;

The F1 was the best car in its generation and all by using great basic engineering principles. You wont find anything fancy on the F1 with the exception of the 24c gold leaf foil used for heat management. Its principles was based on lightweight materials, the best materials available, Naturally aspirated high output engine, a carbon construction, well balanced chassis, and streamlined body. The speed and performance figures were a result of the finished example.

How many super cars are produced in this day and age that are just full of driver aids? To the purist all the electric add ons take away the magic no matter how good the car is.
To those rich enough and fortunate enough who own McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos, Bugattis, Zondas etc... It will be interesting to see what they prefer, which is a drivers car and which is merely and engineering fort. Do they prefer the modern day computer controlled car or those that make you think about what you are doing behind the wheel, where traction control is monitored and controlled by the drivers feel in his backside, feet and hands.

Surely out of all current modern day hyper cars the Zonda is the nearest thing to the F1. That is what I am hoping McLaren re-produced.
From a manufacturing point of view, think of the costings and weight McLaren will save if gizmos were thrown out and simplicity was introduced into design.
Surely there is still room in the hyper car market for an improvement to what already exists?

Modern day technology has moved on leaps and bounds but is it essential for every new car to have it all?
There are cars out there that are faster and better well equip't in comparison to the F1 but it seems no matter what car they are, they all look up and admire the F1. Still the King.

Munich

1,013 posts

82 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
very, Tron: Legacy

MSTRBKR

5,962 posts

84 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
Sofoklis said:
Why would they make another F1 you say? and companies need to move on to stay in the game. I disagree with that and here's why;

The F1 was the best car in its generation and all by using great basic engineering principles. You wont find anything fancy on the F1 with the exception of the 24c gold leaf foil used for heat management. Its principles was based on lightweight materials, the best materials available, Naturally aspirated high output engine, a carbon construction, well balanced chassis, and streamlined body. The speed and performance figures were a result of the finished example.

How many super cars are produced in this day and age that are just full of driver aids? To the purist all the electric add ons take away the magic no matter how good the car is.
To those rich enough and fortunate enough who own McLarens, Ferraris, Lambos, Bugattis, Zondas etc... It will be interesting to see what they prefer, which is a drivers car and which is merely and engineering fort. Do they prefer the modern day computer controlled car or those that make you think about what you are doing behind the wheel, where traction control is monitored and controlled by the drivers feel in his backside, feet and hands.

Surely out of all current modern day hyper cars the Zonda is the nearest thing to the F1. That is what I am hoping McLaren re-produced.
From a manufacturing point of view, think of the costings and weight McLaren will save if gizmos were thrown out and simplicity was introduced into design.
Surely there is still room in the hyper car market for an improvement to what already exists?

Modern day technology has moved on leaps and bounds but is it essential for every new car to have it all?
There are cars out there that are faster and better well equip't in comparison to the F1 but it seems no matter what car they are, they all look up and admire the F1. Still the King.
I do think companies need to move on because I don't think that the flagship McLaren should have the same philosophy as the F1, there are plenty of cars like that available from smaller manufacturers now.

Surely the F1 was technologically advanced for the period its time? I wonder if this forum existed 20 years ago whether there would be some objection to some of the new technology in that car? I don't doubt that it's a 'purists' car, but that's somewhat down to the fact that it was made in the early 90s when electronics like this didn't exist. The F1 was clearly very fast, I just don't think that applying the same philosophy today will produce the car everyone expects.

This is about choice. If McLaren make the fastest car using any technology they can, and other manufacturers make a more basic car that is more involving to drive, then you make your choice as the consumer about what you want.

Also I do think people overract about driving aids ruining the experience when they say the GTR or the MP4-12C is boring. It's almost become a bit of a buzz phrase.

dtrump

1,545 posts

77 months

[news] 
Saturday 15th September 2012 quote quote all
MSTRBKR said:
I do think people overract about driving aids ruining the experience when they say the GTR or the MP4-12C is boring
They arent boring but just think how good they could have been.

I would rather they were a couple of seconds slower around a track and provided more entertainment

Back to back drives of a tuned r34 and then a new GTR has shown me that the GTR is much much faster but the old r34, was the more enjoyable drive. The r34 had under 500bhp it wasnt a total monster.


2 3
Reply to Topic