Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 39 40
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Breadvan72

Original Poster:

21,213 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/08/gay-mar...

Lord Carey
Hates all fairies
So he says
Stuff that's scary

E J Thribb 17 3/4

Marf

22,907 posts

137 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Irrelevant old fart is irrelevant.

Breadvan72

Original Poster:

21,213 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Oops, my bad, meant Godwin, typed Goodwin.

dazren

22,521 posts

157 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Breadvan72 said:
Oops, my bad, meant Godwin, typed Goodwin.
sorted.

Breadvan72

Original Poster:

21,213 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
thankage
Advertisement

Eric Mc

81,615 posts

161 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Fred?

Justayellowbadge

35,085 posts

138 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Loving the suggestion that the right to gay marriage is, in fact, a restriction of freedom.

Idiot.

Marf

22,907 posts

137 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Justayellowbadge said:
Loving the suggestion that the right to gay marriage is, in fact, a restriction of freedom.

Idiot.
Trying to apply logic to the religious is like trying to collect water in a colander. Frustrating and pointless.

shakotan

7,515 posts

92 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Religion has no place in Government.

Marf

22,907 posts

137 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
shakotan said:
Religion has no place in the world.
EFA

IainT

9,653 posts

134 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Had to explain Godwin's law to SWMBO last night after she read out his foolish comments.

Still, it's nice of the pointless old never-was to concede the argument before it really got going.

Breadvan72

Original Poster:

21,213 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
The Archbigot wishes to enhance the freedom to be ignorant and fearful by reference to the arbitrary rulings of his imaginary friend.

MycroftWard

3,011 posts

109 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Marf said:
Trying to apply logic to the religious is like trying to collect water in a colander. Frustrating and pointless.
Hear hear.

otolith

28,883 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Because disagreeing with a religious viewpoint is a more Nazi-esque thing to do that trying to restrict the civil rights of gay people?

Another example of why Lords reform is needed.

Digga

15,058 posts

179 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Marf said:
Justayellowbadge said:
Loving the suggestion that the right to gay marriage is, in fact, a restriction of freedom.

Idiot.
Trying to apply logic to the religious is like trying to collect water in a colander. Frustrating and pointless.
TBH I don't quite follow why a gay couple would want a 'marraige' when they already (quite rightly) have the option of civil partnerships.

Surely the established religions are generally homophobes and, I guess, will remain so for some time, so why the desire to be a part of that crap?

Mr E

16,346 posts

155 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Except the quote that's been reported (and repeated here) is not quite the same when the full quote is considered in context.




[Lord Carey] rejected suggestions that the true “bigots” were those who advocated gay marriage and would not listen to legitimate concerns of religious groups who disagreed.

“Let’s have a sensible debate about this, not call people names,” he said. “Let’s remember that the Jews in Nazi Germany, what started it all against them was when they started being called names. That was the first stage towards that totalitarian state.”




Discussed here;
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscienc...

otolith

28,883 posts

100 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Digga said:
TBH I don't quite follow why a gay couple would want a 'marraige' when they already (quite rightly) have the option of civil partnerships.
Same reason, presumably, why a black person would want to sit at the front of the bus when there are perfectly good seats at the back.

Breadvan72

Original Poster:

21,213 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Still pretty Godwintastic, though.

Digga

15,058 posts

179 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
otolith said:
Digga said:
TBH I don't quite follow why a gay couple would want a 'marraige' when they already (quite rightly) have the option of civil partnerships.
Same reason, presumably, why a black person would want to sit at the front of the bus when there are perfectly good seats at the back.
But why in a church when religion is so openly homophobic? For the purpose of disambiguation I am not saying they shouldn't, more that I'm a little surprised many would wish to.

djstevec

2,696 posts

70 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Digga said:
otolith said:
Digga said:
TBH I don't quite follow why a gay couple would want a 'marraige' when they already (quite rightly) have the option of civil partnerships.
Same reason, presumably, why a black person would want to sit at the front of the bus when there are perfectly good seats at the back.
But why in a church when religion is so openly homophobic? For the purpose of disambiguation I am not saying they shouldn't, more that I'm a little surprised many would wish to.
The current proposal is for civil marriage of homosexuals only - Council buildings, registrar offices etc. nothing at all to do with the Church.
2 3 ... 39 40
Reply to Topic