Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

RayVonn

Original Poster:

1,350 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2007 quote quote all
Back in 2002 TVR showed a Tuscan R which looked very similar to what we now know as the Typhon. It was Red and the Reg was PN02 ZNG.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this car?

Was it just a one-off that never made production and eventually morphed into the Typhon?

And does anyone know if it is still around?

Thanks

TQ3

57 posts

104 months

[news] 
Friday 10th August 2007 quote quote all
Hi,

I own one of the 2 Typhon's that made into production. I recall seeing the red car (it was featured in EVO magazine when they took it to Le Mans) several times at the factory before it closed, but it was not in use.

It's probably in bits somehwere along with anything else that remained from the racing team days. Where - who knows!

SimonKD

1,215 posts

116 months

[news] 
Saturday 11th August 2007 quote quote all
Hi RayVonn

Nice to see a fellow 4.5LW owner over on this forum. Is this the car in question?



Also nice to see your Cerb on the timeline at Rockingham, I was a few cars down almost opposite the Reflex Charcoal Typhon which I took time to study over the 2 days. Stunning is how I'd describe it.



Regards
Simon




Rusty pipes

31 posts

93 months

[news] 
Monday 13th August 2007 quote quote all
Red pre production prototype R was turned into a copy of the De Walt racecars with complete De Walt colours and decals as the real racecars had to be at testing and it was that car that was lifted onto the deck of the aircraft carrier for publicity shots! oh yeh and its languishing in NS,s no mans land somewhere now with the orange once supercharged/six speed one!

Regards Rusty pipes

Edited by Rusty pipes on Monday 13th August 00:51

V8 GRF

6,692 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 13th August 2007 quote quote all
IMO it's an ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped car.

King's new clothes, no-one has the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers.

All IMO of course

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 13th August 13:45

Advertisement

rpa.janwell

1,645 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 14th August 2007 quote quote all
V8 GRF said:
IMO it's an ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped car.

King's new clothes, no-one has the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers.

All IMO of course

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 13th August 13:45
Nice.

DJC

21,902 posts

121 months

[news] 
Wednesday 15th August 2007 quote quote all
rpa.janwell said:
V8 GRF said:
IMO it's an ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped car.

King's new clothes, no-one has the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers.

All IMO of course

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 13th August 13:45
Nice.
Hmm. My first instinct would be to agree with him, however, if you spend a bit of time with the car it starts to grow on you. It definately has a personality of its own. Yes there are flaws to the car, yes they are underdeveloped, but...

I kind of like them. It has the feel of a big Griffith coupe to me, there is a rawness, an edginess, certainly something that could have been developed. With the right engine in there and at the right price it would have made an excellent car for the purpose it was designed for.

You have to spend sometime with the car to understand it.

BCA

8,605 posts

142 months

[news] 
Wednesday 15th August 2007 quote quote all
Its been far better developed than most TVRs in many ways too lets not forget...

I personally think its one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Im buying Janes Typhon in future, probably not off her - but off the next owner perhaps? smile

Stunning. thumbup

I've got a fair few pictures on my phone which I really should upload on here sometime soon, with Richard/Janes approval of course - is that ok Rpa?

rpa.janwell

1,645 posts

122 months

[news] 
Wednesday 15th August 2007 quote quote all
BCA said:
Its been far better developed than most TVRs in many ways too lets not forget...

I personally think its one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Im buying Janes Typhon in future, probably not off her - but off the next owner perhaps? smile

Stunning. thumbup

I've got a fair few pictures on my phone which I really should upload on here sometime soon, with Richard/Janes approval of course - is that ok Rpa?
Absolutely - looking forward to them, thank you.

Toma500

760 posts

138 months

[news] 
Wednesday 15th August 2007 quote quote all
BCA said:
Its been far better developed than most TVRs in many ways too lets not forget...

I personally think its one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Im buying Janes Typhon in future, probably not off her - but off the next owner perhaps? smile

Stunning. thumbup

I've got a fair few pictures on my phone which I really should upload on here sometime soon, with Richard/Janes approval of course - is that ok Rpa?
Ive got some pics on my phone too off when it was in HHC an absolutely stunning car i thought lovely shape colour and a fantastic interior as well , I think the wheels are a great design too and really suit the car as well .

RayVonn

Original Poster:

1,350 posts

101 months

[news] 
Saturday 18th August 2007 quote quote all
SimonKD said:
Hi RayVonn

Nice to see a fellow 4.5LW owner over on this forum. Is this the car in question?



Also nice to see your Cerb on the timeline at Rockingham, I was a few cars down almost opposite the Reflex Charcoal Typhon which I took time to study over the 2 days. Stunning is how I'd describe it.



Regards
Simon
Hi Simon,

Yes that is the car!! BTW saw you at Rockingham in the Black Cerb - looked really nice!

Daftlad

3,324 posts

126 months

[news] 
Monday 20th August 2007 quote quote all
V8 GRF said:
IMO it's an ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped car.

King's new clothes, no-one has the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers.

All IMO of course

Edited by V8 GRF on Monday 13th August 13:45
A glaring omisson in the list of TVRs I've owned, is a "phase II" Griffith - the first of these cars were ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped cars.

Some time in production and they managed to sort one of those three vices but it took untill 1996 to do it.

The Typhon and T400 are truely great TVRs. I've been able to drive one for a short period in a reasonably spirited manner (thanks Jane) and I can certainly say it was a lot better sorted and developed than the first 90s Griffth I drove. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and its only my opinion, but I belive there are many aspects of these cars that cry out form over function - IMO it certainly works as a visual package.

Lots of peolpe have the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers (especially on iternet forums where key board warriors are never in short supply), but they probably don't wish to appear foolish or sound like their comments are touched with jealously. Being open is something that is often welcomed by owners, sometimes it appears downright rude. Your comments on this point fall into the later category and adding IMHO does nothing to soften that.

L5DYJ

17 posts

106 months

[news] 
Monday 20th August 2007 quote quote all
Thank you John

Daftlad

3,324 posts

126 months

[news] 
Tuesday 21st August 2007 quote quote all
L5DYJ said:
Thank you John
Need to keep things in perspective smile

dkennedyvxt

240 posts

119 months

[news] 
Wednesday 29th August 2007 quote quote all
RayVonn said:
Back in 2002 TVR showed a Tuscan R which looked very similar to what we now know as the Typhon. It was Red and the Reg was PN02 ZNG.

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this car?

Was it just a one-off that never made production and eventually morphed into the Typhon?

And does anyone know if it is still around?

Thanks
I believe this was a development car and was the one taken to le Mans by one of the mags. I got to drive it in Edinburgh a few years back as one of the TVR guys was up fishing in Scotland but it was stripped out development mode at the time...wires everywhere and very little trim. Sounded amazing. I've got some pics somewhere

YKB

824 posts

96 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all


Anyone know what this T440R is please? At TMS open day a few years back. Thanks.

BCA

8,605 posts

142 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2007 quote quote all
Hiya - sorry, been massively busy lately having started a new job - does anyone know where I can get images hosted/ Richard or Jane, do you want me to email you a few images??

I've got them on the computer, just dont have a clue how to get them on here im afraid! - truly stunning car!!! cloud9

V8 GRF

6,692 posts

95 months

[news] 
Friday 7th September 2007 quote quote all
Daftlad said:
V8 GRF said:
IMO it's an ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped car.

King's new clothes, no-one has the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers.

All IMO of course
A glaring omisson in the list of TVRs I've owned, is a "phase II" Griffith - the first of these cars were ugly, disproportioned, undeveloped cars.

Some time in production and they managed to sort one of those three vices but it took untill 1996 to do it.

The Typhon and T400 are truely great TVRs. I've been able to drive one for a short period in a reasonably spirited manner (thanks Jane) and I can certainly say it was a lot better sorted and developed than the first 90s Griffth I drove. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and its only my opinion, but I belive there are many aspects of these cars that cry out form over function - IMO it certainly works as a visual package.
Of course it's a better sorted car than an early '90s Griff, what a ridiculous thing to say, I'd be seriously worried if TVR hadn't moved on in the nearly 10 years that separate them! A car that wins a design award cannot be described as ugly so don't know where that remark comes from. Obviously I haven't had the opportinity to drive the car so my point was exclusively that I don't think it works well visually.

Daftlad said:
Lots of peolpe have the guts to say it's a mess that wouldn't have sold in any numbers (especially on iternet forums where key board warriors are never in short supply), but they probably don't wish to appear foolish or sound like their comments are touched with jealously. Being open is something that is often welcomed by owners, sometimes it appears downright rude. Your comments on this point fall into the later category and adding IMHO does nothing to soften that.
I'm not being any ruder than you are in many of your posts.

I'm certainly not jealous and cannot comment on the driving experience and indeed did not. I can comment on what I see and have observed to other people while looking at the car that I don't like it. I'm not a 'keyboard warrior' as you put it (although the term seems to be applicable to you in many of the responses you post at times) and will quite happily express my comments and opinions face to face as people who have met/know me will confirm and indeed as you have should know as we have talked.

As an aside I'd be interested in why the current owner wishes to sell if it's such a superb visual and unique driving experience?


Edited by V8 GRF on Friday 7th September 16:43

rpa.janwell

1,645 posts

122 months

[news] 
Friday 7th September 2007 quote quote all
Because we own the T440R and are expecting it's return shortly. Same body shape, different engine. And are also happy with the Sagaris and the Cerbera.

V8 GRF

6,692 posts

95 months

[news] 
Friday 7th September 2007 quote quote all
rpa.janwell said:
Because we own the T440R and are expecting it's return shortly. Same body shape, different engine. And are also happy with the Sagaris and the Cerbera.
I thought you where going for a collection biggrin

Also I'll apologise for the churlish tone to my question, I was a bit pi55ed of by the reply to what is essentially my opinion about the cars visual appearance. I was genuinely wondering why you were selling as you had aquired both, which as you say are visually similar.

Edited by V8 GRF on Friday 7th September 17:38

2
Reply to Topic