PistonHeads.com Forum

What's a good lap time at Spa?

What's a good lap time at Spa?

Author
Discussion

SAGRIFF

2,312 posts

84 months

Sunday 10th April 2011
quotequote all
SAGRIFF said:
Bloody ell some quick drivers/cars here,

My best is a 3.05 (good clear lap with very good conditions) standard TVR Griff 500 (280bhp) though it had Nitrons and R888 and everything was flying past me up Kemmel.

I would think anything under 3mins is quick for a road legal car.

cwin

831 posts

124 months

Tuesday 26th July 2011
quotequote all
Just got back from Spa, 2.53:7 in a 24 year old ferrari 328 GTB on standard suspension,standard brakes,same tyres as we drove over on, cracking little car only 260hp and 1255 kg, not me driving.

We did 1350 miles 320 on the track, car never missed a beat.

ginettajoe

1,654 posts

123 months

Tuesday 26th July 2011
quotequote all
cwin said:
Just got back from Spa, 2.53:7 in a 24 year old ferrari 328 GTB on standard suspension,standard brakes,same tyres as we drove over on, cracking little car only 260hp and 1255 kg, not me driving.

We did 1350 miles 320 on the track, car never missed a beat.
Just think how quick it would have been with you at the helm!!! tongue outbeerbiglaugh

splitpin

2,664 posts

103 months

Tuesday 26th July 2011
quotequote all
Circa 2.20 in a Race Spec SR8, best qualy time earlier this year was just sub 2.17 yikes

cwin

831 posts

124 months

Tuesday 26th July 2011
quotequote all
ginettajoe said:
Just think how quick it would have been with you at the helm!!! tongue outbeerbiglaugh
Not that quick, thats for surebiggrin
Advertisement

pikeyboy

2,180 posts

119 months

Wednesday 27th July 2011
quotequote all
Several years ago now I raced in the FISC series at spa and got round in a smidge under 3.20 in a road going class mg midget - 1293 engine, road tyres etc, 620kg.

trevor0760

5 posts

68 months

Wednesday 5th October 2011
quotequote all
My son & I were driving a bog standard Nissan R35 GTR and I recorder a 2min 53 lap whilst he achieved a 2min 46 lap which will shortly appear on you tube with verification using our in car video VBox data logger.

We would love to know of any faster times with a standard car on standard road Tyres. I had previously run the car on Bridgestone run flats but for this trip we tried out the latest factory fit Dunlop's which proved very good in both the dry and damp conditions.

Fiscracer

563 posts

115 months

Thursday 6th October 2011
quotequote all
steve z said:
Was at Spa this week and have now had chance to analyse some video and it looks like I was putting in lap times in the range of 2:57 to 3:05.

Anyone know how this compares with other road cars (can't find anything on Google)?
A lot depends on what tyres you're running. I've done upwards of 30 laps a year for the last 10 years there so I know it quite well. The fastest laps for me are:

Historic MGB on Dunlop historic crossplies 3.09
MG Midget on 155 road tyres 3.07
MG Midget on Yokos 3.03 - std lever arms and brakes
MkI GT3 on road tyres 2.43 (old busstop)
Caterham Superlight on slicks 2.30 (old busstop)

The fastest of the 'road' cars at this years 6 Hours IIRC was Shaun McInerney in his Griffith who did a 2.47 on either Avon or Dunlop historic crossplies



shim

2,040 posts

113 months

Thursday 6th October 2011
quotequote all
trevor0760 said:
My son & I were driving a bog standard Nissan R35 GTR and I recorder a 2min 53 lap whilst he achieved a 2min 46 lap which will shortly appear on you tube with verification using our in car video VBox data logger.

We would love to know of any faster times with a standard car on standard road Tyres. I had previously run the car on Bridgestone run flats but for this trip we tried out the latest factory fit Dunlop's which proved very good in both the dry and damp conditions.
That's a great time to be sure. I've seen evidence of a 997GT3RS clocking 2m44.6 around Spa this year, also on YT.

