PistonHeads.com Forum

Biltong

Author
Discussion

Dave200

3,493 posts

122 months

Monday 23rd January 2012
quotequote all
Mobile Chicane said:
Waitrose have a passable version of biltong at £2.49 a bag in their ambient pre-pack charcuterie section.

The brand is 'Unearthed' - not one I'm a fan of as I think it's mostly cheap fatty ste hiding underneath the marketing, but the biltong is ok.

If you like that, then you'll love the proper stuff. lick
Well, I hopped on the bike and popped over the bridge on Saturday morning, and returned with a couple of bags of the aforementioned biltong (and a load of other stuff - impulse shopper!). Must say, I'm pretty disappointed, to the extent that I didn't even open the second bag. It was rubbery (not chewy), and didn't taste particularly strongly of anything but salt. Think I'll be giving biltong a swerve in future...

Mobile Chicane

18,501 posts

114 months

Monday 23rd January 2012
quotequote all
Don't let the 'Unearthed' biltong put you off the proper stuff.

That, and good biltong are poles apart in terms of flavour.

Chris Type R

2,695 posts

151 months

Monday 23rd January 2012
quotequote all
Dave200 said:
Well, I hopped on the bike and popped over the bridge on Saturday morning, and returned with a couple of bags of the aforementioned biltong (and a load of other stuff - impulse shopper!). Must say, I'm pretty disappointed, to the extent that I didn't even open the second bag. It was rubbery (not chewy), and didn't taste particularly strongly of anything but salt. Think I'll be giving biltong a swerve in future...
Did you try some after it had aired for a bit ?

MonkeyBusiness

3,097 posts

89 months

Monday 23rd January 2012
quotequote all
Turtle head said:
I'm sure there's a thread on here of someone who made their own.
That would be me. Saved myself a fortune. Lot of trial and error and trying different recipes.

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t...

Dave200

3,493 posts

122 months

Tuesday 24th January 2012
quotequote all
Mobile Chicane said:
Don't let the 'Unearthed' biltong put you off the proper stuff.

That, and good biltong are poles apart in terms of flavour.
Hmm... Must nip over to London Bridge tube at lunchtime one day and try that little South African place in the odd little foodhall affair at the bottom of the escalators. Any experience?

Thankfully it wasn't a wasted trip, as I managed to buy a shedload of other random cured meats (including a wonderful whole chorizo.
Advertisement

SVX

1,765 posts

113 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Well it's on folks - my Sister-in-law shipped me a Biltong maker from SA, and I've got all the ingredients to hand.

Cutting/curing and generally getting going shall happen tomorrow around the SA v. NZ game (natch), I'll post progress on this thread to save starting another one.

@MC, @JonRB & @Cotty - I'll save you some smile

Cotty

29,877 posts

186 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
bigmouth

Mobile Chicane

18,501 posts

114 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Excellent! lick

Pints

17,410 posts

96 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Old Man Pints has started making his own. Possibly the best I've ever tasted.

swerni

25,057 posts

112 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
The make their own and give you the option of dry, wet or medium.

It's all very nice.

smack

9,013 posts

93 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.

swerni

25,057 posts

112 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
smack said:
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.
Ever met a nice south African? wink

SS2.

8,884 posts

140 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Never tried it myself, but my dogs go garrity for the stuff..

eggchaser1987

1,424 posts

51 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Glad I found this thread. Really enjoy a nice bit of Boltong. I used to get it from the sausage shop in bath. Really nice stuff and sold in one thick strip.

Sadly they have now gone to that cheap ore packed stuff. frown

Think I may be trying some of the websites mentioned :-D

smack

9,013 posts

93 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
swerni said:
smack said:
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.
Ever met a nice south African? wink
Errrrr..... hehe

Mr Roper

10,357 posts

96 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
smack said:
swerni said:
smack said:
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.
Ever met a nice south African? wink
Errrrr..... hehe
My SA mate is one the nicest guys I know....always let's me know when he made a big batch. smile

Trouble is I don't like the stuff frown

swerni

25,057 posts

112 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Mr Roper said:
smack said:
swerni said:
smack said:
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.
Ever met a nice south African? wink
Errrrr..... hehe
My SA mate is one the nicest guys I know....always let's me know when he made a big batch. smile

Trouble is I don't like the stuff frown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY


wink


extraT

1,013 posts

52 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
I cannot speak highly enough of Snoggys (especially the one in Wimbledon station!).

I've been in Austria for 6 months. Every 6 weeks or so my mum sends me out a huge £30 bag of Biltong with their Garlic and Chilli Spice. The Vacuum pack it really well. Its by far and away the best Biltong I have ever had. Their Biltong steak chunks are divine!

Mr Roper

10,357 posts

96 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
swerni said:
Mr Roper said:
smack said:
swerni said:
smack said:
swerni said:
Just head to the blue rock in Bisley
I often pick up some from there when passing, and it is quite good. Pity they are such a moody lot.
Ever met a nice south African? wink
Errrrr..... hehe
My SA mate is one the nicest guys I know....always let's me know when he made a big batch. smile

Trouble is I don't like the stuff frown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY


wink
hehe

Doh.

LighthouseTrait

2,912 posts

78 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
That's funny as quite a bit of it's true. ;-)

I'm half tempted to shoot down to SW19 to buy some biltong, but as Acton is closer...