Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

YE55 JAW

Original Poster:

20 posts

24 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
Thanks for the heads up madmover. Both of my parents are on all the quotes aswell, I will try the multi car as my parents are due their renewal this month.

missdiane

13,953 posts

134 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
I have a friend who is 18/19 and was insured on an MX5 so let me ask her

YE55 JAW

Original Poster:

20 posts

24 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
That's a "her" though... Gonna be a lot easier to insure a girl.

missdiane

13,953 posts

134 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
Surely it's worth a a call though... I don't have to ask her tongue out

YE55 JAW

Original Poster:

20 posts

24 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
It would be appreciated Diane smile
Advertisement

tyrewrecker

6,419 posts

39 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
YE55 JAW said:
That's a "her" though... Gonna be a lot easier to insure a girl.
Might be cheaper for you to get some gender transplant pills and be a chick? It will make it more believable when you tell people you are a hairdresser anyway. wink

Trackside Junior

237 posts

108 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
Hi,

I had a Jasper Conran (which was more expensive to insure than an S-VT Sport, which is my next car) and was insured with Admiral for about £1600 for 10 months insurance, but it was only that "cheap" because they price matched Diamond, which is a womens insurer. Flux quoted me about £4k for a moded one. I wouldn't modify it just yet, because it will easily double your premium. I tried to get insured on my mums Sport as a named driver, which would have been about £1300 without the exhaust if I wanted to insure it as my car, but because it has an exhaust the premium was £2500.

MG CHRIS

4,176 posts

52 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
YE55 JAW said:
JQ your the man!(or the lady :S)

Chris, looks a beaut! British racing green with the cream leather, spot on!
Is that the original steering wheel and hand brake? Wooden finish looks superb.

Thanks for the in put James smile
Yep original steering wheel and handbrake i still got a similar wheel from my first mx5 that i stripped up the garage.

MG CHRIS

4,176 posts

52 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
CrispyMK said:
MG CHRIS said:
Loving the clock you've fitted!!!! biggrin
It was already fitted before i bought it and will be taking it off when it goes on the road in november.

New POD

3,851 posts

35 months

[news] 
Monday 17th September 2012 quote quote all
tyrewrecker said:
Lots of MX5 focued info

http://www.mx5nutz.com/
I go there, and despite, (or perhaps because) my wife's mx5 is standard on 14 inch alloys with only 88 bhp, and standard suspension, it is a fun drive. Faster enough, just about comfortable enough (I can just about stand up after 2 hours in the drivers seat), and handling is great, but might be improved by decent rubber.

CrispyMK

159 posts

25 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
MG CHRIS said:
It was already fitted before i bought it and will be taking it off when it goes on the road in november.
Didn't meant it as a dig. It just made me smile, I thought I was going mad when I first got in mine and there was no clock. I'm using the clock on the knackered CD player which is running an hour slow and there doesn't seem to any way to change it.
Am I right in thinking that there are Mazda clocks that fit in the MX5 without much hassle?

MG CHRIS

4,176 posts

52 months

[news] 
Wednesday 19th September 2012 quote quote all
CrispyMK said:
MG CHRIS said:
It was already fitted before i bought it and will be taking it off when it goes on the road in november.
Didn't meant it as a dig. It just made me smile, I thought I was going mad when I first got in mine and there was no clock. I'm using the clock on the knackered CD player which is running an hour slow and there doesn't seem to any way to change it.
Am I right in thinking that there are Mazda clocks that fit in the MX5 without much hassle?
To be honest i only noticed it when driving it to work for the mot. Ive got used to not having a clock in a car as my other car a quantum kit car hasn't got one.

blueheron

401 posts

30 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Late to the party I know, but isn't insurance due to be changing in December because of this EU gender ruling thing?

Boring answer but i'd insure a hatchback, rack up some no claims and then get a 5 in a couple years time.

I didn't get my s-vt sport until I was 24. Had a Fiat Punto before that to bumble around in. It served me well!

MX-5 Lazza

7,156 posts

104 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
blueheron said:
Boring answer but i'd insure a hatchback, rack up some no claims and then get a 5 in a couple years time.
I've suggested that before and was shot down in flames for it.

blueheron

401 posts

30 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
MX-5 Lazza said:
I've suggested that before and was shot down in flames for it.
I don't understand why you were, it's a sensible suggestion!

