Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4 ... 134 135
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

MitchT

7,977 posts

94 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
Codefaster said:
I was in WH Smiths at the weekend and noted a magazine called HOBBY'S in the general/hobby section.

I haven't looked into this (there is probably an explanation I guess..) but it just looked so wrong!
The company is WH Smith. Why do people always put an 's' on the end of a company's name? The other day one of my female collages said she bought something from Etams. No, you bought something from Etam.

Darkslider

2,311 posts

74 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
MitchT said:
Codefaster said:
I was in WH Smiths at the weekend and noted a magazine called HOBBY'S in the general/hobby section.

I haven't looked into this (there is probably an explanation I guess..) but it just looked so wrong!
The company is WH Smith. Why do people always put an 's' on the end of a company's name? The other day one of my female collages said she bought something from Etams. No, you bought something from Etam.
Smiths, Etams, Tescos, Safeways. Just something people do I guess.

GKP

8,249 posts

126 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
Darkslider said:
Smiths, Etams, Tescos, Safeways. Just something people do I guess.
Poor people, you mean? Others use Waitrose.

mybrainhurts

77,475 posts

140 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
dibbly_dobbler said:


hehehehehehe
You'd think somebody, somewhere, would have a quiet word with the sign makers, wouldn't you...?

dibbly_dobbler

7,629 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all


hehe I'm on a roll now !
Advertisement

dibbly_dobbler

7,629 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all


hehe Ok thats enough of that !























see what I did there ?


Titan Simba

15,949 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
This thread is giving me heart pulpitations.

Dogwatch

3,817 posts

107 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
Titan Simba said:
This thread is giving me heart pulpitations.
Preaching to the converted? laugh

Edited by Dogwatch on Tuesday 10th March 20:40

Einion Yrth

11,675 posts

129 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
El Guapo said:
The grocer´s apostrophe has been around since the mid-1980s.
Strictly: I'd suggest that should be " grocers' ", since no single grocer is responsible.

paperbag

dibbly_dobbler

7,629 posts

82 months

[news] 
Tuesday 10th March 2009 quote quote all
Dogwatch said:
Titan Simba said:
This thread is giving me heart pulpitations.
Preaching to the converted? laugh

Edited by Dogwatch on Tuesday 10th March 20:40
Oh very good ! clap

Prometheus

Original Poster:

367 posts

68 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
It's shoddy and lazy and infectious.


Dr_Gonzo

952 posts

110 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
mybrainhurts said:
dibbly_dobbler said:


hehehehehehe
You'd think somebody, somewhere, would have a quiet word with the sign makers, wouldn't you...?
I've often wondered, are sign makers generally thick or do they just write what they're told without questioning it? I saw two vans on the same day that both said "No Job To Small".

Mr Whippy

18,870 posts

126 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
dibbly_dobbler said:


hehehehehehe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A790175

article say's said:
There seems to be some primordial urge in writers of shop signs to use it to denote plurals. This is manifestly wrong.
hehe

DickyC

16,215 posts

83 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
If ever there are moves to get rid of the apostrophe, which I think I can use correctly, can we also get rid of whom, which I've always had trouble with?

Sciroccology

29,908 posts

115 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
DickyC said:
can we also get rid of whom, which I've always had trouble with?
As in a laydee's reproductive organs?

DickyC

16,215 posts

83 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
Sciroccology said:
DickyC said:
can we also get rid of whom, which I've always had trouble with?
As in a laydee's reproductive organs?
Chateauneuf Du Pape! Have I fallen victim to a terminological inexactitude?

central

16,441 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
PH thread said:
OFT bans Estate Agent's
;)

Skodaku

1,754 posts

104 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
GKP said:
Darkslider said:
Smiths, Etams, Tescos, Safeways. Just something people do I guess.
Poor people, you mean? Others use Waitrose.
laugh

ol

1,871 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
Dr_Gonzo said:
I've often wondered, are sign makers generally thick or do they just write what they're told without questioning it? I saw two vans on the same day that both said "No Job To Small".
Exactly. We had a bus stop put up outside our school when I was a lad. The school was called 'Queen Elizabeth Grammar school,' yet they managed to spell it 'grammer'...

sublimatica

2,176 posts

139 months

[news] 
Wednesday 11th March 2009 quote quote all
Those who continue to abuse the humble apostrophe in formal communication should be rounded up and posted to oblivion along with those who say 'myself' when they mean 'me', and 'yourself' when they mean 'you'. The majority of the police, call centre workers and estate agents would be included in this motley group.

'Certainly, sir. I'll post a form out to yourself and if you could post it back to ourselves as soon as possible please.'

I wish I didn't get so grumpy about this terminal decline of our language. But I do.
1
3 4 ... 134 135
Reply to Topic