Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 6 7
9 10 ... 48 49
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Halb

23,489 posts

69 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Bullett said:
Which makes no sense.

Brody didn't know (or claimed not to know) Tom was alive so how was he actually supposed to be working as a team with him? So either he did know and they(writers) decided to make it 'secret' or he didn't. And in which case how was he going to get past security? And how did his daughter contact him? not his own mobile but on a secret service guys one, did she google "vp secret bunker" phone number? Another question, when the woman got shot would the not bullet have passed through and on into the VP?

On the same Tom issue, he claims not to know he's alive but finds him in about 30's when he needs the memory card back - how did he know walker was the contact, was he, could have been anyone else.
He obviously knew he had a partner, and didn't know it was his old partner.
I did think that the mobile wouldn't work in the underground roombiggrin

Grant76

1,339 posts

91 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
And how did his daughter contact him? not his own mobile but on a secret service guys one, did she google "vp secret bunker" phone number?

Carrie dialled the number on her phone & passed it to the daughter telling her "this will get you through to the Secret Service"

marcosgt

7,584 posts

62 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Halb said:
marcosgt said:
I bet you love Jason Statham movies too?
confused No, I cannot stand them, a rather ignorant leap of deduction.

I do love Braquo very much though.
My, how people love to call names on PH...

I just meant that scene seemed out of character and rather vengeance based, almost as if to elicit that kind of response.

Glad you enjoy Braquo . Quality stuff.

M

Oakey

16,646 posts

102 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Halb said:
I like it because it's not so clear cut as good guy/bad guy silliness. It's more murky and shades of grey like real life political situations.
If you want one dimensional heroes and villains there are plenty of other things out there to suit.
How is it 'one dimensional' to establish a characters intentions earlier than the final episode? They didn't wait until the last episode to establish Carrie had mental health issues, did they?

Bearing in mind that we saw every facet of every other characters life, to not show the parts where Brody is obviously planning to do something is just weak story telling.

Edited by Oakey on Monday 7th May 22:02

Halb

23,489 posts

69 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
marcosgt said:
My, how people love to call names on PH...
I just meant that scene seemed out of character and rather vengeance based, almost as if to elicit that kind of response.
Glad you enjoy Braquo . Quality stuff.
M
My, more accurate is how some like to project and assume on PH. I have not called you a name but stated a fact, you very mistakenly assumed something about me because I guess you see JS films in a certain light. Well so do I and it ticked me off! So don't assume in future.
And I didn't like it because I don't like one dimensional stuff like JS does...save for the 80s classic when people like AhNold did them. He had charisma.biggrin

Yes it is, imo the second best show of last year and most likely this year as well.

Edited by Halb on Monday 7th May 22:54

Advertisement

Halb

23,489 posts

69 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Oakey said:
How is it 'one dimensional' to establish a characters intentions earlier than the final episode? They didn't wait until the last episode to establish Carrie had mental health issues, did they?
Bearing in mind that we saw every facet of every other characters life, to not show the parts where Brody is obviously planning to do something is just weak story telling.
Edited by Oakey on Monday 7th May 22:02
They established the intentions of Brody before the final episode, and we knew Carrie needed pills for her condition before the final episode. So it is not one dimensional for both these things. Not sure what you are saying?


Anyone catch the clever Jag advert change just for Homeland?

Oakey

16,646 posts

102 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Okay, so in the episode before the finale they showed him with the vest but until then we didn't know anything other than him running for congress.

We seemed to go from Brody agreeing to run for congress to agreeing to be a suicide bomber and then going to pick up the bomb vest.

It seemed whilst they were happy to show us trivial parts of Brody's life, like getting the huff his mate had been banging his wife (for about 6 episodes no less), they just decided to omit the parts where he was plotting to blow himself up.

Bear in mind that prior to all this, Brody was given the option by the terrorists to run for congress so their plan seemed to hinge on him agreeing to that or not.

It'd have made more sense if running for congress had been the plan all along and the bomb not going off was a test to see if he was actually committed to the cause.

Halb

23,489 posts

69 months

[news] 
Monday 7th May 2012 quote quote all
Oakey said:
Okay, so in the episode before the finale they showed him with the vest but until then we didn't know anything other than him running for congress.
We seemed to go from Brody agreeing to run for congress to agreeing to be a suicide bomber and then going to pick up the bomb vest.
It seemed whilst they were happy to show us trivial parts of Brody's life, like getting the huff his mate had been banging his wife (for about 6 episodes no less), they just decided to omit the parts where he was plotting to blow himself up.
Bear in mind that prior to all this, Brody was given the option by the terrorists to run for congress so their plan seemed to hinge on him agreeing to that or not.
If they showed us the bits that reveal he was a terrorist it wouldn't be a 'is he/isn't he' type programme then, which it is. It would just be a regular run of the mill programme. Like a whodunnit revealing the killer at the beginning.
The stages at which they revealed things was clever because it flipflopped the character convincingly.
I cannot recall though that the congress thing was a late change. The VP was the real target, so I suppose they could have gone for a blowup type thing sooner if the congress thing hadn't come about.

Nyphur

3,103 posts

74 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
I too felt a bit let down by the series. Just a real lackluster ending....

ETA - Also one thing I really don't understand...

Walker uses his sniper rifle to cause mayhem, and get everyone (inc Brodie) rushed through security. He does this by shooting the woman who is stood directly infont of the VP. The bullet kills the woman, and presumably exits, as the VP gets covered in a large volume of blood erupting from her chest. Yet the VP is unharmed. How?



Edited by Nyphur on Tuesday 8th May 20:15

Oakey

16,646 posts

102 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
Through the magic of television

Thunderstruck80

108 posts

37 months

[news] 
Tuesday 8th May 2012 quote quote all
Witchcraft?

marcosgt

7,584 posts

62 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
Oakey said:
Okay, so in the episode before the finale they showed him with the vest but until then we didn't know anything other than him running for congress.

We seemed to go from Brody agreeing to run for congress to agreeing to be a suicide bomber and then going to pick up the bomb vest.

It seemed whilst they were happy to show us trivial parts of Brody's life, like getting the huff his mate had been banging his wife (for about 6 episodes no less), they just decided to omit the parts where he was plotting to blow himself up.
Mmmm - I don't see that - It was pretty obvious that he held the VP responsible for the death of the young boy and that his objective was to extract revenge for that.

Running for Congress was just a factor of his popularity (quite realistically) as a returned prisoner (important too, to remember this borrows, at least, from an Israeli series where freed prisoners are seen as near super-heroes, but Americans have a 'returned prisoner' thing as seen after the Vietnam war) and enabled him to get access to the people (not just the VP) responsible for death of the children.

M

Bullett

5,260 posts

70 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
marcosgt said:
Mmmm - I don't see that - It was pretty obvious that he held the VP responsible for the death of the young boy and that his objective was to extract revenge for that.
I disagree with this. He didn't know the VP ordered the drone attack(we only find out right at the end), just it was a US attack the order could have been at any level.

Halb

23,489 posts

69 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
Bullett said:
I disagree with this. He didn't know the VP ordered the drone attack(we only find out right at the end), just it was a US attack the order could have been at any level.
The head terrorist knew didn't he?

LordGrover

22,638 posts

98 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
The VP made the 'Broadcast to the Nation' speech blaming terrorists IIRC.

Turbodiesel1690

1,618 posts

56 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
Saul in this looks a lot like Gerry Adams shoot

Series finale was mediocre, I'll probably still watch the next series though

davepoth

23,315 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
Halb said:
The head terrorist knew didn't he?
I think he must have, presumably through his CIA mole.

Prawo Jazdy

4,356 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
What about... the Arabic Saul spoke to the prison guard that committed suicide. It wasn't translated. Were we supposed to read anything into that? Also, Estes asked that younger CIA guy to spy on Carrie or something, and that storyline never popped up again. I can't really remember what was said.

davepoth

23,315 posts

85 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
Prawo Jazdy said:
What about... the Arabic Saul spoke to the prison guard that committed suicide. It wasn't translated. Were we supposed to read anything into that? Also, Estes asked that younger CIA guy to spy on Carrie or something, and that storyline never popped up again. I can't really remember what was said.
I'm pretty sure that was Hebrew.

Prawo Jazdy

4,356 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 9th May 2012 quote quote all
davepoth said:
Prawo Jazdy said:
What about... the Arabic Saul spoke to the prison guard that committed suicide. It wasn't translated. Were we supposed to read anything into that? Also, Estes asked that younger CIA guy to spy on Carrie or something, and that storyline never popped up again. I can't really remember what was said.
I'm pretty sure that was Hebrew.
Oh. Well, I still didn't understand it! Is it more or less important to the plot given it was Hebrew?

1 2 ... 6 7
9 10 ... 48 49
Reply to Topic