Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Thursday 7th April 2011

Junior Jaguar And XF 'RS' Projects Confirmed

New Jaguar product offensive supports extended global ambitions


Hallmark: 'We want to be yay big'...
Hallmark: 'We want to be yay big'...
Jaguar has confirmed it will build a BMW 3 series rivalling 'junior executive' model as part of its ambitious plans to turn the company into a true global player.

In spite of its major success stories with the new XJ and XF, the firm's global brand director Adrian Hallmark reckons a lack of breadth in the current product range makes Jaguar a British outfit 'participating successfully in certain global markets', rather than the truly global company it could (and should) be.

A major development offensive is therefore underway for the current line up, aimed at targeting obvious holes in the brand's global coverage, and which includes the imminent arrival of a four-cylinder diesel option for XF in Europe. The diesel will open up a vast new market sector for that car (one where BMW makes 60% of its 5 series sales) - and the programme also includes the development of a 4x4 drivetrain targeting North America, plus a crucial petrol V6 option for the XJ in China.

In the North American snow belt, 70% of premium imports are sold with 4x4 reckons Hallmark, so the addition of a 4x4 system will be key to the marque's expansion plans there. In China, import taxes mean a V6 powered XJ will cost half what a V8 costs (although it's still pricey at the equivalent of £100k!), so that too seems an obvious move.

XF is getting the 'RS' treatment - official!
XF is getting the 'RS' treatment - official!
Sadly no details have been made available about the car that will effectively be an X-type replacement though, or about the nature of the 4x4 system under development. Perhaps some well-informed PHers might be kind enough to enlighten us via news@pistonheads.com? No names, no pack drill, etc... (Cough!)

Among the many snippets of heartening product news was confirmation that there's an 'RS' version of the XF in the works. Or to paraphrase the man himself 'I can confirm there is a project to transfer the upgrades from the XKR-S to the XFR, but we haven't confirmed it for production yet. But it would be great to see the XF with 550hp!'

Adrian was speaking at the start of a major JLR 'media offensive' to which PH was invited at the start of this week. It was aimed at filling our heads with positive thoughts about the technical prowess of a company that's working flat out on all fronts towards being the best in every area in which it competes.

A rare peak inside JLR's 'virtual' world
A rare peak inside JLR's 'virtual' world
A noble aspiration, we felt, and having sat through two days of fascinating seminars from engineers working on everything from the Evoque's ground-breaking (sic?) Magneride suspension to JLR's amazing 'Virtual Reality Cave' (more on that later) we would have understood if even the visiting Chinese press pack left feeling, like us, distinctly proud of a British success story.

Chris-R
2 3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

A Scotsman

Original Poster:

966 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
"Adrian Hallmark reckons a lack of breadth in the current product range makes Jaguar a British outfit 'participating successfully in certain global markets', rather than the truly global company it could (and should) be."

But it's Indian not British so it is already global. Corporate control in Mumbai, design in UK, manufacturing in UK and soon to be in China as well probably.

filski666

3,206 posts

78 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
er..eh?
"Among the many snippets of heartening product news was confirmation that there's an 'RS' version of the XF in the works. Or to paraphrase the man himself 'I can confirm there is a project to transfer the upgrades from the XK RS to the XKR, but we haven't confirmed it for production yet. But it would be great to see the XKR with 550hp!'"

how does info about the XKR / XKRS confirm anything about an XF-RS?

george h

12,531 posts

50 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
I hope they don't put that stupid spoiler on the back on the XF-RS - otherwise should be fantastic

Gizmo!

18,103 posts

95 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Good that Tata are investing in their asset rather than letting it slide.

But it's all about the product. If it's genuinely better (and by better I mean as a package: costs, driving ability, reliability) than the competition, then it's great news. If it isn't... then a million flash press days won't save them.

Chris-R

740 posts

73 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
filski666 said:
er..eh?
"Among the many snippets of heartening product news was confirmation that there's an 'RS' version of the XF in the works. Or to paraphrase the man himself 'I can confirm there is a project to transfer the upgrades from the XK RS to the XKR, but we haven't confirmed it for production yet. But it would be great to see the XKR with 550hp!'"

how does info about the XKR / XKRS confirm anything about an XF-RS?
Oops. Slip of the keyboard... that should read 'to the XFR'. In fact, now it does! smile
Advertisement

Kong

1,491 posts

57 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
A Scotsman said:
"Adrian Hallmark reckons a lack of breadth in the current product range makes Jaguar a British outfit 'participating successfully in certain global markets', rather than the truly global company it could (and should) be."

But it's Indian not British so it is already global. Corporate control in Mumbai, design in UK, manufacturing in UK and soon to be in China as well probably.
Of course Jaguar is British, just because it is owned by the Indian's doesn't change that. Otherwise Volvo is a Chinese marque and Lotus Malaysian.

They are British cars designed by British engineers and we should be very proud. Jaguar is going through a renaissance period, look where they were 10 years ago compared to now - every car they make is a class leader. All they need is a 3 series rival to get volume sales and a decent four cylinder diesel - both of which they plan to do.