My CSL was there with me on Monday and Tuesday and clocked a 2m 53 (just short of my best)

itsallyellow

3,375 posts

125 months

Friday 7th October 2011
quotequote all
I really enjoyed the Monday trackday this year. Thought the driving standards were really good. Had a couple of scares with slower cars at the top of eau Rouge but that cant be helped!

Amazing how much of a difference having a passenger in the car makes, nearly missed the bus stop at one point!

Mike

Old Seadog

31 posts

76 months

Friday 7th October 2011
quotequote all
shim said:
That's a great time to be sure. I've seen evidence of a 997GT3RS clocking 2m44.6 around Spa this year, also on YT.

My CSL was there with me on Monday and Tuesday and clocked a 2m 53 (just short of my best)
My first time at Spa earlier this week and did a 2m 56 in my Porsche GTS with standard road tyres.

PHOENIXUK

2,090 posts

106 months

Tuesday 27th March 2012
quotequote all
Apologies for the resurection....but,
Finally got round to doing Spa on slicks this weekend, 2.37 and still untidy one day when I learn to drive a sub 2.30 is defo possible.

SimonJW

779 posts

142 months

Wednesday 28th March 2012
quotequote all
steve z said:
Guillotine said:
that's pretty good for a 1st time...pretty good anyway in a road car i'd say.

lap records around 1m32s. Kimi F1 Fezza.
Can't even comprehend what 1m32s must feel like, must be absolutely epic.
This gives a fair idea.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw

I thnink F1s hit 160mph through Eu Rouge, absolutley awesome - how can you possibly have time to think?

tertius

5,081 posts

135 months

Wednesday 28th March 2012
quotequote all
3'14" in a Clio 172 Cup on road tyres. Was quite pleased with that.

bicycleshorts

1,884 posts

66 months

Wednesday 28th March 2012
quotequote all
SimonJW said:
steve z said:
Guillotine said:
that's pretty good for a 1st time...pretty good anyway in a road car i'd say.

lap records around 1m32s. Kimi F1 Fezza.
Can't even comprehend what 1m32s must feel like, must be absolutely epic.
This gives a fair idea.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex5dhhpSHCw

I thnink F1s hit 160mph through Eu Rouge, absolutley awesome - how can you possibly have time to think?
It's 1.45 - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Spa-Franco... . Still bloody fast though.

Good thread, we're heading there on Monday, if anyone sees a black mx5 mk1 feel free to say hi! smile

systemsinclair

102 posts

89 months

Thursday 29th March 2012
quotequote all
My first time last year. Only timed laps on the second day when it was drying out my best was 3.03 in a corrado defo think i can get in mid 2.50 on full dry track and some more laps under my belt.
What a great track.

shim

2,040 posts

113 months

Thursday 29th March 2012
quotequote all
systemsinclair said:
My first time last year. Only timed laps on the second day when it was drying out my best was 3.03 in a corrado defo think i can get in mid 2.50 on full dry track and some more laps under my belt.
What a great track.
Not unless it is running 450bhp on slicks

GravelBen

12,352 posts

135 months

Friday 30th March 2012
quotequote all
shim said:
systemsinclair said:
My first time last year. Only timed laps on the second day when it was drying out my best was 3.03 in a corrado defo think i can get in mid 2.50 on full dry track and some more laps under my belt.
What a great track.
Not unless it is running 450bhp on slicks
Well his profile says 350... hehe

911Thrasher

2,287 posts

104 months

Friday 30th March 2012
quotequote all
3:05 - 3:10 consistant first time i went to Spa in my 997.1 RS last Spring - prob did 8 trackdays in total in my short career (mainly Bedford) and Spa was something like my 5th or 6th trackday ever.

I take it super easy, never the first one to arrive, prob one of the first one to leave. 5 laps at the time (incl. half a cooling lap), 4/6 times during the day.

15min instructor super helpful - I like to take one around 10/11am and another one after lunch.

Edited by 911Thrasher on Friday 30th March 09:37

GrahamSaunders

204 posts

72 months

Friday 30th March 2012
quotequote all
997.1 GT3 on Pirelli Corsas, last year did 2:53 with a passenger.