I don't think the OP is one of these, but there are so many out there in the 17-20 age group who think they are owed something by the world. Massive sense of self-entitlement.. L'Oreal generation. And then they get upset when they can't have their way. I have in mind the general gassing thread from the other day, where a young lad bought a BMW 330ci m sport convertible and then made a post asking how to insure it!

gd49

230 posts

56 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
My insurance seems to be stubbornly stuck around £530 each year, am I likely to be able to get it any cheaper - I know it can all be very postcode dependent, but is anyone in my situation paying much less?

I'm a 27 year old male, 7 years NCB, car is 2003 1.8 Nevada, no mods. 9000 miles per year, commuting but no business use. Current policy is with Sky Insurance, will be getting a quote from Adrian Flux, the comparison websites can get down to about £500 but much worse policies and higher excesses, any other companies worth trying?

Craikeybaby

3,425 posts

110 months

[news] 
Thursday 11th October 2012 quote quote all
gd49 said:
My insurance seems to be stubbornly stuck around £530 each year, am I likely to be able to get it any cheaper - I know it can all be very postcode dependent, but is anyone in my situation paying much less?

I'm a 27 year old male, 7 years NCB, car is 2003 1.8 Nevada, no mods. 9000 miles per year, commuting but no business use. Current policy is with Sky Insurance, will be getting a quote from Adrian Flux, the comparison websites can get down to about £500 but much worse policies and higher excesses, any other companies worth trying?
I'd try these ones already mentioned in the thread, but calling rather than relying on online comparison sites.

JQ said:
This is my list of co's I phone to insure my modified MX5. Phone them all.


Competition Car Insurance 0844 8921966
REIS 0115 985 0165
Footman James 0843 3571937
Sky Insurance 03303 331250
Adrian Flux 0800 0818989
A-Plan 01635 874 646
Hertz Insurance (HIC) 0844 8884888
RH Specialists 01277 206911
Brentacre 01792 650 933
Motor Direct (A Plan) 01635 874 646
Performance Direct 0844 5733536
Hagerty 0844 8241134

blueheron

401 posts

30 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
gd49 said:
My insurance seems to be stubbornly stuck around £530 each year, am I likely to be able to get it any cheaper - I know it can all be very postcode dependent, but is anyone in my situation paying much less?

I'm a 27 year old male, 7 years NCB, car is 2003 1.8 Nevada, no mods. 9000 miles per year, commuting but no business use. Current policy is with Sky Insurance, will be getting a quote from Adrian Flux, the comparison websites can get down to about £500 but much worse policies and higher excesses, any other companies worth trying?
26, female, 6 years protected NCB, 2004 1.8 svt sport, front grill, hard top and style bar declared, 8000 miles, mother on the policy as a named driver (not that i'd let her drive it!) commuting and business use for me only, Aviva £385 FC with £350 excess. Top postcode band though which probably has a big impact.

Call and speak to someone, talk through your options and get them to help you get the price down. Also have you tried the cash back sites like Quidco? Legit and can often net you a good £60-80 chunk back.

Edited by blueheron on Friday 12th October 15:10

dazco

3,781 posts

74 months

[news] 
Wednesday 17th October 2012 quote quote all
JQ said:
This is my list of co's I phone to insure my modified MX5. Phone them all.


Competition Car Insurance 0844 8921966
REIS 0115 985 0165     
Footman James 0843 3571937
Sky Insurance 03303 331250
Adrian Flux 0800 0818989
A-Plan 01635 874 646       
Hertz Insurance (HIC) 0844 8884888
RH Specialists 01277 206911
Brentacre 01792 650 933      
Motor Direct (A Plan) 01635 874 646
Performance Direct 0844 5733536
Hagerty 0844 8241134
Cheers for this, just rung A-plan up £146 for the year. Joyous.

I rang them because they use a normal number that does not get charged on my minutes, unlike most of the others. Companies take note.

tyrewrecker

6,419 posts

39 months

[news] 
Wednesday 17th October 2012 quote quote all
dazco said:
Cheers for this, just rung A-plan up £146 for the year. Joyous.

I rang them because they use a normal number that does not get charged on my minutes, unlike most of the others. Companies take note.
Damn, that's good, cheaper than my classic car policy. How old are you?
1 2
4
Reply to Topic