Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 80 81
83 84 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

SWoll

5,038 posts

144 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
yes

It just smacks of people desperately grasping at straws, which to a degree I can understand. As I say i wanted to love it, but it just left me annoyed TBH.

What a wasted opportunity.

Guvernator

3,464 posts

51 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Apart from the lame script, the crap acting, the improbable coincidences, the rolling ship (what EXACTLY is that ship made of anyway, rubber?) the thing that disappointed me most was that the whole premise of the plot was that they were traveling halfway across the galaxy to try to find answers to some really important questions.

However once they got there, all this setup is thrown out the window. None of the interesting questions\premises go anywhere, the motives of the Aliens are still just as ambiguous after 2 hours as they were at the beginning of the film. It's almost as if the creators thought up this great concept and then the producers decided that it was all too high brow to make money so they decided to turn it into Friday the 13th in space to appeal to popcorn munching morons.

Bill Carr

2,234 posts

120 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Guvernator said:
the thing that disappointed me most was that the whole premise of the plot was that they were traveling halfway across the galaxy to try to find answers to some really important questions.

However once they got there, all this setup is thrown out the window. None of the interesting questions\premises go anywhere, the motives of the Aliens are still just as ambiguous after 2 hours as they were at the beginning of the film.
Exactly! The premise implies the film is going to be some profound journey, but what follows is about as profound as a wet fart. It's just an excuse for some mid-level gore, some fighting and explosions. If they were going down that route they could have at least had the decency to put some tits in it.

Bedazzled

8,033 posts

107 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Finally got to see this on DVD. I thought it was visually amazing and I quite enjoyed it as a standalone popcorn movie, but I made the mistake of thinking about the plot and it's a bit of a mess. It looked like chunks of the story had been edited out here and there, and some of the crew's behaviour was inexplicable. The aliens reminded me of Evolution in places, except it wasn't funny. I quite liked the basic idea of the story, but it created loads of unanswered questions and the end was a bit naff. Anyhow it was good fun, 6/10.

Oakey

16,663 posts

102 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Bill Carr said:
SWoll, I agree with you entirely (including your footnote) And with JonRB's earlier post.

I'm not happy I found "plot holes", I'm pissed off that a movie I'd been eagerly anticipating was a dud.

A number of poster's have implied that there's some sort of hidden meaning in this film and you have to look beyond the obvious to seek explanation. I believe that argument is fatuous and an attempt to make them look clever. There is no deeper meaning at work here. There is no subtly, no allegory. It's just poorly written, period.
If you have to seek out external sources outside of the film to find answers, ie interviews with the Scott and Lindeloff, then the film has failed.

Also, the marketing campaign for the Blu-Ray is literally "Questions Will Be Answered"
Advertisement

The Hypno-Toad

8,011 posts

91 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Hear that noise? Its the sound of every geek on the planets head exploding...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/22925/has-the-prom...

SWoll

5,038 posts

144 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
The Hypno-Toad said:
Hear that noise? Its the sound of every geek on the planets head exploding...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/22925/has-the-prom...
rofl

Talk about desperate. Ridley should be ashamed of himself descending to lazy viral marketing like this in an attempt to genreate some sort of greatness by association.

BR is one of the finest SF movies ever made, why sully it's memory by linking it in any way with the turd that is Prometheus FFS?


Just another reason to dislike it I suppose.

fuelracer496

1,494 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
I saw it at the cinema and picked up the 9 disc set yesterday, of course my opinion might be wrong, but I thought it was excellent overall. I didn't expect it to be a direct Alien prequel, and it isn't. There's 30 odd years between the end of Prometheus and the first Alien film. Plot holes are fun to find, and all the science that proves it's wrong, is probably valid, but I don't watch films to pick fault with them (I couldn't do any better).

There's probably another film or 2 needed to bring things 'upto date' as it were to get to Alien as we know it, but I don't mind that. From a technical stand point, the picture quality, sound quality and overall package on the 3D Blu-ray is utterly superb. The opening 10 minutes are top notch demo material to show off the beauty of the Blu-ray format.

I guess it's one of those marmite films, a bit like Inception, where 50% of people enjoy it, and 50% think it's a stupid film trying to be clever. I think the sequel to Prometheus will be critical to bridging the gap, and filling in 30 years of Xenomorph evolution, but that is probably what folks expected Prometheus to do in the first place.

SWoll

5,038 posts

144 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
fuelracer496 said:
I saw it at the cinema and picked up the 9 disc set yesterday, of course my opinion might be wrong, but I thought it was excellent overall. I didn't expect it to be a direct Alien prequel, and it isn't. There's 30 odd years between the end of Prometheus and the first Alien film. Plot holes are fun to find, and all the science that proves it's wrong, is probably valid, but I don't watch films to pick fault with them (I couldn't do any better).

There's probably another film or 2 needed to bring things 'upto date' as it were to get to Alien as we know it, but I don't mind that. From a technical stand point, the picture quality, sound quality and overall package on the 3D Blu-ray is utterly superb. The opening 10 minutes are top notch demo material to show off the beauty of the Blu-ray format.

