Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Du1point8

16,183 posts

76 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
Du1point8 said:
No one deserves this, but I wish people would actually think before just entering/trespassing on a farmers field.
How do you know it was trespass?

We have a several public footpaths near us that pass through fields where cows and bullocks are regularly grazed.

In such a situation is there not a duty of care imposed on the farmer to ensure that either the public are safe when exercising their rights to use the public footpath, or in the alternate, are aware that the animals in there may pose an increased danger due to having calves?
DM would have mentioned a public footpath and not missed something like that out. They are not that crap at news.

otolith

25,287 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Du1point8 said:
Sad to see the after affect of going onto a farmers field whilst walking dog:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216273/Pe...

Some people are actually blaming the farmer for not putting up a sign to say its dangerous to go in the field when the cows have calves, so its partly his fault.

No one deserves this, but I wish people would actually think before just entering/trespassing on a farmers field.
The irony of that is that is that if you are attacked by cows because you have a dog, the advice from the NFU is to let the dog off the lead - the cows are after the dog, and the dog can run faster than you or the cows.

y2blade

54,388 posts

99 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
Du1point8 said:
No one deserves this, but I wish people would actually think before just entering/trespassing on a farmers field.
How do you know it was trespass?

We have a several public footpaths near us that pass through fields where cows and bullocks are regularly grazed.

In such a situation is there not a duty of care imposed on the farmer to ensure that either the public are safe when exercising their rights to use the public footpath, or in the alternate, are aware that the animals in there may pose an increased danger due to having calves?
Either way Having the "right of way" is not much good when you are dead.

It would appear that Common sense went out of the window years ago.

daz3210

5,000 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Du1point8 said:
DM would have mentioned a public footpath and not missed something like that out. They are not that crap at news.
I dunno the area, but looking online there does appear to be a couple of routes that may be regularly walked paths. OK, they may not be officially designated as public footpaths, but how many routes are used regular and simply have not been officially recognised as such? The farmer could still have been lax in his lack of warning, even if the route the old girl was on was not officially a public footpath. Dog walkers do tend to be somewhat repetitive in the routes they walk their dogs, so it may be fair to consider this was a regular route for her.


daz3210

5,000 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
y2blade said:
Either way Having the "right of way" is not much good when you are dead.
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.



Advertisement

Du1point8

16,183 posts

76 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
y2blade said:
Either way Having the "right of way" is not much good when you are dead.
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.
Cows will ignore you... as long as they dont have calves, otherwise they will see the dog as a threat and act as such.

If the fields are not public right of way why should a farmer warn people not to trespass or go into his field for risk of being hurt? Fence is there for a reason, so if someone enters the field by gaining access of a clear warning such as a fence to keep things out and somethings in, then why does there need to be a further warning for people who ignore the most obvious one?

otolith

25,287 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.
I find cows are mostly harmless, even friendly. I don't trust them with calves, though.

Bullocks can be a nuisance - I think they are just very curious, but they're big and clumsy and get too close for comfort. There are a few rivers I fish where you hear a noise behind you, turn round and there's a whole herd of the bloody things watching you!

y2blade

54,388 posts

99 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
otolith said:
daz3210 said:
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.
I find cows are mostly harmless, even friendly. I don't trust them with calves, though.

Bullocks can be a nuisance - I think they are just very curious, but they're big and clumsy and get too close for comfort. There are a few rivers I fish where you hear a noise behind you, turn round and there's a whole herd of the bloody things watching you!
hehe lol they are funny at times

like when they "play" with a dead rabbit by sucking it's innards out and throw the skin around like a Frisbee


otolith

25,287 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all

therealpigdog

2,579 posts

81 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
y2blade said:
It would appear that Common sense went out of the window years ago.
As she was in her 70s, I would have put her in the generation where common sense prevailed over a reliance on H&S.

Why can't farmers put up a sign on every field stating what lives in it, and how dangerous it is, together with a brief description of the animals concerned, their habitat and diet, and any other pertinent facts, just like a zoo - it would be edumacation and H&S all rolled into one! Oh, and lets have more fences too to protect people. And moats - I like moats. It's not as though the farmer's right to access to the field is as great as a rambler's right. And whilst we're at it, they ought to make all the herd wear high vis jackets, flashing lights and emit a beeping noise when they move. wink

Sad tragic accident - nothing more.

jaf01uk

1,731 posts

80 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
y2blade said:
Either way Having the "right of way" is not much good when you are dead.
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.
Have to laugh, what part of "taking personal responsibility" do you struggle with? Throughout this thread you have repeatedly tried to offload blame for these incidents onto the farmers, both these incidents were totally avoidable by exercising common care and thinking! Farmers have never had to place signs to say mummy cows will look after their babies by charging when feeling threatened or that dogs chasing farm animals will/can be shot, where would you stop with warning signs? We're turning into Americans! 75 page instruction manuals for a cigarette lighter, 74 of them telling you what not to do with it in case someone is stupid enough to burn them self in a way the manufacturer hasn't thought of and they get sued!! Sheesh!!

y2blade

54,388 posts

99 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
jaf01uk said:
daz3210 said:
y2blade said:
Either way Having the "right of way" is not much good when you are dead.
I would tend to agree, but what are the rules in law? As I said there are fields by us that regularly contain cows. I would like to think that if there is an increased danger that there was a duty to warn me of such. Regularly I walk through these fields (with a dog), and thus far the beasts present have in the main ignored both me and the dog.
Have to laugh, what part of "taking personal responsibility" do you struggle with? Throughout this thread you have repeatedly tried to offload blame for these incidents onto the farmers, both these incidents were totally avoidable by exercising common care and thinking! Farmers have never had to place signs to say mummy cows will look after their babies by charging when feeling threatened or that dogs chasing farm animals will/can be shot, where would you stop with warning signs? We're turning into Americans! 75 page instruction manuals for a cigarette lighter, 74 of them telling you what not to do with it in case someone is stupid enough to burn them self in a way the manufacturer hasn't thought of and they get sued!! Sheesh!!
I'm not the only one that thinks this way then.

daz3210

5,000 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
jaf01uk said:
Have to laugh, what part of "taking personal responsibility" do you struggle with?
None. If it were only so black and white (just like the cows). But, you obviously haven't walked through the fields that I am talking about judging by your ill informed comment.

One of the fields I regularly walk is downhill from the entrance I use with a brow that hides the far end of the field, has a small wooded bit at the bottom, with a stream in a severe dip. The cows tend to congregate out of sight of the entrance. The field is maybe 1/3 of a mile long. If the cows were to have calves with them, they probably would not be visible from the stile at the entrance. The field has a public footpath straight through the middle. By the time you see the cows you would be over half way into the field. How then sir should I take personal responsibility in this instance, since you seem to have a better understanding than you credit me for?

stuttgartmetal

6,775 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I'd have to do the time if Farmer Giles shot my dog.

Nothing personal.

ofcorsa

3,024 posts

127 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
stuttgartmetal said:
I'd have to do the time if Farmer Giles shot my dog.

Nothing personal.
Well 'ard I would hope he shot you too

julian64

10,381 posts

138 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
My wife keeps chickens in the back garden. She has eighteen of them at the moment.

Last week we had a small jack russell come in and destroy two of them. The chickens were left in bits all over the garden and she is currently nursing a third which has some dirty great holes bitten out of it, and now has fly strike.

The dog was too fast to be caught by her, and managed to scrabble through one fence and jump another to get to the birds.

If I'd been there and had an avaiable gun I'd have shot the dog.

If someone wanted to remonstrate with me I'd have told them they were responsible for the dogs death, not me.

Its simple really, you let your dog onto someone elses property, you are responsible.

I could post video, but I suggest you dog lovers might not enjoy to see what a dog does when it doesn't have an owner around to say how gentle it is.

stuttgartmetal

6,775 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
ofcorsa said:
stuttgartmetal said:
I'd have to do the time if Farmer Giles shot my dog.

Nothing personal.
Well 'ard I would hope he shot you too
Get back to crunching carrots Fella, the adults are talking.

ofcorsa

3,024 posts

127 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
They are?

daz3210

5,000 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
ofcorsa said:
They are?
Well thought out, intelligent and worthwhile input there buddy.

Bet you got top marks at school!

stuttgartmetal

6,775 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
ofcorsa said:
They are?
I love these little adjacent ruckus/skirmishes next to threads.
They're soo much fun.


lollers

Really?
You don't know what to fill a hole in the garden with?

Go-on, off with ya.

You're hardcore, and you don't even know it.


Edited by stuttgartmetal on Friday 12th October 16:26

1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic