Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

RichB

30,264 posts

169 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
85Carrera said:
Too busy for me this year. <clip> Hope they ration the tickets next year. I would happily pay more for a less crowded experience..
Ironically, and contrary to your perception, it's been pegged at the same number of tickets sold for the last 3 years.


Edited by RichB on Tuesday 18th September 20:55

85Carrera

976 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th September 2012 quote quote all
RichB said:
ronically, and cintrary to your perception, it's been pegged at the same number of tickets sold for the last 3 years.
Not sure where your information is from but all the people who I know who have been for the last few years, plus those we were parked next to on Lavant Bank, were saying the same - far too crowded and event losing some of its lustre as a result.

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th September 2012 quote quote all
If you search the old news items on the Goodwood website you can soon find the figures:

2009 132,000
2010 128,000
2011 138,000
2012 146,000

They were capped in 2010 but it seems the cap has been raised each year since then.

~iw

RichB

30,264 posts

169 months

[news] 
Tuesday 18th September 2012 quote quote all
My experience of the weekend was that Friday was more crowded than usual but that Sunday, if anything, was less so. Saturday was about normal. Certainly the car parking was much better, the additional attractions worked well and the racing as usual, was excellent. I went to the Le Mans Classic this year (having been in 2006 & 08 but missed 10) and Goodwood knocks that into a cocked hat. It's by far the best classic racing event of the year and I'll be back next year. All IMO of course. smile


Edited by RichB on Tuesday 18th September 20:58

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
FWDRacer said:
What's this "nearly" rubbish. Can somebody start an "appreciation for the event" thread. As my battery went flat - Pictures would be lovely too wink
Here you go...

The best Revival ever?
2012 Goodwood Revival Meeting Photo Gallery


Advertisement

RichB

30,264 posts

169 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
85Carrera said:
Not sure where your information is from...
I popped over to the GRRC forum and asked the govenor and you were right, it has been pegged for the last 3 years but this was the first time it sold out on all three days. smile Hence why I thought it seemed busier on Friday .

Crossflow Kid

7,584 posts

76 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
DJRC said:
Those rugrats and the self indulgent daddies will also have contributed vastly more dosh to the Revival than you and they are far more important to the Revival than you, so just tough, you have to lump it.
So it's "their" event and they're good enough to let us mere mortals attend?
fk that.
Another reason never to go back, along with it now being over-crowded and over-priced, and thus hugely over-rated.
I'm as important to the event as the next man, titled or otherwise.

James B

713 posts

129 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Crossflow Kid said:
DJRC said:
Those rugrats and the self indulgent daddies will also have contributed vastly more dosh to the Revival than you and they are far more important to the Revival than you, so just tough, you have to lump it.
So it's "their" event and they're good enough to let us mere mortals attend?
fk that.
Another reason never to go back, along with it now being over-crowded and over-priced, and thus hugely over-rated.
I'm as important to the event as the next man, titled or otherwise.
2013 145999

wink

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
RichB said:
I popped over to the GRRC forum and asked the govenor and you were right...
You mean the GRRC forum is active? How do you join then, it's had new user registrations disabled for as long as I can remember.


Crossflow Kid

7,584 posts

76 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
James B said:
Crossflow Kid said:
DJRC said:
Those rugrats and the self indulgent daddies will also have contributed vastly more dosh to the Revival than you and they are far more important to the Revival than you, so just tough, you have to lump it.
So it's "their" event and they're good enough to let us mere mortals attend?
fk that.
Another reason never to go back, along with it now being over-crowded and over-priced, and thus hugely over-rated.
I'm as important to the event as the next man, titled or otherwise.
2013 145999

wink
145998 hactuerleeee as Lady CK has had it with Goodwood too wink

RichB

30,264 posts

169 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Ian Wegg said:
RichB said:
I popped over to the GRRC forum and asked the govenor and you were right...
You mean the GRRC forum is active? How do you join then, it's had new user registrations disabled for as long as I can remember.
No idea how you sign on but I've been using it for years... Lot's of sensible converstaions on there and good photos. Obviously I assume you are a memeber?

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
RichB said:
Ian Wegg said:
RichB said:
I popped over to the GRRC forum and asked the govenor and you were right...
You mean the GRRC forum is active? How do you join then, it's had new user registrations disabled for as long as I can remember.
No idea how you sign on but I've been using it for years... Lot's of sensible converstaions on there and good photos. Obviously I assume you are a memeber?
Yes I'm a member. I've looked at the main forum page a few times over the years but the "latest news" dated September 2008 has never changed. I'd assumed it had been abandoned! I've emailed the GRRC.