Maybe shortly after we will see a new F-Type small roadster, that would be nice.

Ex Boy Racer

553 posts

78 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Jaguar are getting there I think. The transition from 'old man' car to modern BMW competitor is not yet complete, but it is moving in the right direction which is great. Even better is that it is product-led rather than relying on flashy advertising to make up for a so-so product. More power to them.
I hope Lotus are observing this though. The move that Jaguar is making isn't huge - staying within their sector but modernising their image - and it is still a work in progress after a number of years. Lotus' plans are much more ambitious and will almost certainly take much longer, no matter how good their product is. I hope they have factored that in...

collateral

7,238 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
If they want to compete with BM they should offer manual transmissions. Even more so if they make a roadster

Hendry

1,945 posts

168 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Kong said:
A Scotsman said:
But it's Indian not British so it is already global. Corporate control in Mumbai, design in UK, manufacturing in UK and soon to be in China as well probably.
Of course Jaguar is British, just because it is owned by the Indian's doesn't change that. Otherwise Volvo is a Chinese marque and Lotus Malaysian.
Agreed. Who thinks of Chrysler as Italian? Or Nissan as part-French?

Vantagefan

592 posts

56 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Hendry said:
Agreed. Who thinks of Chrysler as Italian? Or Nissan as part-French?
Or Aston Martin as Kuwaiti?

HeMightBeBanned

217 posts

64 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Vantagefan said:
Or Aston Martin as Kuwaiti?
Or Lamborghini as German.

Or Rolls Royce as German.

Or SEAT as German.

Or Bentley as German.

Or Bugatti as German.

Or... well, you get the idea.

plasticpig

9,258 posts

111 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
collateral said:
If they want to compete with BM they should offer manual transmissions. Even more so if they make a roadster
BMW don't do a 7 series manual. Only around 5% of 5 series BMW's sold in the US are manual transmission. I am not sure how a manual transmission would help in the marketplaces Jaguar want to target.




collateral

7,238 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
plasticpig said:
collateral said:
If they want to compete with BM they should offer manual transmissions. Even more so if they make a roadster
BMW don't do a 7 series manual. Only around 5% of 5 series BMW's sold in the US are manual transmission. I am not sure how a manual transmission would help in the marketplaces Jaguar want to target.
Hrm. Doesn't surprise me about the Yanks, but a slushmatic roadster would be a wasted opportunity imo. I've found you're much more likely to find a manual on 'performance' cars over there than on something dull

plasticpig

9,258 posts

111 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
collateral said:
Hrm. Doesn't surprise me about the Yanks, but a slushmatic roadster would be a wasted opportunity imo. I've found you're much more likely to find a manual on 'performance' cars over there than on something dull
I will hazard a guess that the roadster will have a flappy paddle set up.

RicksAlfas

6,196 posts

130 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Hendry said:
Kong said:
A Scotsman said:
But it's Indian not British so it is already global. Corporate control in Mumbai, design in UK, manufacturing in UK and soon to be in China as well probably.
Of course Jaguar is British, just because it is owned by the Indian's doesn't change that. Otherwise Volvo is a Chinese marque and Lotus Malaysian.
Agreed. Who thinks of Chrysler as Italian? Or Nissan as part-French?
The same knobs who'd go up to a Lambo owner and say "how's your Audi", or similar. You get the idea...
rolleyes

Good news for Jaguar anyway!
A RWD 3-series sized rival would be great. They've got to get the emissions down for the fleet cars though.
At the minute the 320d is so hard to ignore if you are in that market.

toohuge

2,342 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Jaguar appears to be going round in circles, the previous x-type had 4WD and now they are suggesting that 4WD will be a USP.

plasticpig

9,258 posts

111 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
toohuge said:
Jaguar appears to be going round in circles, the previous x-type had 4WD and now they are suggesting that 4WD will be a USP.
That was a Mondeo in drag though. Slightly different thing to produce a design from scratch.


Chris-R

740 posts

73 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
plasticpig said:
That was a Mondeo in drag though. Slightly different thing to produce a design from scratch.
And not a USP either in North America where it's primarily being aimed - Jaguar sees it as 'catching up' with the competition.

benebob

314 posts

67 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Hendry said:
Agreed. Who thinks of Chrysler as Italian?
I do and even Chrysler does with their new US commercials. Imported from Detroit. Never knew there was a Detroit, Italy but I'm not so good with geography. smile

I am so excited about a awd version of the Jag, that means when the wife's X type wears out I'll be able to stay with a Jag. She is snow driving challenged.

A.J.M

4,842 posts

72 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th April 2011 quote quote all
Chris-R said:
plasticpig said:
That was a Mondeo in drag though. Slightly different thing to produce a design from scratch.
And not a USP either in North America where it's primarily being aimed - Jaguar sees it as 'catching up' with the competition.
Is'nt it landrovers job to be the 4x4 sellers and jag to be the luxury car sellers though?

Good news on the 3 series rival though, the 320d is the car to beat for driving and for emmissions though so theres the benchmark.
2 3 4
Reply to Topic