Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Waffagolf

Original Poster:

100 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
I took my beloved 1990 Turbo R (Hatty) for her M.O.T. yesterday Friday 13th, and yet again she sailed through with no problems at all. I'm so chuffed I just wanted you to know.

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 15th April 2012 quote quote all
Waffagolf said:
I took my beloved 1990 Turbo R (Hatty) for her M.O.T. yesterday Friday 13th, and yet again she sailed through with no problems at all. I'm so chuffed I just wanted you to know.
Great news and good to read someone who names their car!

Our 1993 Turbo R LWB with 140,000++ miles sailed through the MOT last week.


Waffagolf

Original Poster:

100 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 18th April 2012 quote quote all
Fantastic.

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 19th April 2012 quote quote all
RESSE said:
Great news and good to read someone who names their car!

Our 1993 Turbo R LWB with 140,000++ miles sailed through the MOT last week.
Edit for accuracy - our Turbo R has achieved 162,000 miles.driving

Bluebottle911

503 posts

75 months

[news] 
Saturday 28th April 2012 quote quote all
My '90 TR has also just passed its MOT, no work, no advisories. smile
Advertisement

keith9849

40 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 2nd May 2012 quote quote all
In reply to RESSE, I have just laid hands on the 1993 price list, and your car had a RRP of £133,727.93!

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 3rd May 2012 quote quote all
keith9849 said:
In reply to RESSE, I have just laid hands on the 1993 price list, and your car had a RRP of £133,727.93!
I know - please don't tell me what it is worth today!

PS Our Turbo R has been one of our great ownership experiences.

bergxu

197 posts

37 months

[news] 
Friday 4th May 2012 quote quote all
RESSE said:
PS Our Turbo R has been one of our great ownership experiences.
Ditto, I'm on my third. Not sure what keeps me coming back to them, but I guess my masochistic side is the dominant one wink


RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Saturday 5th May 2012 quote quote all
bergxu said:
Ditto, I'm on my third. Not sure what keeps me coming back to them, but I guess my masochistic side is the dominant one wink
The current Turbo is our 2nd one (replaced a 1986 model):



Wonderful cars.

6750cc

554 posts

53 months

[news] 
Saturday 5th May 2012 quote quote all
RESSE said:
The current Turbo is our 2nd one (replaced a 1986 model):



Wonderful cars.
Great photo...lovely cars.

Andy

BeenThereBefore

10 posts

21 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
RESSE said:
RESSE said:
Great news and good to read someone who names their car!

Our 1993 Turbo R LWB with 140,000++ miles sailed through the MOT last week.
Edit for accuracy - our Turbo R has achieved 162,000 miles.driving
Well, as an owner of a 1993 Turbo R with 44,500 miles, its good to know that my car has at least another 100,000 miles of life, which at this rate of driving will take another 50 years or so.

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
BeenThereBefore said:
Well, as an owner of a 1993 Turbo R with 44,500 miles, its good to know that my car has at least another 100,000 miles of life, which at this rate of driving will take another 50 years or so.
Turbo R is in for annual service this week.

I await news (good/bad) as to outcome.


BeenThereBefore

10 posts

21 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
RESSE said:
Turbo R is in for annual service this week.

I await news (good/bad) as to outcome.
Mine just had it in early July. No big deal,fluids, new rear accumulators, charge AC and some belt adjustments. I decided to treat her to the 48K mileage with the main dealer. They laughed at a 20 year old car getting its 48K service. Most of the new GT and Flying Spur owners who were there were in awe of how good she looked.

2708420018

155 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
Just had my 2000 Continental R MOT'd. Had to have suspension rubber gaiters replaced as these are now a new item in the test.If you need new ones Flying spares stock the lower ball joint ones and the others are bog standard

Paul

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
BeenThereBefore said:
RESSE said:
Turbo R is in for annual service this week.

I await news (good/bad) as to outcome.
Mine just had it in early July. No big deal,fluids, new rear accumulators, charge AC and some belt adjustments. I decided to treat her to the 48K mileage with the main dealer. They laughed at a 20 year old car getting its 48K service. Most of the new GT and Flying Spur owners who were there were in awe of how good she looked.
Bad news (part 1) - needs new air con condensor frown

RedOctober

122 posts

96 months

[news] 
Thursday 26th July 2012 quote quote all
My '96 Turbo R had a leaking air-con condenser. It's a double-row parallel flow R134a condenser & new ones were priced at around £1200. I found a more cost-effective solution by measuring the old condenser dimensions & looking for single-row condensers of similar dimensions.

