Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th October 2011 quote quote all
I'm about to move to Canada to work and was wondering if at all conceivable to ship my Chimaera over with me. I'll be on a work permit rather than a Permanent Resident.
Any one had any experiences/problems?
cheers
Ross

sawman

3,167 posts

113 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th October 2011 quote quote all
Is it 15 years old or older, in which case its pretty doable. there is a fair bit of paperwork, and it will need to be extremely clean.

There is a chap on here who has a few TVRs in ontario, maybe he will be along soon with some tips.

Where are you heading to btw?

You might find some info on the website of canadian customs and excise. I have looked at this issue before, I cant remember off the top of my head what I found out or where I found it

Edited by sawman on Thursday 27th October 19:23

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 28th October 2011 quote quote all
Cheers
Only 13 years old. We're all coming over to Toronto in a month or so

sawman

3,167 posts

113 months

[news] 
Friday 28th October 2011 quote quote all
RossMac said:
Cheers
Only 13 years old. We're all coming over to Toronto in a month or so
My instinct tells me that your plan may not work. The Canadians are pretty picky about importing cars to the country. Its more straightforward for cars older than 15 years. I guess the other thing to consider is how much you are going to be able to use it. I lived in manitoba for a couple of years, which has a much drier (colder) winter than toronto and in that locality you would not be using a chim between halloween and easter. You may have more opportunity in GTA.

Depends how long you are intending being in canada, I would be inclined to either store or sell the TVR and pick up a local V8 for fun whilst there.

Found a link that might cover this for you: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf504...

enjoy your experience

UKAuto

392 posts

160 months

[news] 
Friday 4th November 2011 quote quote all
RossMac said:
Cheers
Only 13 years old. We're all coming over to Toronto in a month or so
Must be 15 years old or older to the month of manufacture (not model year). They need supporting evidence of age. Your car unfortunately can not come in.

Are you coming temporarily, or is this a permanent move?
Advertisement

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th November 2011 quote quote all
UKAuto said:
Must be 15 years old or older to the month of manufacture (not model year). They need supporting evidence of age. Your car unfortunately can not come in.

Are you coming temporarily, or is this a permanent move?
I am getting mixed messages (not just PH). I am coming over on a 3 year work permit - viewed as a temp citizen. I have read that the age rules do ot apply to undesirable aliens like me :-)

I'd hate to ship it over and for it to get stck at Ontario customs and have to ship it back again

plushuit

171 posts

36 months

[news] 
Monday 21st November 2011 quote quote all
RossMac said:
I am coming over on a 3 year work permit - viewed as a temp citizen. I have read that the age rules do not apply to undesirable aliens like me :-)
I'd hate to ship it over and for it to get stck at Ontario customs and have to ship it back again
I have seen that happen! The general rule for Canada is that vehicles cannot be imported (aside from a list of US cars) until 15 years after its manufacture. Then it may still has some provincial hurdles to jump and these will vary from province to province.

However, you should be exempt http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-im... See below. You can bring in the car as a "visitor" along with you. However, you cannot sell it. As the car will be in a province for more than 3 months, you will probably be required to registered there.

Your biggest issue may be insurance. Contact the two governments and insurers before you get here.

L.

VISITORS AND TOURISTS TO CANADA

Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. Persons entering under a work permit or student visa will be considered as visitors for the application of this section of the Act. Any change in the status of the person entering the vehicle may invalidate the use of this section of the Act. The vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of while in Canada and cannot remain in Canada for a period longer than the time constraints listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Customs documents. Once these time limits are exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry under section 7(1)(b) of the Act and must be exported. As the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency also has requirements concerning the importation of vehicles, you may contact them at the address listed below.

Edited by plushuit on Wednesday 21st December 23:35

so called

4,392 posts

92 months

[news] 
Saturday 10th December 2011 quote quote all
How about selling your Chimaera and buying one a couple of years older thumbup

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Saturday 10th December 2011 quote quote all
so called said:
How about selling your Chimaera and buying one a couple of years older thumbup
Thought about that but just had £5k on a new chassis & outriggers plus repairs after returning from Swissyland. Reluctant to let go

24Razor

37 posts

138 months

[news] 
Tuesday 3rd January 2012 quote quote all
I moved to Canada (Oakville - Toronto) 6 months ago on a work permit & had a TVR back in the UK. I similarly had the ouriggers done just before the move, but I opted to sell it.

I went to the British Classic Car Day at Bronte Park, Oakville back in Sept & yeah, there's a few TVR's about. I saw a couple of Griffiths, incl a 500 but I also saw a Chimaera. Not sure of the ages though.

In all honesty, I'm glad I sold. The roads; being all pretty much straight & in a grid pattern particularly round here are not that inspiring for "driving", plus it saved all the hassle of shipping - even thoug the company would have paid, I'd of just been left with the paperwork headaches.

Both the motors I have here are Auto's as that's what these roads lend themselves to.

GavinPearson

5,431 posts

134 months

[news] 
Wednesday 4th January 2012 quote quote all
It did occur to me that the US / Canadian system for measuring vehicle age, and that of the UK are very different.

The US & Canada age a vehicle based on the official date it was built in the manufacturer's factory.

People in the UK age a car from when it was first registered.

A car registered on 1st August 1992 could have been built on 23rd June 1991.

The best thing to do in the case of this Chimaera is to find the date of true manufacture if records still exist - it could tip the balance and make importation far, far easier.

yonexsp

12 posts

30 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd January 2012 quote quote all
24Razor said:
I moved to Canada (Oakville - Toronto) 6 months ago on a work permit & had a TVR back in the UK. I similarly had the ouriggers done just before the move, but I opted to sell it.

I went to the British Classic Car Day at Bronte Park, Oakville back in Sept & yeah, there's a few TVR's about. I saw a couple of Griffiths, incl a 500 but I also saw a Chimaera. Not sure of the ages though.

In all honesty, I'm glad I sold. The roads; being all pretty much straight & in a grid pattern particularly round here are not that inspiring for "driving", plus it saved all the hassle of shipping - even thoug the company would have paid, I'd of just been left with the paperwork headaches.

Both the motors I have here are Auto's as that's what these roads lend themselves to.
I was there with my car, did you see it? The Blue Rover SD1 smile

British Car day at Bronte is largest British car show in North America. Great place to find a car to buy as well.

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2012 quote quote all
yonexsp said:
24Razor said:
I moved to Canada (Oakville - Toronto) 6 months ago on a work permit & had a TVR back in the UK. I similarly had the ouriggers done just before the move, but I opted to sell it.

I went to the British Classic Car Day at Bronte Park, Oakville back in Sept & yeah, there's a few TVR's about. I saw a couple of Griffiths, incl a 500 but I also saw a Chimaera. Not sure of the ages though.

In all honesty, I'm glad I sold. The roads; being all pretty much straight & in a grid pattern particularly round here are not that inspiring for "driving", plus it saved all the hassle of shipping - even thoug the company would have paid, I'd of just been left with the paperwork headaches.

Both the motors I have here are Auto's as that's what these roads lend themselves to.
I was there with my car, did you see it? The Blue Rover SD1 smile

British Car day at Bronte is largest British car show in North America. Great place to find a car to buy as well.
I live in Bronte (Bronte and Dundas). I'll have a look out for the Brit show

Update on TVR - imported no problem what-so-ever. Just needed to drive down to Pearson to clear customs. Took about 15 minutes. As I am over on a work permit it doesn't need testing to Canadian standards (although just passed UK MOT, new brakes, tyres, suspension, outriggers, chassis repair!). Insurance will be $700

GTRCLIVE

3,564 posts

166 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2012 quote quote all
$700 what kind of coverage does that include ? sound very cheap....
Glad to here you go it in.. had a bit of a nervous time bringing in my Kit Car chassis and body with all our other stuff when we Immigrated......

So question if you wait till it is 15 years old can you then drive to the USA and back then say your bringing it in permanently ??

GTRCLIVE

3,564 posts

166 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2012 quote quote all
PS thinking of bringing in a Cerbera now they've just turned 15 years old now... very tempting to find one with a bust engine then do the LS2 conversion....

GTRCLIVE

3,564 posts

166 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2012 quote quote all
PS how did you bring it in BTW container or Roll on Roll off ? and how much did it cost ??

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Friday 27th January 2012 quote quote all
GTRCLIVE said:
$700 what kind of coverage does that include ? sound very cheap....
Glad to here you go it in.. had a bit of a nervous time bringing in my Kit Car chassis and body with all our other stuff when we Immigrated......

So question if you wait till it is 15 years old can you then drive to the USA and back then say your bringing it in permanently ??
Insurance is for <4000km a year and stored in a garage. I needed to show that I have two other cars (me and missus) and that the TVR not being used for everyday use

Customs guy indicated that I can sell after 15 years (if I want) or it then falls into the classic category and can stay

GTRCLIVE said:
PS how did you bring it in BTW container or Roll on Roll off ? and how much did it cost ??
It came by container. Company paid. I'll ask them if they have a price paid as the same company had a 40' container for household stuff

yonexsp

12 posts

30 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th March 2012 quote quote all
RossMac said:
It came by container. Company paid. I'll ask them if they have a price paid as the same company had a 40' container for household stuff
What insurance company did you use? I have a car coming from the UK in May I want to insure. Did you do a stated value policy?

RossMac

Original Poster:

821 posts

124 months

[news] 
Saturday 17th March 2012 quote quote all
yonexsp said:
What insurance company did you use? I have a car coming from the UK in May I want to insure. Did you do a stated value policy?
I used Wilsons Insurance Brokers, Telephone: 0161874 7979. Underwritten by Catlin.
Reply to Topic