Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 3
5 6 7
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

clarenceboddiger

1,398 posts

103 months

[news] 
Saturday 17th October 2009 quote quote all
Ever heard the term "Duty Of Care", I would suggest that it applies here?
For any manufacturer to know it has a fault such as this and not make every effort via it's dealer network and the motoring press etc to notify people of this problem is simply unacceptable IMHO.

ngr

329 posts

127 months

[news] 
Sunday 18th October 2009 quote quote all
I have discussed this fault with the manufacture previously. I have seen 2 sets of there dampers on different cars one set on a TVR and one set on an Elise. The one set was changed buy the manufacture for a rose jointed set and the other the customer upgraded to a set of Nitrons. It is very easy to check your dampers for the problem and having now seen this problem with two manufactures using similar bushes I would recommend either checking them your self or having them checked for you. If anyone want to ring me to discuss the other manufacture thats fine pleas feel fee to contact me on 01666 577449

Regards

Neil Garner

GG33

781 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 19th October 2009 quote quote all
I happened to visit the GAZ factory last Friday for a diifferent issue (squeeky GAZ Gold Pro's) A modified set were fitted free of charge 'no quibble' Whilst I was having a tour of the factory the subject of this post was raised and the cause of the problem was shown to me together with the solution. I was also told that anyone who has any doubts about the integrity of their GAZ shock should have them checked by their supplier and if found to be faulty they will be changed without quibble.
My thoughts are that they are a thoroughly great company to deal with who are more than willing to stand by their product clap

daveparry

972 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
Has this problem all been sorted now as I will soon be looking to replace my shocks, as an aside I have called Bilstein and they told me they don't do shocks for TVR???

.Mark

11,104 posts

164 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
daveparry said:
Has this problem all been sorted now as I will soon be looking to replace my shocks, as an aside I have called Bilstein and they told me they don't do shocks for TVR???
Yep all sorted. I got Gaz Gold Pro's fitted to mine a few weeks back and the transformation is amazing - great value!
Advertisement

Bassfiend

4,682 posts

138 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
I'm cheap - I have a set of secondhand AVO's ready to go on mine...

Phil

.Mark

11,104 posts

164 months

[news] 
Wednesday 6th January 2010 quote quote all
Bassfiend said:
I'm cheap

Phil
We all know that pal.

P500KO

36 posts

60 months

[news] 
Monday 1st February 2010 quote quote all
Ab Shocks said:
Hi

Gaz also decided that switching to billet high tensile HE15 material and spherical bearings would ensure that no further problems of this type would occur and brought out the Gaz Gold Pro to this specification.

If anybody wants to discuss this or any other issues, you can ring the Gaz Shocks helpline which is open 7 days on 07795 293018
In my experience HE15 high tensile aluminium is not readily anodised, it is also subject to oxidisation.
I would have thought that HE30 would have been more suited as it a more structural grade ally that can also be anodised very well, it can also be Hard Anodised giving a glass hard protective finish.
You also mention billet form, does that mean the failed parts were cast?
Apologies if you are already aware....


Lone Granger

801 posts

131 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th February 2010 quote quote all
P500KO said:
Ab Shocks said:
Hi

Gaz also decided that switching to billet high tensile HE15 material and spherical bearings would ensure that no further problems of this type would occur and brought out the Gaz Gold Pro to this specification.

If anybody wants to discuss this or any other issues, you can ring the Gaz Shocks helpline which is open 7 days on 07795 293018
In my experience HE15 high tensile aluminium is not readily anodised, it is also subject to oxidisation.
I would have thought that HE30 would have been more suited as it a more structural grade ally that can also be anodised very well, it can also be Hard Anodised giving a glass hard protective finish.
You also mention billet form, does that mean the failed parts were cast?
Apologies if you are already aware....
Perhaps Gaz can comment on this, as i too am now putting off buying these - clearly the level of corrosion protection and grade / structure of these units is a major concern

Not many comments about obvious alternative Protech - they look nicer - do they work as well / have any issues?

s6boy

1,013 posts

113 months

[news] 
Friday 5th February 2010 quote quote all
Lone Granger said:
P500KO said:
Ab Shocks said:
Hi

Gaz also decided that switching to billet high tensile HE15 material and spherical bearings would ensure that no further problems of this type would occur and brought out the Gaz Gold Pro to this specification.

If anybody wants to discuss this or any other issues, you can ring the Gaz Shocks helpline which is open 7 days on 07795 293018
In my experience HE15 high tensile aluminium is not readily anodised, it is also subject to oxidisation.
I would have thought that HE30 would have been more suited as it a more structural grade ally that can also be anodised very well, it can also be Hard Anodised giving a glass hard protective finish.
You also mention billet form, does that mean the failed parts were cast?
Apologies if you are already aware....
Perhaps Gaz can comment on this, as i too am now putting off buying these - clearly the level of corrosion protection and grade / structure of these units is a major concern

Not many comments about obvious alternative Protech - they look nicer - do they work as well / have any issues?
That's worrying, I was impressed with Gaz when they agreed to swap the shocks gratis and the spec sounded impressive originally. Now it seems we'll need to keep an eye open for corrosion again!
speaking to the organ grinder might be quicker and get a better response than the installer.

