Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 81 82
84 85 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

im

Original Poster:

34,302 posts

100 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
The surrounding topography of the 2 crashed ships is entirely different.

garyhun

15,843 posts

111 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
im said:
The surrounding topography of the 2 crashed ships is entirely different.
Very true. I hope these things do get answered in PM2.

arfur

2,870 posts

97 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
TonyHetherington said:
It was at the cinema I saw it, not recently, but I think the alien could still come from the engineer that crashed the space ship at the end?

My memory is fuzzy on this - but anything that ended up in the human ship at the end, that didn't come out of the engineer did it?!
On the BR disc I watched last night the Engineer does indeed explode at the end and an alien that looks very very very much like "Alien" pops out ... Roll credits

TonyHetherington

31,784 posts

133 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
im said:
The surrounding topography of the 2 crashed ships is entirely different.
I assumed that was because it was many years later?

Northern Munkee

4,165 posts

83 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Well if the extras on BR disc are not just a clever promo tool there's a memo from Weyland suggesting they scanned the system before setting off, were keeping quiet about a "signal" coming from a different moon in the system called LV426, and not mentioning it to Shaw.

Have to say I missed it at the cinema, and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it compared to the disappointment (after all the hype) about the cinema release.

And I hope the do a PM2. Thought fassbender stole the show. Did a perfect job creating a character that could have been the walking talking embodiment of HAL9000, with nods to Spielberg's AI but much better, and cleverly coloured with a robot's Peter OToole TE Lawrence impression. Idris Elbe was a bit weak, indeed everyone else incomparison to a degree.
Advertisement

im

Original Poster:

34,302 posts

100 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
TonyHetherington said:
im said:
The surrounding topography of the 2 crashed ships is entirely different.
I assumed that was because it was many years later?
its been well documented in this thread many times that they are 2 different planets...426 and 233.

I think people are just looking for some kinda conspiracy theory here.

rasto

1,408 posts

120 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Loving the comments that Damon Lindelhof is retweeting at the moment smile Shortly after the cinema release he got loads of (rightly deserved imho) abuse. With the DVD release, the abuse is back. He seems to take it all okay, hopefully it will make him think a bit more with his next script.

Guvernator

3,388 posts

48 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
What purpose did Charlize Theron's character actually serve? Apart from doing push-ups in her undies and getting squished in what must be one of the most unintentionally funny scenes in a movie ever, (a rolling ship I ask you rofl)

The captain who makes wild leaps of logic

The intelligent scientist who runs the hovering laser "rovers" which map out the entire site who then bizarrely gets lost.

The other intelligent scientist who moments before wanted to go back to the ship as he was too scared but then bizarrely decides to play koochi-koo with an obviously vicious snake like alien.

The crew members who decide to "do the right thing" with no more fuss or drama then as if they were deciding whether to order pizza or Indian take-away. When the time comes, I hope I'm as blaize as these cool-as-a-cucumber customers.

As the poster above rightly said, the only person who comes out of it with any dignity at all is Fassbender.

JonRB

42,409 posts

155 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Guvernator said:
What purpose did Charlize Theron's character actually serve? Apart from doing push-ups in her undies and getting squished in what must be one of the most unintentionally funny scenes in a movie ever, (a rolling ship I ask you rofl)

The captain who makes wild leaps of logic

The intelligent scientist who runs the hovering laser "rovers" which map out the entire site who then bizarrely gets lost.

The other intelligent scientist who moments before wanted to go back to the ship as he was too scared but then bizarrely decides to play koochi-koo with an obviously vicious snake like alien.

The crew members who decide to "do the right thing" with no more fuss or drama then as if they were deciding whether to order pizza or Indian take-away. When the time comes, I hope I'm as blaize as these cool-as-a-cucumber customers.

As the poster above rightly said, the only person who comes out of it with any dignity at all is Fassbender.
Don't forget the scientist whose rigorous proof for her theory is "because I choose to believe it".

DrTre

12,428 posts

115 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Stop embiggening yourselves.

rasto

1,408 posts

120 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
JonRB said:
Don't forget the scientist whose rigorous proof for her theory is "because I choose to believe it".
Plenty of 'scientists' like that *cough* mmgw *cough* wink

otolith

24,920 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
To be fair, none of the films of the Alien franchise stand up to the sort of concentrated geekery that had damned Prometheus. Scott should have just cooked up some hokum involving running and screaming and a "surprise" twist at the end where the Alien has not been disposed of and needs to be ejected via an airlock (or broken window).

MysteryLemon

4,188 posts

74 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
otolith said:
To be fair, none of the films of the Alien franchise stand up to the sort of concentrated geekery that had damned Prometheus. Scott should have just cooked up some hokum involving running and screaming and a "surprise" twist at the end where the Alien has not been disposed of and needs to be ejected via an airlock (or broken window).
Have to agree. Prometheus is no more flawed than any of the other Alien films. They all have silly holes in the plot that make no sense or that are totally unrealistic.

SWoll

4,899 posts

141 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
So the latest argument is that the original movies were no better?

Whilst I will agree that Alien shows it's age a little it is still full of genuine tension and is well acted/written throughout.

Aliens is a fantastic 80's action flick full of excitement and great one liners from the cast.

Prometheus has none of the above going for it, and also thinks it's being profound in some way.

bigrich4

598 posts

40 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
I bought the 3D Blu-Ray version and watched it last night and then straight after I watched the deleted/alternate scenes which made the film make a lot more sense... anyone else found the same?

Halb

23,106 posts

66 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Have to disagree, Prometheus is far more stupid than Alien or Aliens, and makes too many mistakes, that's what pisses people off. If either of the first two films had been as bad, then they could not be viewed many times over. When the internal logic of a film has too many failures, repeat viewings drop.

otolith

24,920 posts

87 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
You're looking at the old films through rose-tinted glasses. I like them, I bought the box set, but if you subject them to this degree of scrutiny they crumble too.

MiniMan64

9,061 posts

73 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
So what ARE all these mistakes in the original films?

Halb

23,106 posts

66 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
otolith said:
You're looking at the old films through rose-tinted glasses. I like them, I bought the box set, but if you subject them to this degree of scrutiny they crumble too.
You are incorrect that I look at them in rose tinted glasses.
I view them on and off, and it is not through the nostalgia of youth. The mistakes of the later ones, make repeat viewings less frequent, but still doable on occasion.
I shall watch Prometheus again, for the visuals. Not sure at this point if it would stand up to a third viewing, but it's possible.

Edited by Halb on Tuesday 9th October 19:07

vescaegg

3,352 posts

50 months

[news] 
Tuesday 9th October 2012 quote quote all
Despite being dissapointed I don't think I was a much as some people on here... I did try and not hype it up too much though as I knew it couldn't live up to my own hype!

I wonder how much abuse the original films would have gotten if the Internet existed.....
1 2 ... 81 82
84 85 ... 118 119
Reply to Topic