Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

JonRB

41,508 posts

152 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Well, I for one am looking forward to putting "Joint Winner of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize" on my CV. smile

http://newsthump.com/2012/10/12/everyone-in-europe...

funkyrobot

7,819 posts

108 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
This proves without a doubt how out of touch people in governments really are, whether they are Euro MPs or even MPs here in the UK.

As long as we have people like this, nothing will get any better. fking ridiculous.

fbrs

8,467 posts

143 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
sums up my feelings...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/12...

Edited by fbrs on Friday 12th October 14:41

Ozzie Osmond

15,595 posts

126 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
They couldn't just give a peace prize to the UK, what with a proven enthusism for conducting wars in,

  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • Libya
Remember it was Hans Blix, the French and the Germans who said Saddam didn't have any WMD but home-grown genius Tony Blair said "yes they have" and kicked off a war. Nice one Britain!

fbrs

8,467 posts

143 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
Remember it was Hans Blix, the French and the Germans who said Saddam didn't have any WMD but home-grown genius Tony Blair said "yes they have" and kicked off a war. Nice one Britain!
oh please, as much as i dislike blair, he hardly 'kicked off' iraq, just pointlessly dragged us in. as for the french the ONLY thing they gave a fvck about was Total's 20bn barrels in majnoon. 20 billion!

Advertisement

martin84

5,366 posts

33 months

Dixie68

3,091 posts

67 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
Which bit of the words used by OP "unaccountable, undemocratic, useless" did you fail to understand?

And the armband nicely compliments the OPs use of the word "Stalinist", don't you think?
Are you mentally ill?

glazbagun

4,357 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Mark Benson said:
However, playing Devil's Advocate, it's a matter of public record that the European project was in part conceived it order to ensure no more wars in Europe on the scale of WWII and in that respect it could be considered a success, even if in most other respects it's an abject failure (at least for the Europeans that aren't in some way on board the gravy train itself).
Yup. It may cost billions, but by giving politicians a big juicy carrot it has, at least, prevented anything like the bloodbaths of before.

AJS-

11,439 posts

116 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
glazbagun said:
Mark Benson said:
However, playing Devil's Advocate, it's a matter of public record that the European project was in part conceived it order to ensure no more wars in Europe on the scale of WWII and in that respect it could be considered a success, even if in most other respects it's an abject failure (at least for the Europeans that aren't in some way on board the gravy train itself).
Yup. It may cost billions, but by giving politicians a big juicy carrot it has, at least, prevented anything like the bloodbaths of before.
That is a bit like saying bribery prevents police brutality

s2art

13,598 posts

133 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
glazbagun said:
Mark Benson said:
However, playing Devil's Advocate, it's a matter of public record that the European project was in part conceived it order to ensure no more wars in Europe on the scale of WWII and in that respect it could be considered a success, even if in most other respects it's an abject failure (at least for the Europeans that aren't in some way on board the gravy train itself).
Yup. It may cost billions, but by giving politicians a big juicy carrot it has, at least, prevented anything like the bloodbaths of before.
No, it has just cost billions. NATO, Nukes and the memory of WW2 is what prevented any more bloodbaths in Europe.

Mermaid

15,731 posts

51 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
..

Remember it was Hans Blix, the French and the Germans who said Saddam didn't have any WMD but home-grown genius Tony Blair said "yes they have" and kicked off a war. Nice one Britain!
Any bets against Tony getting a peace prize at some stage whilst all this madness is going on?

MX7

7,860 posts

54 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Mark Benson said:
I think the Nobel Peace prize lost it's credibility when they gave one to Obama before he's had chance to do anything in office, even he was embarrassed by it.
I think we all hoped that was a forgiveable indiscretion, but this takes it to a new level.

RIP Nobel Peace Prize. frown

JonRB

41,508 posts

152 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Of course, the ultimate irony is that Nobel himself was a warmonger and Arms Dealer who set up the Peace Prize so people would posthumously associate his name with peace and not war. It worked for many years too, but sadly now people associate it with excrement.

Oh well.

eharding

6,819 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
JonRB said:
Of course, the ultimate irony is that Nobel himself was a warmonger and Arms Dealer who set up the Peace Prize so people would associate his name with peace and not war.
..and some years hence it was said:
"....and the 2035 Blair Prize for Peace, Enlightenment, Wisdom, Charm and Definitely Not Going To War Under False Pretences is awarded to...."

Kermit power

16,293 posts

93 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
s2art said:
No, it has just cost billions. NATO, Nukes and the memory of WW2 is what prevented any more bloodbaths in Europe.
About the only bit of that which has any credence is the nukes.

NATO stopped any further World Wars? It was strategic alliances which escalated WW1 into becoming a world war, not something which prevented the conflict in the first place.

As for the memory of WW2, has that stopped WW3 in the same way that memories of WW1 stopped WW2? If anything, I think the memory of WW2 would've served to make us swallow our reluctance and jump in again if the need had arisen.

Puggit

32,068 posts

128 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Has it been mentioned yet that Thorbjørn Jagland is Secretary-General of the Council of Europe?

He has awarded the prize to himself.

s2art

13,598 posts

133 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
s2art said:
No, it has just cost billions. NATO, Nukes and the memory of WW2 is what prevented any more bloodbaths in Europe.
About the only bit of that which has any credence is the nukes.

NATO stopped any further World Wars? It was strategic alliances which escalated WW1 into becoming a world war, not something which prevented the conflict in the first place.

As for the memory of WW2, has that stopped WW3 in the same way that memories of WW1 stopped WW2? If anything, I think the memory of WW2 would've served to make us swallow our reluctance and jump in again if the need had arisen.
The reason NATO is important is basically the 800lb gorilla that is the USA. No European country, or group of them, could contemplate taking on the Yanks (no doubt with the UK as junior party). This is no simple alliance like pre-WW1, yours is a false analogy.

Its the German memories I was referring to, as only Germany has the potential to take on the rest of Europe. I am assured that Germany will not forget the aftermath easily.

Apache

38,620 posts

164 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Kermit power said:
s2art said:
No, it has just cost billions. NATO, Nukes and the memory of WW2 is what prevented any more bloodbaths in Europe.
About the only bit of that which has any credence is the nukes.

NATO stopped any further World Wars? It was strategic alliances which escalated WW1 into becoming a world war, not something which prevented the conflict in the first place.

As for the memory of WW2, has that stopped WW3 in the same way that memories of WW1 stopped WW2? If anything, I think the memory of WW2 would've served to make us swallow our reluctance and jump in again if the need had arisen.
Ok, Oppenheimer then?

fbrs

8,467 posts

143 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
s2art said:
The reason NATO is important is basically the 800lb gorilla that is the USA...
exactly. in the 1960's there were nearly 300,000 american troops stationed in europe, there were still 200,000 in 1990. war in europe would have been a direct threat to the security of american troops and their 500 nukes. the eu/eec/ecsc claiming credit for european peace would be laughable if it wern't for the fact that they are trying to rewrite history.

Hooli

26,531 posts

80 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Puggit said:
Has it been mentioned yet that Thorbjørn Jagland is Secretary-General of the Council of Europe?

He has awarded the prize to himself.
Ah, integrity....
1
3
Reply to Topic