PistonHeads.com Forum

Reheating takeway chips - hints?

Author
Discussion

mat777

Original Poster:

7,469 posts

68 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Yes, I've sunk to new levels of classiness and plan on having the second half of my takeway chips for breakfast tomorrow once reheated and topped with cheese. However, I keep hearing all sorts of st about microwaving takeaway food, from "itll dry out" to "itll go soggy", and I also dont know how long to put them on for. Given that they are skinny and very dry/salty as it is (not fat, soggy ones), how long shall I bung them in for to avoid ruining them?


Rowan138

230 posts

59 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
30 seconds at first, then feel if they are getting warm. then a further 30 secs, then check again. if still only warm zap for a further 1 min smile

condor

7,214 posts

156 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
I'd reheat the chips under a pre-heated grill rather than use the microwave.

giblet

5,668 posts

85 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Another vote for the grill, get it nice and hot and just stick them in on a tray for a minute or two. You'll find that half of them will be edible and the other half need to be binned. Stay classy

dtmpower

3,838 posts

153 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Put them in a deep fat fryer - double cooked smile
Advertisement

Eversleigh

491 posts

93 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Throw them in a pan with hot oil crisp them right up then bang under the grill with cheese!

Dr G

12,354 posts

150 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
And a couple of ladels of chilli whilst you're at it.

And big blobs of mayo and sweet chilli sauce.

Ace cafe anyone? biggrin

mat777

Original Poster:

7,469 posts

68 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Thanks for the tips guys,

I microwaved the chips for 1 minute to kill any bacterial nasties, then whacked them in the oven topped with cheese on high heat for 15 minutes until they were on the verge of burning. Result - some nicely browned, dry and rigid chips glued together with bubbling cheese smile

Spitfire2

1,554 posts

94 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
mat777 said:
I microwaved the chips for 1 minute to kill any bacterial nasties
confused



mat777

Original Poster:

7,469 posts

68 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Spitfire2 said:
mat777 said:
I microwaved the chips for 1 minute to kill any bacterial nasties
confused
Well you often hear scare stories about reheating takeaway food resulting in cases of food poisoning, and a microwave is a pretty good way to kill anything down to a cellular level

calibrax

4,781 posts

119 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
mat777 said:
Well you often hear scare stories about reheating takeaway food resulting in cases of food poisoning, and a microwave is a pretty good way to kill anything down to a cellular level
Perhaps, but one minute is not anywhere near enough. It's the heat that kills the nasties, not the microwaves.

All you've done is turn bacteria into slightly warmer bacteria smile

SpeckledJim

10,290 posts

161 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Sprinkle with water. Stir fry in wok.

RichB

36,472 posts

192 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
calibrax said:
mat777 said:
Well you often hear scare stories about reheating takeaway food resulting in cases of food poisoning, and a microwave is a pretty good way to kill anything down to a cellular level
Perhaps, but one minute is not anywhere near enough. It's the heat that kills the nasties, not the microwaves.

All you've done is turn bacteria into slightly warmer bacteria smile
Firstly it's reheated meat things like pork, chicken and prawns that give you food poisoning not chips! And secondly 15 mins in the oven will have ensured they were edible - purely from a health perspective. hehe

ed1983

77 posts

96 months

Thursday 4th October 2012
quotequote all
Rice is the only thing I wouldn't reheat from a takeaway as it is probably the 3rd/4th time it's been reheated and can be seriously dangerous. Everything else is fine to reheat as long as it it reheated properly. As for chips ... Back in the fryer is the only way.

wijit

1,328 posts

83 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
Sprinkle with water. Stir fry in wok.
^^^ What he said. Onions, sliced chillies.....Jesus I'm, bloody starving again.

Pints

17,965 posts

102 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
We really are letting in anyone these days.
Reheating chips? Whatever next?

SpeckledJim

10,290 posts

161 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
wijit said:
SpeckledJim said:
Sprinkle with water. Stir fry in wok.
^^^ What he said. Onions, sliced chillies.....Jesus I'm, bloody starving again.
Yes! Chinese Salt and Pepper Chips.

Bit of sake or rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, onions, peppers and chillies, chinese 5 spice, white pepper, spring onions.

All in the hot wok, whooshy whooshy, chips in near the end, spring onions right at the death.

BEAAAAAAautiful.

Council Baby

19,680 posts

98 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
ed1983 said:
Rice is the only thing I wouldn't reheat from a takeaway as it is probably the 3rd/4th time it's been reheated and can be seriously dangerous.
But.. but... how else do you finish the curry on a Sunday morning?

pokethepope

2,421 posts

96 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Council Baby said:
But.. but... how else do you finish the curry on a Sunday morning?
Cold, straight out of the fridge with a cup of coffee. Worth the risk.

escargot

16,856 posts

125 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
You need to up your game on the dating front mat, then your victim can finish your chips off. It'll probably be the last meal she ever has....