~iw




DJRC

22,026 posts

121 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
Crossflow Kid said:
DJRC said:
Those rugrats and the self indulgent daddies will also have contributed vastly more dosh to the Revival than you and they are far more important to the Revival than you, so just tough, you have to lump it.
So it's "their" event and they're good enough to let us mere mortals attend?
fk that.
Another reason never to go back, along with it now being over-crowded and over-priced, and thus hugely over-rated.
I'm as important to the event as the next man, titled or otherwise.
Its always been "their" event. This is neither news nor shocking. Such is life.

Of course Goodwood Revival isnt worth the money the weekend costs by any rational thought process. Its the only motoring event I do in the yr though, its pretty much the only thing my family does together and it IS the only place and time in the world that I can mix classic cars and warbirds and get out onto the flight pan, up close and personal with them. As such I regard it and my Aero club membership to be worth it to me.

jgoodwood

484 posts

89 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
Ian Wegg said:
You mean the GRRC forum is active? How do you join then, it's had new user registrations disabled for as long as I can remember.
Call Kelly in the office.. She can sort that for you.
J

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Thursday 20th September 2012 quote quote all
jgoodwood said:
Ian Wegg said:
You mean the GRRC forum is active? How do you join then, it's had new user registrations disabled for as long as I can remember.
Call Kelly in the office.. She can sort that for you.
J
Thank you J, Kelly has indeed sorted me out.

Ironically the first topic I've read there is a copy of my own post above!

~iw

7/11

182 posts

95 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all

I can help with the numbers attending, having supported this event from the very first Revival, it is apparent that its now pure theatre so its an exit from me for 2013.

The meeting has a leisurely start now at 10.00 and is usually running late by 11.00
The parades are boring if you have a 3 day day ticket and the air displays are the same with no imagination as to type of aircraft.

Many race "winners" allegedly have trick cars and if I want to see pedal cars I will go to the park.
Sunday is a dead loss with more padding than a DFS mattress.

On a positive note I got out of the car park in under 5 minutes at the end of the meeting every day
(many had left early, that must tell you something!)and opening the Madgwick gate was a brilliant idea.

That said the race fans have deserted this meeting like rats from a sinking ship, which no doubt was part of the strategy, people with chairs are not really welcome, corporate bums with hospitality or
champagne drinkers with roving grandstand seats is the message now.

Goodbye Goodwood, for the same money I can do Silverstone Classic 3 days, Spa 6 hours 3 days, Brands Suprprix 2 days, the Oulton Gold Cup 2 days and still have change!!!!!!!!!!!


srob

9,388 posts

123 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
^Bye then.

Guess I'll be seeing you on the banks for club racing around the UK?

Yes you can get better racing watching Maestros rubbing door handles around Snetterton, and cheaper bacon sarnies and less sitting around in between too. But, when the sun was setting as a Spitfire took off over our heads, with a pint in hand and a trilby on as an open piped single seater went past, there's nowhere I'd have rather been smile

Oh, and to say that the Revival isn't for 'real' race fans is a bit silly. I have a season pass for two UK club circuits, and spend far too much of my life watching live racing. And this year's Revival was one of the best things I've ever been to!

RichB

30,264 posts

169 months

[news] 
Thursday 4th October 2012 quote quote all
You say the air displays are always the same yet this year we had a pair of Hawker Hunter jets - a first I believe wink A couple of years ago the Vulcan appeared which was also rather different! As you've been to them all I assume you also saw the replica Vickers Vimy in flight a few years ago?

Having also been to all bar one Revival (I missed the first one) I would swear there are exactly the same number of races these days as there were in the Early years, my race cards are all downstairs so I could easily check.

Obviously you've grown tired of it but personally I thoroughly enjoyed this year's weekend, the racing was great, the air displays excellent and egress from the car parks was greatly improved by the new one way system.

Each to their own but I for one wouldn't miss it.

sean11

195 posts

75 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
totally agree wouldnt miss either main events at goodwood look forward to it all year, no i cant tell you the make and model of every car but i enjoy it for the occasion and the racing along with the air displays. if you are tired of the sound and sight of the spitfire you must be tired of life

Ian Wegg

190 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I will occasionally skip a Festival of Speed (as I did this year) which stops me becoming jaundiced and makes it more special the following year. If I ever started to feel that way about the Revival I would do the same, but I haven't felt the need so far.

There's an interesting editorial by Alistair Clements in the current Classic & Sports Car magazine about getting a fresh perspective by experiencing the event in the company of a first-timer. I might do that next year, introduce a friend.

~iw
1 2
Reply to Topic