Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 4 5
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Evangelion

Original Poster:

2,895 posts

64 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFuHMQjxxc

This is what happens when you try to go too fast too soon - first lap, no time to warm up tyres, brakes ... or talent.

His passenger arrived full of enthusiasm for her first trackday; couldn't talk about anything else all week, couldn't sleep the night before, etc. Then when she arrived she asked us (MX-5 Owners Club, Western Region) if we were going out on track and we all said no! (We've learnt our lesson, we never do Performance Car Action Days, too many idiots on track.) So she went off in search of some bloke whose car she could charm her way into. And this was who she found.

Amazingly both she and the driver were unharmed although she did admit she felt a bit sore. Bet she's a bit more sore today!

TheEnd

14,304 posts

74 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Ah... driver tries to impress a young lady.

garyhun

16,356 posts

114 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
oops!!

wilbo83

856 posts

51 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Same reason I would never go on track at Trax, Japfest, Rally Day etc..

Blackpuddin

5,714 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Going about 30mph too fast for that corner. Watch the PH Classifieds for a Cat D Fiat Coupe, light boot damage only.
Advertisement

Trev450

3,512 posts

58 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
The remaining cars totally ignored the marshal's red flags as well.

Blackpuddin

5,714 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Trev450 said:
The remaining cars totally ignored the marshal's red flags as well.
Probably couldn't see them for the red mist.

jazzybee

2,825 posts

135 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
wilbo83 said:
Same reason I would never go on track at Trax, Japfest, Rally Day etc..
Saw a very similar accident when I did a couple of laps at Japfest about 7- 10 years ago - I think it was an Evo Mitsubishi that went off. Decided to stick with Owners Club arranged track days after that.

Dave Hedgehog

7,270 posts

90 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Trev450 said:
The remaining cars totally ignored the marshal's red flags as well.
yep that's the first thing i noticed, zero observational skills, how can you not notice a car on its roof ...


those drivers soon to be seen in lane 3 with cars glued to there bumpers and lane 2 empty ...

Synchromesh

2,138 posts

52 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Quite a few cars on track by the looks of it - don't think I'd enjoy that hugely. And how the Fiat drive went in that much to fast is a mystery to me...

jagracer

7,571 posts

122 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
I can't fully remember the approach to that bend but it like like 95% of those cars were way way off the correct line to get to the apex.

JakesterUK

869 posts

85 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Dire driving by the fiat, probably too busy chatting to said passenger and didnt see the corner, but the other drivers all ignoring a car barrel rolling and a red flag truly unreal

b0rk

564 posts

32 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Well that's the biggest track day crash I've seen any idea on the entry speed? Completely missed the corner.

Camp is a difficult corner for the inexperienced slightly tightens on entry IIRC. Anyway pretty appalling driving by all there, wrong lines, overtaking under braking and all after the session has been red flagged. Mad. I hope the marshals sent those drivers home.

SirenSarah

1 posts

25 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Hi, just thought I'd put my point over as you make it sound like I am some silly little school girl on her first trip.

I took my helmet as I was informed that I would be taken out by someone, unfortunately people let me down, lost their snickers maybe.

Anyway I did not go off to 'charm my way into a guys car', sorry my days of sipping 20/20 and getting lifts home in Orion's are done.

He is a friend of my best mate, for those who have never made a mistake behind the wheel, well done you and it is slightly disrespectful to comment in the way some have.

Rant over, I am alive and thank the helmet and the lovely St Johns people for their time, and Id do it again tomorrow if I could.I got my lotto ticket last night and drive on.

jagracer

7,571 posts

122 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Glad you're OK although I don't see why you got berated for being a passenger in the car. That corner as with most of the rest of Combe is unforgiving and can easily catch people out.

micron750

833 posts

118 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
SirenSarah said:
Hi, just thought I'd put my point over as you make it sound like I am some silly little school girl on her first trip.

I took my helmet as I was informed that I would be taken out by someone, unfortunately people let me down, lost their snickers maybe.

Anyway I did not go off to 'charm my way into a guys car', sorry my days of sipping 20/20 and getting lifts home in Orion's are done.

He is a friend of my best mate, for those who have never made a mistake behind the wheel, well done you and it is slightly disrespectful to comment in the way some have.

Rant over, I am alive and thank the helmet and the lovely St Johns people for their time, and Id do it again tomorrow if I could.I got my lotto ticket last night and drive on.
I think the point is if you got out onto a track with very little if any track experience you take it easy learn the circuit especially Castle Combe as you found out doesn't take prisoners glad you're ok tho!

mybrainhurts

77,691 posts

141 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
Evangelion said:
Amazingly both she and the driver were unharmed
Why..? Quite a gentle energy dump there.

micron750

833 posts

118 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
mybrainhurts said:
Why..? Quite a gentle energy dump there.
Hardly you ever hit the wall at that speed without a cage??

jagracer

7,571 posts

122 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
micron750 said:
Hardly you ever hit the wall at that speed without a cage??
I can assure you it hurts when you have a cage.

mybrainhurts

77,691 posts

141 months

[news] 
Sunday 9th September 2012 quote quote all
micron750 said:
mybrainhurts said:
Why..? Quite a gentle energy dump there.
Hardly you ever hit the wall at that speed without a cage??
I have to admit I haven't, but I did a similar stunt through a dry stone wall in a Mini, and settled with the roof touching the steering wheel, without injury. Does that count?

2 3 4 5
Reply to Topic