I guess it's one of those marmite films, a bit like Inception, where 50% of people enjoy it, and 50% think it's a stupid film trying to be clever. I think the sequel to Prometheus will be critical to bridging the gap, and filling in 30 years of Xenomorph evolution, but that is probably what folks expected Prometheus to do in the first place.
The difference with Inception IMHO is that 50% of people liked the concept/story and 50% of people didn't. I don't think the quality of the cast, script, direction or acting was ever the problem with that movie in anyones eyes, unlike Prometheus.

I would agree that Prometheus is technically excellent and I imagine will look lovely on BR. A shame that everything else was so awful.

Of course you have your own opinion on the film and enjoyed it and I'm happy for you. Just don't assume that a lot of people didn't because of unrealistic expectations or a lack of thought.

P.S 9 Discs? WTF?

arfur

2,895 posts

100 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Watched this on BR last night ...

A bit swiss cheese, but an entertaining movie all the same to watch at home ...

The last two deleted scenes on the BR should have been in the movie


fuelracer496

1,494 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
There's a 9 disc set available, which includes all the previous Alien films, plus a 3D & 2D disc for Prometheus, some postcards, poster, tshirt (geek on!). I got it as I didn't get round to buying the Quadrilogy when that was released.


Edited by fuelracer496 on Tuesday 9th October 12:33

garyhun

16,392 posts

114 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
So after 21 pages .... IS it a prequel to Alien? The engineer's ship at the end - same one from Alien or another film needed for that with an engineer with ruptured rib cage?

Confused of Dorset!

Halb

23,508 posts

69 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
I do think Prometheus looks fantastic, like a beautifully garnished cak sandwich.
Shiny and luscious, glistening with promise and inducing the taste buds to excrete saliva at at hosepipe rate, and then you prize your jaws wide, chomp down with all your might and the foetid brown liquid bile explodes in your mouth and dribbles down your chin and the stench engulfs your senses and you wretch spasmodically all over everyone.

smile

JonRB

43,606 posts

158 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Halb said:
I do think Prometheus looks fantastic, like a beautifully garnished cak sandwich.
Shiny and luscious, glistening with promise and inducing the taste buds to excrete saliva at at hosepipe rate, and then you prize your jaws wide, chomp down with all your might and the foetid brown liquid bile explodes in your mouth and dribbles down your chin and the stench engulfs your senses and you wretch spasmodically all over everyone.

smile


"God darnit, Mr. Halb, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whcensorede"

wink

funkyrobot

8,544 posts

114 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Could someone spoiler tag a quick description of the deleted scenes? smile

Bedazzled

8,033 posts

107 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
No amount of deleted scenes will make up for "awww, look at the little alien snake thingy, it's so beautiful, come on little 'un... coochie-coochie-coo... oops... yikes... aaaargh!"

Still enjoyed it though smile

Oakey

16,663 posts

102 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
garyhun said:
So after 21 pages .... IS it a prequel to Alien? The engineer's ship at the end - same one from Alien or another film needed for that with an engineer with ruptured rib cage?

Confused of Dorset!
I was going to say, after all the protesting from Scott that this wasn't really a prequel to the Alien films they release a boxset that includes those films? And then when Prometheus 2 comes out you can buy the new new box set.

TonyHetherington

31,843 posts

136 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
garyhun said:
So after 21 pages .... IS it a prequel to Alien? The engineer's ship at the end - same one from Alien or another film needed for that with an engineer with ruptured rib cage?
The final 'crash' site IS the one from Aliens. With the engineer with the ruptured rib cage. However, it looks slightly different but it's the same setup exactly.

However, it's absolutely NOT a prequel to Alien. However it involves all the exact same creatures, and the blu-ray disc comes bundled with the Alien triology. And it's by the same bloke. But it most definitely is NOT a prequel to Alien. Oh and the titles come up the same at the beginning too.

Hope it's cleared that up biggrin

garyhun

16,392 posts

114 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
TonyHetherington said:
garyhun said:
So after 21 pages .... IS it a prequel to Alien? The engineer's ship at the end - same one from Alien or another film needed for that with an engineer with ruptured rib cage?
The final 'crash' site IS the one from Aliens. With the engineer with the ruptured rib cage. However, it looks slightly different but it's the same setup exactly.

However, it's absolutely NOT a prequel to Alien. However it involves all the exact same creatures, and the blu-ray disc comes bundled with the Alien triology. And it's by the same bloke. But it most definitely is NOT a prequel to Alien. Oh and the titles come up the same at the beginning too.

Hope it's cleared that up biggrin
Clear as mud. So if the engineer at the end of Prometheus, the one who attacks bimbo spacelady, was the one flying the ship that crashes, surely that leaves no-one in the pilot seat for an alien to erupt from?

I need to sit down!

TonyHetherington

31,843 posts

136 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
It was at the cinema I saw it, not recently, but I think the alien could still come from the engineer that crashed the space ship at the end?

My memory is fuzzy on this - but anything that ended up in the human ship at the end, that didn't come out of the engineer did it?!
1 2 ... 80 81
83 84 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic