Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 76 77
79 80 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

rhinochopig

17,063 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
TEKNOPUG said:
The characters worked out that it was a military installation and that it was a WMD intended to be sent to Earth............which was a pretty massive leap of imagination on their part, based on the evidence in front of them. Even more so that they should all agree on this and then all their future actions would be determined by this [i]fact[i/]?



Surely it would have been better to leave it with the crew not knowing what it is, which would have been more realistic and made more sense? It would also allow the audience to come up with their own ideas and conclusions. These questions could be later explored and answered in sequels or at least expanded upon. The script is very contrived in it's narration of the story.
But then how would they have justified the crew ramming the spaceship - big SFX finale - the spaceship rolling over blonde girl, and the Engineer impregnation scene. Like I said: like a 2 year old furiously ramming a square peg into a round hole.


The Beaver King

5,011 posts

82 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
garyhun said:
As a matter of interest do we KNOW that it was a military installation? I know they kept saying it was and that the black stuff was a WMD but I'm still questioning that - or did I miss something?
It was implied by the captain, but never resolved.

I guess the fact the black stuff mutated living things and the base had thousands of those canisters kind of pushed that theory.

There is a lot of stuff in the film that is either not answered or they hinted at its purpose and you just have to accept it. There are quite a few:

  • Was the engineering definitely going to Earth to destroy it?
  • What David said to the engineer to cause it to attack?
  • Why the ancient drawings on Earth would direct you to an alien military installation?
  • What killed the engineers?
  • Why did David infect Holloway?
  • Is Vickers an android?
and no doubt more...

It's just occured to me. With regards to the engineers going to destroy Earth and the reasoning behind it, could it be possible the engineers purposely left markings on Earth that lead to the planet so that once humanity reached the techological level required to get there, it was time to 'sterilise the petri dish'?

Assuming it was all just an 'because we can' experiment, they wouldn't want humanity evolving too far that they lost control so they set it all up and used reaching the planet as a benchmark to judge when it was time to kill humanity before it went too far?

Another theory anyway.... rolleyes

Halb

23,509 posts

70 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
The Beaver King said:
It was implied by the captain, but never resolved.
Considering their accuracy rate, if he was right about that, it was the only thing any of the crew were right about.

garyhun

16,394 posts

115 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
Halb said:
The Beaver King said:
It was implied by the captain, but never resolved.
Considering their accuracy rate, if he was right about that, it was the only thing any of the crew were right about.
They sure screwed up that roller-coaster ride too!

chris watton

15,939 posts

147 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
I think the twist must be that the whole crew actually escaped from a mental asylum, and killed the original crew. How else can the dumb actions be explained?
Advertisement

hedgefinder

2,647 posts

57 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
i think the largest jump of belief was arriving at the exact destination on a huge planet and immediately flying over an alien installation, no survey from orbit, nothing..
The rest of the movie is, as others have said a bit of a mess, and if it wasnt just badly edited then it was simply badly written.

Pesty

30,733 posts

143 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
The Beaver King said:
  • Why the ancient drawings on Earth would direct you to an alien military installation?
It's just occured to me. With regards to the engineers going to destroy Earth and the reasoning behind it, could it be possible the engineers purposely left markings on Earth that lead to the planet so that once humanity reached the techological level required to get there, it was time to 'sterilise the petri dish'?

Assuming it was all just an 'because we can' experiment, they wouldn't want humanity evolving too far that they lost control so they set it all up and used reaching the planet as a benchmark to judge when it was time to kill humanity before it went too far?

Another theory anyway.... rolleyes
What did you join the army for navigator to fight sir.

well good news and bad news.

good news you may well get to deliver a WMD

great whats the bad news

well you have to be there for 2 million years on a rock in the middle of nowhere just in case an experiment evolves enough that we need to destroy them

but sir what if they never evolve that far?

DrTre

12,428 posts

119 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
It's a beautiful looking and fantastically realised crock of appallingly written st is what it is.

JonRB

43,627 posts

159 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
hedgefinder said:
i think the largest jump of belief was arriving at the exact destination on a huge planet and immediately flying over an alien installation, no survey from orbit, nothing..
The rest of the movie is, as others have said a bit of a mess, and if it wasnt just badly edited then it was simply badly written.
On that point, an extra 2 mins would have solved that. Just show the Prometheus in orbit with David scanning the surface, and *then* have him wake the crew.

rhinochopig

17,063 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
JonRB said:
hedgefinder said:
i think the largest jump of belief was arriving at the exact destination on a huge planet and immediately flying over an alien installation, no survey from orbit, nothing..
The rest of the movie is, as others have said a bit of a mess, and if it wasnt just badly edited then it was simply badly written.
On that point, an extra 2 mins would have solved that. Just show the Prometheus in orbit with David scanning the surface, and *then* have him wake the crew.
Whilst he was doing that he could have created a better plot and script too.

slartibartfast

3,108 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
The Beaver King said:
  • What David said to the engineer to cause it to attack?
My thoughts are that the engineer realized that David was synthetic and that we had come to such an advanced stage of evolution that WE are now the gods!....and he didn't like the idea of this.

KaraK

11,652 posts

96 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
The Beaver King said:
  • What David said to the engineer to cause it to attack?
That answer and more covered heresmile

slartibartfast

3,108 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
KaraK said:
The Beaver King said:
  • What David said to the engineer to cause it to attack?
That answer and more covered heresmile
funny as fk

Johnny

6,682 posts

171 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
slartibartfast said:
KaraK said:
The Beaver King said:
  • What David said to the engineer to cause it to attack?
That answer and more covered heresmile
funny as fk
Thats's fking quality hehe

DamienB

856 posts

106 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
This one's much, much better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFYmv6t_Xyg

JonRB

43,627 posts

159 months

[news] 
Wednesday 26th September 2012 quote quote all
KaraK said:
That answer and more covered heresmile
Usually HISHE is brilliant, but that one seemed a little weak.

KaraK

11,652 posts

96 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
JonRB said:
KaraK said:
That answer and more covered heresmile
Usually HISHE is brilliant, but that one seemed a little weak.
Agreed it's not their best it just seemed pertinent smile

If you haven't seen it yet the Terminator one is fantastic thumbup

Pesty

30,733 posts

143 months

JonRB

43,627 posts

159 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
KaraK said:
If you haven't seen it yet the Terminator one is fantastic thumbup
Oh yes totally. That one is brilliant. As is the Iron Man one when he is talking to Superman and Batman in the diner. hehe

im

Original Poster:

34,302 posts

104 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
DamienB said:
This one's much, much better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFYmv6t_Xyg
Didn't I post that weeks ago???

1 2 ... 76 77
79 80 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic