Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 131 132
134 135 ... 174 175
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

K12beano

15,468 posts

163 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
Haven't macro'd for a while....(well one look at this thread and you wonder why it's worth bothering against such strong competition)... but a couple of snapettes from today...


Bugs Eye View-2 by Beano!, on Flickr


Bugs Eye View-1 by Beano!, on Flickr

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Friday 21st September 2012 quote quote all

2slo

1,966 posts

55 months

[news] 
Saturday 22nd September 2012 quote quote all
/\ Good shot. I sometimes aim for the same dark BG effect with birds. It works well with insects especially with the reflection as here.

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 22nd September 2012 quote quote all
2slo said:
/\ Good shot. I sometimes aim for the same dark BG effect with birds. It works well with insects especially with the reflection as here.
Thanks smile

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Sunday 23rd September 2012 quote quote all
Advertisement

LongQ

10,281 posts

121 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Hmm. Mr. Dobbler seems to have glued the bar to the supporting stands - so I'll lower the standard a little with some faux semi-macro.

The back of my house faces south and west mainly so the bricks get quite warm if there is any sun of an afternoon and at this time of year, as things cool late afternoon, it proves quite attractive for some of the larger flying critters. Quite a few flies and bees as normal of course but now also a number of Red Admiral butterflies and quite a few Dragonflies too on a good day.

The trouble is they are wary of anything that moves and so tend to settle, if they settle, some way up the wall. Not ideal for macro shots really. So I thought I would see what I could get with the 70-200 on a 600D body and some drastic cropping. The result was some very interesting DoF challenges, some as yet unexplained apparent back focus concerns and a few other enlightening observations.

The minimum focus distance of the lens is 1.2 meters - so all of these are at least that far distant and in the case of the Dragonflies more like 6 to 8 or 10 feet in many cases. What you see as backgorund will be standard bricks and mortar mostly - the odd UPVC window or door to.

So, with that in mind ....


Bee.


Fly.


Dragonfly.


Almost camouflaged.


Bee cleaning its legs.


Dragonfly from a different angle.


Nearly got all the wings sharp!


Red Admiral butterfly.


Dragonfly again, standing away from wall.


Fly.


Another dragonfly.


Red Admiral butterfly displaying proboscis.


As above. It sat there for quite a while displaying what it could do with its proboscis.

ETA:

A more macro like crop from the previous shot. Thats at 100%. Looks OK before conversion to jpg but has lost some detail along the way to appearing here. Thinking about it it has probably been upscaled a bit to not really 100% but a bit more. I'll see if I can fix that.


Dragonfly with invisible wings.


Red Admiral sitting 1 brick below an upstairs window frame - gives some idea of the degree of crop involved.


You can just about see all the wings in this one.


An attempt at PP to give some colour separation. Hmm. The wings are quite clear though.

A couple of observations.

The light faded a bit and I decided that I needed to up the ISO rather than attempt to hand hold pointing upwards and hope that the IS would deal with any wobbling. (I suspect IS slightly reduces clarity and was expecting to crop very deeply so it was a concern). As it turned out at this level of crop the difference in resolution between ISO 100 and ISO 400 can be seen although noise is not really a factor.

Following on from that - to try and claw back some of the resolution where it seemed necessary I removed all NR (a gentle default value set in Capture One)and set some rather radically low values for Radius and Threshold when sharpening. That seemed to help.

Apologies for being picture AND text heavy but hopefully the rather variable results will be of interest and maybe generate a few ideas. Comments welcome of course - and yes one or two of the above are a tad dark but mostly there was a reason at the time.

Edited by LongQ on Monday 24th September 02:23


Edited by LongQ on Monday 24th September 02:25

Japveesix

2,405 posts

56 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
LongQ said:
The trouble is they are wary of anything that moves and so tend to settle, if they settle, some way up the wall. Not ideal for macro shots really. So I thought I would see what I could get with the 70-200 on a 600D body and some drastic cropping. The result was some very interesting DoF challenges, some as yet unexplained apparent back focus concerns and a few other enlightening observations.

The minimum focus distance of the lens is 1.2 meters - so all of these are at least that far distant and in the case of the Dragonflies more like 6 to 8 or 10 feet in many cases. What you see as backgorund will be standard bricks and mortar mostly - the odd UPVC window or door to.

So, with that in mind ....
Hmmm, similar(ish) to my "macro" set-up. Due to lack of funds all of my macro/bug shots have to be taken with a 400D + EFS 55-250 lens. So the same issues of being a good metre (more usually) away to focus, plus weird DoF issues and so on.

Tends to require really good bright sunlight, a very still subject and a bit of fiddling each time to get a nice shot.

It definitely provides a challenge!

Some of my better efforts to date:

Female keeled skimmer at Ash moor by South West Wildlife, on Flickr


Female broad-bodied chaser by South West Wildlife, on Flickr


Scarlet tiger moth by South West Wildlife, on Flickr

And just uploaded this as it gives an idea of the detail I'm getting, this is probably about as good as I ever manage smile


Golden ringed Dragon by South West Wildlife, on Flickr

Never going to compete on this thread with this set-up but with favourable conditions and patience I've got a few shots I like smile

LongQ

10,281 posts

121 months

[news] 
Monday 24th September 2012 quote quote all
Japveesix said:
Hmmm, similar(ish) to my "macro" set-up. Due to lack of funds all of my macro/bug shots have to be taken with a 400D + EFS 55-250 lens. So the same issues of being a good metre (more usually) away to focus, plus weird DoF issues and so on.

Tends to require really good bright sunlight, a very still subject and a bit of fiddling each time to get a nice shot.

It definitely provides a challenge!

Some of my better efforts to date:

Female keeled skimmer at Ash moor by South West Wildlife, on Flickr


Female broad-bodied chaser by South West Wildlife, on Flickr


Scarlet tiger moth by South West Wildlife, on Flickr

And just uploaded this as it gives an idea of the detail I'm getting, this is probably about as good as I ever manage smile


Golden ringed Dragon by South West Wildlife, on Flickr

Never going to compete on this thread with this set-up but with favourable conditions and patience I've got a few shots I like smile
Good work and I totally agree with the comments.

It didn't help that visitors tended to be much the same colour as the brickwork especially n the warm light of a late afternoon sun. I rather suspect that the camera view of the focus area contained more backgrond than subject on many of them, hence the difficulty obtaining a good focus. It's an interesting challenge.

If the opportunity arises (won't be today, it's dull and grey with persistent rain so far) I may eperiment with my 400D to see how much difference the 10Mpix sensor makes compared to the 18Mpx on the 600D. Maybe not much for most of the Dragonfly shots with the full wing span but I suspect quite a bit of difference for the smaller beasties and the finer details. The 'fur' in the back of the bee and the Red Admirals is right on the boundary of resolving power.

The wall as a backdrop is far from ideal but at least it attracts the critters and they tend to stay quite still while enjoying the warmth. The texture also provides a clear indication of the plane of focus which, due to shooting at some unusual angles, is not always exactly where one assumes it might be.

ddarno

130 posts

80 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
Anyone bored of dragon flies yet? smile

Common Darter Dragon Fly by ddarno, on Flickr


Common Darter Dragon Fly by ddarno, on Flickr


Common Darter Dragon Fly by ddarno, on Flickr

And a couple of crops

Common Darter Dragon Fly Head by ddarno, on Flickr

100% Crop on this one

Common Darter Dragon Fly Eye by ddarno, on Flickr

Golgarth

180 posts

86 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
some of my favourites:



and possibly my favourite ever:



Desperately need to save for a new flash and macro lens, should have never sold them.

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Monday 1st October 2012 quote quote all

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all

kit80

4,749 posts

75 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Jesus christ dibbly how amazing are they!

JSS 911

1,563 posts

99 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
kit80 said:
Jesus christ dibbly how amazing are they!
+1

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
JSS 911 said:
kit80 said:
Jesus christ dibbly how amazing are they!
+1
Thanks Chaps smile

kit80

4,749 posts

75 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
DibblyDobbler said:
JSS 911 said:
kit80 said:
Jesus christ dibbly how amazing are they!
+1
Thanks Chaps smile
Guuuuurrll!! Formerly Stiglet80 biggrin

This is my recent rubbish attempt. I will post it now cos anything will look crap after them shots anyway hehe


dragonfly16x12 by sj-stephenson, on Flickr

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
5hero said:
Nice shots Mike smile I'm guessing you didn't sell the 65mm then?
Hehe - even I'm not that big an arse biggrin

Not much from you lately - all well ?

DibblyDobbler

7,796 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
kit80 said:
Guuuuurrll!! Formerly Stiglet80 biggrin

This is my recent rubbish attempt. I will post it now cos anything will look crap after them shots anyway hehe


dragonfly16x12 by sj-stephenson, on Flickr
Oops! My apologies SJ paperbag

Nice Darter though biggrin

kit80

4,749 posts

75 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
DibblyDobbler said:
Oops! My apologies SJ paperbag

Nice Darter though biggrin
hehe no worries and thanks biggrin

tenex

1,010 posts

56 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Wow Mike !

Enhanced (well) with your new toy?
1 2 ... 131 132
134 135 ... 174 175
Reply to Topic