PistonHeads.com Forum

“Merlin F85” heads for the Rover V8 from Real Steel

“Merlin F85” heads for the Rover V8 from Real Steel

Author
Discussion

Else

Original Poster:

721 posts

135 months

Wednesday 12th September 2007
quotequote all
Anybody tried them? how much better are they than stock modified ones? BHP or Flow figures?

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Andy

Else

Original Poster:

721 posts

135 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
I guess nobody here has tried them then. frown

Boosted LS1

14,047 posts

157 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
Have you asked over on the v8 forums? I think there have been delays with these heads so there won't be many people with experience of them.

v8 racing

2,062 posts

148 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
Else said:
Anybody tried them? how much better are they than stock modified ones? BHP or Flow figures?

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Andy
Andy give me a shout on monday if you are looking for some stonking rover heads, i have a set that you may like?
Rob

Boosted LS1

14,047 posts

157 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
v8 racing said:
Else said:
Anybody tried them? how much better are they than stock modified ones? BHP or Flow figures?

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Andy
Andy give me a shout on monday if you are looking for some stonking rover heads, i have a set that you may like?
Rob
Oooh sounds intriguing, can I have em smile

v8 racing

2,062 posts

148 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
Mike why on earth would you want rover heads anymore?? no seriously these are the ones we did with david vizard, i really really dont want to sell them as there is nothing else that comes close to them but other projects and other halfs needs amust!

K4000JB

203 posts

106 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
v8 racing said:
Else said:
Anybody tried them? how much better are they than stock modified ones? BHP or Flow figures?

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Andy
Andy give me a shout on monday if you are looking for some stonking rover heads, i have a set that you may like?
Rob
can i be second in line if they will suit my application pretty pleasebow

Boosted LS1

14,047 posts

157 months

Thursday 13th September 2007
quotequote all
v8 racing said:
Mike why on earth would you want rover heads anymore?? no seriously these are the ones we did with david vizard, i really really dont want to sell them as there is nothing else that comes close to them but other projects and other halfs needs amust!
I don't need them Rob but I guessed they would be your 'good uns'. I'd like to have them just to say I'd got them but as I haven't a rv8 that would be a luxury. Are you able to post any pics?

ihatesissycars

951 posts

99 months

Friday 14th September 2007
quotequote all
I had some, the first pair available in fact! They looked great sat on the shelf but I then went and got myself a porsche and lost interest in v8 bits so sold them on!

They're advertsied as a "street" head. They won't transfom standard motors into fire breathing mental psycho beast but will help power along. They supposed to help give a broad spread of power accross the rev range rather focusing on to or bottom end.

I hear Paul Goodenough is awaiting a set to try and have a play with, his oppinion would be solid and worth seeking out.

K4000JB

203 posts

106 months

Saturday 15th September 2007
quotequote all
hi gav
wot happened to yours did the guy that beat me to them get them fitted? anynews on bhp or torque gains?
ant

ihatesissycars

951 posts

99 months

Saturday 15th September 2007
quotequote all
Hello!

I don't know yet to be honest. I'll contact him and see what the outcome is.

Else

Original Poster:

721 posts

135 months

Monday 17th September 2007
quotequote all
v8 racing said:
Else said:
Anybody tried them? how much better are they than stock modified ones? BHP or Flow figures?

Any info or advice would be appreciated

Andy
Andy give me a shout on monday if you are looking for some stonking rover heads, i have a set that you may like?
Rob
Hi Rob,

I'll call you later today then.

Andy

savagewidearch

11 posts

106 months

Wednesday 9th April 2008
quotequote all
Hi, i work at RPI Engineering.

We put these heads on one of our very mildly modified 4.6 engines.

I have a video on our youtube account (RPIEngineering).

The video is of it on a test bed, i am also putting a video together of the engine in a Range Rover Classic, on the Dyno.

The outcome was-
307.5 bhp at a little over 6000rpm (dont have the graph to hand)
300 lb ft across the whole rev range! From just 2500rpm (where the graph starts). So maybe at even lower rpm?

We are all imprssed with these heads here, and feel it is exactly what is needed for the Rover V8 engine.

We will be building a much higher spec 4.6 with these heads for a Dax Rush and a Morgan +8 and expect much better results.

Pupp

8,373 posts

169 months

Thursday 17th April 2008
quotequote all
savagewidearch said:
Hi, i work at RPI Engineering.

We put these heads on one of our very mildly modified 4.6 engines.

I have a video on our youtube account (RPIEngineering).

The video is of it on a test bed, i am also putting a video together of the engine in a Range Rover Classic, on the Dyno.

The outcome was-
307.5 bhp at a little over 6000rpm (dont have the graph to hand)
300 lb ft across the whole rev range! From just 2500rpm (where the graph starts). So maybe at even lower rpm?

We are all imprssed with these heads here, and feel it is exactly what is needed for the Rover V8 engine.

We will be building a much higher spec 4.6 with these heads for a Dax Rush and a Morgan +8 and expect much better results.
That's interesting... any issues with mounting ancillaries and exhaust manifolds etc? Lots of fabbing needed or plug and play?

hiltonig

2,736 posts

105 months

Sunday 20th April 2008
quotequote all
But can I still fit the TVR rocker covers ???? If not I might as well have wildcat jobbies

350Matt

3,449 posts

176 months

Sunday 20th April 2008
quotequote all
From what I've read about these heads all of the std components will fit.
However the exhaust ports are raised up in relation to the std position on the head so the exhaust Y piece on TVR's will need some fettling.

Also the inlet manifold need a little porting to get it to match the new inlet port. If I was in the market for new heads these would be my choice I have to say.

Matt

DonkeyApple

19,719 posts

66 months

Wednesday 9th November 2011
quotequote all
Slight thread resurrection. biggrin

Has anyone used Merlin heads and have any feedback?

Transmitter Man

3,580 posts

121 months

Wednesday 9th November 2011
quotequote all
v8 racing said:
Mike why on earth would you want rover heads anymore?? no seriously these are the ones we did with david vizard, i really really dont want to sell them as there is nothing else that comes close to them but other projects and other halfs needs amust!
Rob,

Would a professionally ported set of Buick heads come close?

Phil

neal1980

2,340 posts

136 months

Thursday 10th November 2011
quotequote all
Transmitter Man said:
Rob,

Would a professionally ported set of Buick heads come close?

Phil
+1 I have a set of 300 alloy buick ones here waiting to be modded smile

rev-erend

18,610 posts

181 months

Thursday 8th March 2012
quotequote all
So - has anyone fitted them yet ?

Any impressions or before and after power figures.