Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

donfisher

650 posts

53 months

[news] 
Friday 13th July 2012 quote quote all
vwsurfbum said:
got it for £60, not too sad, i have the carriers off my leon, so see how it goes?
By the looks of it you'll be missing this, which has all the gubbins to actually fit it to the car


vwsurfbum

Original Poster:

298 posts

98 months

[news] 
Tuesday 17th July 2012 quote quote all
Yep, and now i'm screwed as the porsche dealer cant supply one! Grr




this is how its packed tonight for tomorrows ride

jimmyone

954 posts

29 months

[news] 
Friday 3rd August 2012 quote quote all
got one from argos for £40 !!!!!!
fits perfectly, only one little problem where the bottom hooks connnect under plastic bumper
made two hook extensions with rubber protectors and i was sorted.
the bumper has a metal heat shield attached , so is solid. !!
i only had one bike on though...but it looks as if it woud take two
a bit iffy for three !!!!!
travelled fifty miles and bike was solid when i arrived. no problems

mk1fan

4,879 posts

112 months

[news] 
Friday 3rd August 2012 quote quote all
donfisher said:
That is actually pretty cool:

No, it isn't.

khushy

3,478 posts

106 months

[news] 
Friday 3rd August 2012 quote quote all
I have a Spyder and can get my track bike + all the st into the 2 boots AND a clear cockpit

cranks off, handlebars off and away you go.

Khushy
Advertisement

JayPee

1,030 posts

82 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
jimmyone said:
got one from argos for £40 !!!!!!
fits perfectly, only one little problem where the bottom hooks connnect under plastic bumper
made two hook extensions with rubber protectors and i was sorted.
the bumper has a metal heat shield attached , so is solid. !!
i only had one bike on though...but it looks as if it woud take two
a bit iffy for three !!!!!
travelled fifty miles and bike was solid when i arrived. no problems
Interested in seeing pics of this? also do you think it would work with an aero kit car like below?:


HereBeMonsters

13,458 posts

69 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
mk1fan said:
donfisher said:
That is actually pretty cool:

No, it isn't.
Yes it is. I almost bought a Boxster instead of the Elise because of this.

If there was an Elise variant, I would snap it up like an overzealous nephew playing "snap".

mk1fan

4,879 posts

112 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
No, it isn't.

PHmember

2,229 posts

58 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
mk1fan said:
No, it isn't.
I think it looks fantastic.

PHmember

2,229 posts

58 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
This is how mine gets about:



mk1fan

4,879 posts

112 months

[news] 
Monday 6th August 2012 quote quote all
PHmember said:
I think it looks fantastic.
That's the beauty of a free country. You're entitled to your own opinion, however wrong it may be.

AyBee

6,322 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 6th August 2012 quote quote all
HereBeMonsters said:
mk1fan said:
donfisher said:
That is actually pretty cool:

No, it isn't.
Yes it is. I almost bought a Boxster instead of the Elise because of this.

If there was an Elise variant, I would snap it up like an overzealous nephew playing "snap".
This and a bag for the bike?
Click me

daz3210

5,000 posts

127 months

[news] 
Monday 6th August 2012 quote quote all
AyBee said:
This and a bag for the bike?
Click me
I thought you couldn't use a boot rack on the elise due to the lack of strength in the clam?????

HereBeMonsters

13,458 posts

69 months

[news] 
Monday 6th August 2012 quote quote all
daz3210 said:
AyBee said:
This and a bag for the bike?
Click me
I thought you couldn't use a boot rack on the elise due to the lack of strength in the clam?????
Yeah, I wince putting a heavy shopping bag in the boot, much less luggage on four points around the bootlid. Not to mention covering the vents. A bike wouldn't, I guess, but it's still 10-15kg of stuff, plus the weight of the rack.

The only solution I can think of for mine (which is an S1) is to somehow have a rear rack that hangs from the roll hoop. No idea where the bottom bit would rest though. Are those metal venturis on the underside strong enough to take a load?

BliarOut

60,086 posts

126 months

[news] 
Monday 6th August 2012 quote quote all
mk1fan said:
PHmember said:
I think it looks fantastic.
That's the beauty of a free country. You're entitled to your own opinion, however wrong it may be.
Sorry, you're out voted... I like it too biggrin

jimmyone

954 posts

29 months

[news] 
Friday 10th August 2012 quote quote all
JayPee said:
Interested in seeing pics of this? also do you think it would work with an aero kit car like below?:

SORRY MATE,
I CANT SEE IT WORKING WITH THE SPOILER IN THE WAY

jimmyone

954 posts

29 months

[news] 
Friday 10th August 2012 quote quote all
JUST AN UPDATE ON BOXSTER ROOF RACK QUESTION,
THE SAME RACK IS FOR SALE AT TESCO FOR £30.00 !!!!
JUST REMEMBER TO MAKE A COUPLE OF EXTENSIONS FOR BENEATH THE REAR BUMPER

vwsurfbum

Original Poster:

298 posts

98 months

[news] 
Monday 10th September 2012 quote quote all
OK, been using the rear mounted rack but after a trip on the motorway yesterday, i spent more time looking in the rear view mirror than infront of me!
Right as i have the bars already, any suggestions where i'd be able to source the fitting kit? Porsche discotinued them frown

red355

231 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
some ten(ish) years ago I had a Boxster s and managed to buy a very lightly used Porsche RTS roof transport system for I think circa 200 quid.

its a well engineered bit of kit, but its not an easy thing to use infrequently. once fitted (45mins effort, once you want you are doing) the folding hood is stuck in the position....so either up or down.it was very secure and actually made the car stiffer
oh yes I did try it on a late summer morning trip to a race...that felt strange with all the wind in the bike...but I prob looked a proper-prat

when I sold the Boxster (bought a MINI)... I flogged it for 250 on the bay of evil, shipping was a nightmare

used it maybe 5 times.......

vwsurfbum

Original Poster:

298 posts

98 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
i bought last week the BirdAutomotive one that mounts at the back, so now i have both!

So if anyone wants the origanal Porsche bars let me know.
1
3 4
Reply to Topic