Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Shoestringracer

Original Poster:

970 posts

84 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th March 2012 quote quote all
Hello,

I've read the blue book (on line) and it says "FIA 8856-2000 or FIA 1986" which I can't find on my Proban suit so I'm thinking I'll need a new suit? Is this right? I know that the MSA have been threaterning this for a while but I'm just surprised that some of the specialists are still promoting £100 Proban suits as suitable and I haven't seen more people moaning!

Assuming I do need a new suit anyone found a good deal?

Thanks

Trev450

3,456 posts

57 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Yes suits need to be FIA approved now.

Shaun_E

692 posts

145 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Yes you will need a new suit. Cheapest will be a little over £200. e.g. http://www.meteormotorsport.com/racewear/racesuits...
Alternatively ebay is usually a good source of 2nd hand suits.

Dan Friel

1,070 posts

163 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
As above, check eBay for bargains. I recently bought an unused AWS suit (to current FIA regs) for a little over £100. The original sale ticket was still on it..

Fantuzzi

3,204 posts

31 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Shaun_E said:
Yes you will need a new suit. Cheapest will be a little over £200. e.g. http://www.meteormotorsport.com/racewear/racesuits...
Alternatively ebay is usually a good source of 2nd hand suits.
Im guessing from their username, they will fo with the 2nd hand option...
Advertisement

gtijohn70

13 posts

32 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Why not go direct racelidz on www.plays-kool.co.uk, I've seen their 3 layer suit which is to Fia 8856-2000 standard..... and they're not bad at all for the money.

Shoestringracer

Original Poster:

970 posts

84 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Fantuzzi said:
Im guessing from their username, they will fo with the 2nd hand option...
As it happens I'm thinking of changing my username as "Shoestring" is missleading but I don't think "Spends money as required just chose a fairly economic form of motorsport and a farily cheap to look after car as I have several other expensive hobbies racer" would fit! The shoestring part came from my website where I was proving that motorsport neededent be ruinous by keeping a tally of cost. It was also useful for the angle I was taking with magazine articals I was writing at the time which were focused on grassroot sport. As far as the suit goes I will definately buy new as it is just so much easier and for a couple of hundred quid I can't see the point in trawing ebay.


Also second hand clothing... bit yuck.

Fantuzzi

3,204 posts

31 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Shoestringracer said:
As it happens I'm thinking of changing my username as "Shoestring" is missleading but I don't think "Spends money as required just chose a fairly economic form of motorsport and a farily cheap to look after car as I have several other expensive hobbies racer" would fit! The shoestring part came from my website where I was proving that motorsport neededent be ruinous by keeping a tally of cost. It was also useful for the angle I was taking with magazine articals I was writing at the time which were focused on grassroot sport. As far as the suit goes I will definately buy new as it is just so much easier and for a couple of hundred quid I can't see the point in trawing ebay.


Also second hand clothing... bit yuck.
Only joking . Yeah I agree 2nd hand stuff is not for me either.


Fantuzzi

3,204 posts

31 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
http://www.sparcousa.com/pracewear_suits.asp?id=73...

Is this ok?

Ive got the same problem!

Dan Friel

1,070 posts

163 months

[news] 
Wednesday 14th March 2012 quote quote all
Suits have to be "FIA 8856-2000 or FIA 1986".

gidzmasterflash

32 posts

95 months

[news] 
Wednesday 21st March 2012 quote quote all
2012 Blue book page 162 says:

"Acceptable standards:
9.1.1. Racing:
FIA 8856-2000

9.1.2. Special Stage Rallies, Sprints and Hill Climbs:
FIA 8856-2000
FIA 1986 Standard

9.1.3. Karting:
As defined in U.13.3.

9.1.4. All Other Events (including overalls in
accordance with Q.10.1):
BS6249 part 1 Index A or B (but not part C).
BSEN533
EN533:1995 Index 3
ISO 14116
FIA 8856-2000
FIA 1986 Standard."

I also found that http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/proban.html Proban suits meet BSEN533


So I believe that Proban suits are no longer ok for 2012.

midgetmax

36 posts

91 months

[news] 
Saturday 24th March 2012 quote quote all
Spot on, Proban meets en533 or similar, not FIA 8856-2000. therefore you can't wear Proban suits in hill climbs etc now.

8856-2000 is the latest standard. Norme 86 is an old one, which means you can wear your mate's second hand sweaty romper suit if you want.

Just a warning about wearing old suits. Nomex never loses flame retardancy, but old suits WILL lose their efficiency because:

1. The fibres and layers compact and do not keep heat back as well as they did. Hence they would fail the heat transfer tests and you would scorch even if the suit did not burn through

2. Sweat, oil, dirt, a lifetime of use, can all support flame and/or increase heat transfer

Outwardly, the suits will be fine. I met a guy at Gurston last season who was wearing a Norme 86 suit that we manufactured 25 years ago! But for the reasons above I'd never wear an old suit, and Norme 86 has been out of manufacture for 10 years now, so will be well manky.

Just because it's cheap on eBay doesn't make it a good deal! Steer clear of them, you don't know what people have done, how they've been washed, how they've been looked after, they may have been repaired with nasty nylon thread or anything. Remember that suits aren't just to comply with the regs, they actually have to protect you from fire.

HTH

Max

Edited by Garlick: No ad links please

29james12

16 posts

36 months

[news] 
Thursday 5th April 2012 quote quote all
Correct you cannot use Proban suits anymore. Looks like you are going to have to get a new suit. You might be able to sell the old suit if it is in good condition to get some of the money back

e21Mark

4,266 posts

58 months

[news] 
Thursday 12th April 2012 quote quote all
These guys made me a suit to measure. All for under £150. I had bought a cheaper suit before, from AWS, but it looked like a potato sack which had been tied us in the middle. The Jays suit, despite being a ''budget'' item, looks like many of the more expensive suits and fits really well. I also had to have an alteration done which was unexpectedly done for free and within a few days. I couldn't rate these guys highly enough.

http://www.jaysracewear.co.uk/text/drivers_suits.h...

carl_w

4,800 posts

143 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
e21Mark said:
These guys made me a suit to measure. All for under £150. I had bought a cheaper suit before, from AWS, but it looked like a potato sack which had been tied us in the middle. The Jays suit, despite being a ''budget'' item, looks like many of the more expensive suits and fits really well. I also had to have an alteration done which was unexpectedly done for free and within a few days. I couldn't rate these guys highly enough.

http://www.jaysracewear.co.uk/text/drivers_suits.h...
The cheapest FIA suit on there is >£500. Are you sure you don't have a Proban suit, which was OK last year but is not allowed this year? Wouldn't want you to get to Crystal Palace and be disappointed frown

e21Mark

4,266 posts

58 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
Bugger.

carl_w

4,800 posts

143 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
My dad was in a similar situation and managed to get a "last year's style" Momo one for £200.

e21Mark

4,266 posts

58 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
What use are Proban suits now then?

My problem is that being 6' 3'' and 22 stone no 'off the peg' suits fit me so I imagine I'm gonna get stung.

e21Mark

4,266 posts

58 months

[news] 
Saturday 14th April 2012 quote quote all
These guys have some pre owned suits.

http://www.motorsportracewear.com/contact_us.html

Roadru77er

434 posts

80 months

[news] 
Sunday 15th April 2012 quote quote all

[quote=e21Mark]What use are Proban suits now then?

Can still be used for Autocross (MSA Grass Track Racing) I believe. Or non MSA stuff Autograss Stock Cars Banger etc.
2 3
Reply to Topic