Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 10 11
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

UF

Original Poster:

7,018 posts

68 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
linky

"A teenager has had emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen

The 18-year-old is reported to have become breathless and developed severe stomach pain before being taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

Officers say she would have died if doctors had not performed the operation."



IanCormac

1,768 posts

78 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Now that is one cold and refreshing drink.

thinfourth2

30,148 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Okay as someone who has worked with liquid nitrogen could someone please exlpain how you can get liquid N2 into a cocktail without the N2 gassing off and basically exploding

s3fella

7,987 posts

72 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Can only guess she must have grabbed it and just necked it all down.

Sounds a bit of a stupid thing to drink, though tbh.

SystemParanoia

9,696 posts

83 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
or she grabbed the wrong receptacle and drank the nitrogen instead of the cocktail lol
Advertisement

Jasandjules

51,022 posts

114 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
thinfourth2 said:
Okay as someone who has worked with liquid nitrogen could someone please exlpain how you can get liquid N2 into a cocktail without the N2 gassing off and basically exploding
I just wondering that. Only got to within 10ft of it at College for fairly obvious reasons the lecturer wasn't letting us closer..

SystemParanoia

9,696 posts

83 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
wouldn't dry ice make more sense to put into drinks?

ETA :

"liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue."

FPMSL! eeerm no its not.. we breath it all day every day lmao!

Apache

38,850 posts

169 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
N2 would have boiled off pretty rapidly judging by the size of the glass......I'm guessing there were some dodgy chemicals like methanol involved

Ozzie Osmond

16,140 posts

131 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Domestic fridge +4C

Domestic freezer -17C (Ice cubes will stick to your fingers)

Frozen food warehouse -24C (Your hands will stick to anything you touch. Do not remove gloves.)

Dry ice, or solid carbon dioxide -80C (Handle with extreme care. Freeze burns are easy.)

Liquid nitrogen -200C. (Keep well away.)


Someone should almost certainly go to jail over this ridiculousness.

jet_noise

1,533 posts

67 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Dear SP,

SystemParanoia said:
wouldn't dry ice make more sense to put into drinks?
In the US in the '80s this was common at student parties. It may still be but I am now old.
Somewhere I have a picture of be-mulleted Jet-of-his-time drinking from a glass of something (very) cold with a foggy trail spilling from the glass smile

regards,
Jet

SystemParanoia

9,696 posts

83 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
haha cool..

just looking at youtube vids of people dropping huge blocks of dry ice into swimming pools now biggrin

spats

445 posts

40 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
Frozen food warehouse -24C (Your hands will stick to anything you touch. Do not remove gloves.)


Someone should almost certainly go to jail over this ridiculousness.
Sorry for the pedant mode, but thats not quite right there. I used to run a Frozen food warehouse and I could happily work in there in a tshirt and no gloves for short periods. I did not stick to everything I touched and that ran at -30C at minimum.

Certainly if your skin was wet and you touched a metal bar you could stick to it as the moisture froze, but that didnt happen in the 3 years I was there.

Someone made a cockup with that drink and they need to find out what actually happened or ban the use of liquid nitrogen in bars. They use liquid nitrogen to burn off warts and it hurts like hell. She must have had that pain in her stomach, which must have stung somewhat!

UF

Original Poster:

7,018 posts

68 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Apache said:
N2 would have boiled off pretty rapidly judging by the size of the glass......I'm guessing there were some dodgy chemicals like methanol involved
Who knows? It was probably a lad on bugger all wages working part-time in a Student bar not a chemist

Adrian W

9,297 posts

113 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
How could anyone be so stupid..........ahh 18 year old

turbobloke

61,777 posts

145 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
When somebody's brain is missing something or in neutral or judgement is impaired by alcohol, they do stupid things including potentially fatal things and this is one of them. Reading the article I had some sympathy but the overriding feeling had more to do with Darwin. Faced at her age with an offer of a drink with liquid nitrogen freshly poured into it, I might have died but only from laughing at the fkwit expecting me to drink from it. Maybe our edookashun differs a lot. At a guess the bar monkeys doing this have forgetten about the insulating properties of nitrogen gas and never heard of latent heat of vapourisation, not to mention the expansion by volume that occurs on vapourisation. I reckon the whole lot are still mysteries, given that knowing anything is uncool, so the risk remains and there will probably be a repeat incident somewhere before long.

KrazyIvan

2,598 posts

60 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
SystemParanoia said:
"liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue."

FPMSL! eeerm no its not.. we breath it all day every day lmao!
Not in liquid form we don't.......

car crazy

1,796 posts

48 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
The pub in Lancaster puts it in its drinks so they give off smoke like dry ice, he must have put to much in.
She's still guilty of Darwinism though

mrmr96

13,620 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
SystemParanoia said:
"liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemicalsubstance. It destroys human tissue."

FPMSL! eeerm no its not.. we breath it all day every day lmao!
Nitrogen is fine. Liquid Nitrogen is not - it WILL destroy human tissue. Not because it's Nitrogen, but because it's cold. Slightly sloppy journalism though, yes.

turbobloke

61,777 posts

145 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
KrazyIvan said:
SystemParanoia said:
"liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue."

FPMSL! eeerm no its not.. we breath it all day every day lmao!
Not in liquid form we don't.......
True but it's not toxic in the normal sense, it does damage by freezing and so killing tissue, and by rapid expansion on forming some gas so perforation can occur.

mrmr96

13,620 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
turbobloke said:
Faced at her age with an offer of a drink with liquid nitrogen freshly poured into it, I might have died but only from laughing at the fkwit expecting me to drink from it.
Not everyone knows the dangerous of a substance like this - so if the barman/her mates told her it was safe then her error was only in being too trusting.
2 3 ... 10 11
Reply to Topic