Eventually I found that the R134a condensers from the Rover 25 & 45 models were simliar dimensions & also parallel flow. I ordered 2 from Germany for a total price of £95 including tax & delivery. I then spent a few days with hacksaws, drills & bolts to connect the 2 single-row condensers together in the correct flow order-then I connected the 'new' fabricated condenser to the vehicle's pipework.

Then it was a case of evacuating the air from the system & recharging with R134a until the correct weight of refrigerant was in the system & there were no air bubbles in the receiver-drier. The system works fine now & blows cold air through all the vents at high fan speeds. I gave it a good test on a hot weekend, where it had 5 hours of continuous operation on a long drive without giving any problems.

Total cost was around £150 including R134a, although I did need several days of bending, cutting & drilling to attach the condensers together & then connect them to the vehicle pipework. The repair looks pretty much the same as the original & you'd only notice the slight differences if you took the front grille off & inspected the new assembly at very close range.

Not sure if the same repair method could be used on the earlier models (pre-50,000 series) as these used serpentine-flow pattern R12 condensers. My repair was for the later parallel-flow pattern R134a condensers. PM me if you want to know the details & see the pics smile

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Friday 27th July 2012 quote quote all
RedOctober said:
My '96 Turbo R had a leaking air-con condenser. It's a double-row parallel flow R134a condenser & new ones were priced at around £1200. I found a more cost-effective solution by measuring the old condenser dimensions & looking for single-row condensers of similar dimensions.

Eventually I found that the R134a condensers from the Rover 25 & 45 models were simliar dimensions & also parallel flow. I ordered 2 from Germany for a total price of £95 including tax & delivery. I then spent a few days with hacksaws, drills & bolts to connect the 2 single-row condensers together in the correct flow order-then I connected the 'new' fabricated condenser to the vehicle's pipework.

Then it was a case of evacuating the air from the system & recharging with R134a until the correct weight of refrigerant was in the system & there were no air bubbles in the receiver-drier. The system works fine now & blows cold air through all the vents at high fan speeds. I gave it a good test on a hot weekend, where it had 5 hours of continuous operation on a long drive without giving any problems.

Total cost was around £150 including R134a, although I did need several days of bending, cutting & drilling to attach the condensers together & then connect them to the vehicle pipework. The repair looks pretty much the same as the original & you'd only notice the slight differences if you took the front grille off & inspected the new assembly at very close range.

Not sure if the same repair method could be used on the earlier models (pre-50,000 series) as these used serpentine-flow pattern R12 condensers. My repair was for the later parallel-flow pattern R134a condensers. PM me if you want to know the details & see the pics smile
PM Sent - many thanks.

RESSE

3,266 posts

101 months

[news] 
Friday 3rd August 2012 quote quote all
Car returned to us yesterday afternoon woohoo

Invoice arrived this morning rotate

Labour + aircon codensor £1,259
Number Two Service + brake accumulator spheres + Sundries £2,829

Approaching 170,000 miles - still driving beautifuuly.

BeenThereBefore

10 posts

21 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
BeenThereBefore said:
Mine just had it in early July. No big deal,fluids, new rear accumulators, charge AC and some belt adjustments. I decided to treat her to the 48K mileage with the main dealer. They laughed at a 20 year old car getting its 48K service. Most of the new GT and Flying Spur owners who were there were in awe of how good she looked.
I spoke too soon. Power steering rack sprung a big leak this week. Needs another remanufacture. Good news, its still under warranty as I just had it done a few months ago. Bad news, they have to swap it out with a Crewe part as the service was done with a factory authorized dealer. So far one week in the shop and no part on the way. Could be another week or two before I see the car again.

550Anniv

306 posts

102 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
Hi Reese.

Pleased to hear the Bentley is running well.....I did the invoice as I work
for Broughtons...And I am fellow Boxster owner!!

;-)
2
Reply to Topic