Edited by s6boy on Friday 5th February 07:35

Ab Shocks

1,685 posts

108 months

[news] 
Friday 5th February 2010 quote quote all
Hi
I'm sorry to say that recent posts appear to be slightly misleading and are suggesting potential problems that do not exist.
1) HE15 and HE30 are both used on Gaz shocks and yes they do have different anodising processes but we actually understand this and deal accordingly,HE15 is used on loops and barrels because it is renowned as being as strong as steel.
2)Hard anodising versus normal anodising is very much highlighted by monotube manufacturers (including Gaz)but in reality coilover shocks all suffer from high impact damage from stones and flints which will damage any anodising, which is why I gave always recomended a protective coat of a product such as clear waxoil every year for shocks,springs and wishbones.
The real reason for hard anodising is wear, monotube shocks run a piston directly up and down an aluminium barrel, so you have to hard anodise the barrel and piston. ( unless they are cheap and nasty monotubes from Taiwan)nuff said.
Twintubes use a steel pressure tube so wear is not an issue and if it was they are cheap and easy to replace whilst servicing anyway.

If I missed any points or areas of concern, you can always ring me on the help line on 07795 293018 or mail me on enquiries@gazshocks.com

Edited by Ab Shocks on Friday 5th February 17:09

Ab Shocks

1,685 posts

108 months

[news] 
Friday 5th February 2010 quote quote all
s6boy said:

speaking to the organ grinder might be quicker and get a better response than the installer.

Edited by s6boy on Friday 5th February 07:35
Just to clarify: I am the organ grinder as far as TVR shocks go and now work for Gaz full time.

Ab Shocks

1,685 posts

108 months

[news] 
Friday 5th February 2010 quote quote all
Lone Granger said:
Perhaps Gaz can comment on this, as i too am now putting off buying these - clearly the level of corrosion protection and grade / structure of these units is a major concern

Not many comments about obvious alternative Protech - they look nicer - do they work as well / have any issues?
Protech used to be machine finish only with no anodising at all, if you are concerned about longevity I would enquire if that was still the case.

P500KO

36 posts

60 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th February 2010 quote quote all
Ab Shocks said:
Hi
1) HE15 and HE30 are both used on Gaz shocks and yes they do have different anodising processes but we actually understand this and deal accordingly,HE15 is used on loops and barrels because it is renowned as being as strong as steel.

The real reason for hard anodising is wear, monotube shocks run a piston directly up and down an aluminium barrel, so you have to hard anodise the barrel and piston. ( unless they are cheap and nasty monotubes from Taiwan)nuff said.
Twintubes use a steel pressure tube so wear is not an issue and if it was they are cheap and easy to replace whilst servicing anyway.

Edited by Ab Shocks on Friday 5th February 17:09
As you understand HE15 does not easily anodise, what process do you use on the barrel and the piston?

ryan-isla

49 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th February 2010 quote quote all
Yes HE15 can be anodised. It is known as fast dye material and just needs a shorter time in the dye.

s6boy

1,013 posts

113 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th February 2010 quote quote all
Ab Shocks said:
s6boy said:

speaking to the organ grinder might be quicker and get a better response than the installer.

Edited by s6boy on Friday 5th February 07:35
Just to clarify: I am the organ grinder as far as TVR shocks go and now work for Gaz full time.
Yes I know, but I was referring to the metallurgist who would have specified the materials used.

Ab Shocks

1,685 posts

108 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th February 2010 quote quote all
Just to put this to bed.
HE15 is one of the stronger aluminum alloys and is used to replace steel where lightness is required on applications as far up the scale as bridges and cranes, so is used extensively externally.
On Gaz gold pro we clear anodise barrels and colour anodise the bearing loops.
On the monotubes we hard anodise barrels and pistons and colour anodise bearing loops.

In sumary, Gaz could have gone for one of the more commonly used easier machining alloys such as 6032 but decided on overkill to ensure no further problems in future.



Edited by Ab Shocks on Tuesday 9th February 11:20

P500KO

36 posts

60 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th February 2010 quote quote all
Ab Shocks said:
Just to put this to bed.
HE15 is one of the stronger aluminum alloys.

In sumary, Gaz could have gone for one of the more commonly used easier machining alloys such as 6032 but decided on overkill to ensure no further problems in future.

Edited by Ab Shocks on Tuesday 9th February 11:20
With respect HE15 is a high tensile aluminium alloy but it does depend on its application ie sheer or compression, HE30 or 6082 T6 can be better in some applications.

Also with respect again I would rather machine HE15 against HE30, this is because HE15 being more high tensile and brittle will chip easier and is no less abrasive on cutters.
Also 6032 is this not extruded (for window frames) or cast ally LM Group? if so this can also be more difficult to machine as it is more sticky IMHO.
I have no personal reasons for my posts on this subject other than being in engineering....for my sins
scratchchin

chelseawiggie11

132 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th March 2010 quote quote all
got the chim in tvrfix at the mo and they just found my shocks need doing....luckily under warranty.....how come this wasnt publicised in national newspaper as its potentually life threatening.......

Lone Granger

801 posts

131 months

[news] 
Thursday 18th March 2010 quote quote all
chelseawiggie11 said:
got the chim in tvrfix at the mo and they just found my shocks need doing....luckily under warranty.....how come this wasnt publicised in national newspaper as its potentually life threatening.......
who on Eath tested and approved the specification??
1 2 3
5 6 7
Reply to Topic