Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
Robsti said:
Kneetrembler said:
What an ignorant peasant coming up with a stroke like that, you need to go and live overseas for many years before coming up with stupid comments like that.
The majority of us on the Spanish forum have as Mickrick pointed out lived overseas as TAX PAYING RESIDENTS not some scrounging bums.

Get your head out of your arse before opening your mouth another time.
Did you not see the smilie or did I hit a nerve now that your back in the UK with your tail between your legs! wink
I don't think he has his tail between his legs at all!
He seems to have done very well out of his travels, and put himself in a very enviable position.
I think you should read the tile of the thread again, and quit trolling. smile

Robsti

5,684 posts

92 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
I don't think he has his tail between his legs at all!
He seems to have done very well out of his travels, and put himself in a very enviable position.
I think you should read the tile of the thread again, and quit trolling. smile
The thread title is why I read it in the first place because I am looking for a distressed sale so I can pick up a bargain! wink

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
Better get yourself over then, as there's plenty of "Bargains".
Keep us posted on progress, as I'd love to know how you get on.
smile

hidetheelephants

8,064 posts

79 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
I'd have thought a 'we buy any property for cash' style advert in the various english language papers produced in expat-rich areas would get a response, especially from older folk who don't do teh internetz. That or print up flyers and mailbomb areas you fancy buying in; pay some spanish school kids to do the legwork!

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
He's just trolling, and having a gloat, otherwise he would have posted here and asked.
Anyway, anyone who's genuinely looking for distressed sales, and has any idea of what's going on over here, would contact the banks.
They are openly selling property now.
Advertisement

groak

3,254 posts

65 months

[news] 
Saturday 4th August 2012 quote quote all
As an ex (1980's) resident of Spain I find it really sad reading some of your posts. I was over there not long ago. Didn't see much sign of anything improving either.

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
groak said:
As an ex (1980's) resident of Spain I find it really sad reading some of your posts. I was over there not long ago. Didn't see much sign of anything improving either.
Where are you now? Back in U.K. ?
What made you decide to leave if you don't mind me asking ?

I came to Spain in around 1992, I lived in Sabanillas near Estepona, and drove into Gib every day.
I divided my time between being a dive guide on the Rock, to repairing hire cars on Devils tower road!
Wonderfull times for me smile

groak

3,254 posts

65 months

[news] 
Sunday 5th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
groak said:
As an ex (1980's) resident of Spain I find it really sad reading some of your posts. I was over there not long ago. Didn't see much sign of anything improving either.
Where are you now? Back in U.K. ?
What made you decide to leave if you don't mind me asking ?

I came to Spain in around 1992, I lived in Sabanillas near Estepona, and drove into Gib every day.
I divided my time between being a dive guide on the Rock, to repairing hire cars on Devils tower road!
Wonderfull times for me smile
Arrived in Javea/Xabia in early '86 and returned to UK residence in late '89. Something much stranger than usual happened which made it a waste of time for me to stay any longer. But I really enjoyed it while I was there though once I could speak passable Spanish and had made some Spanish mates it did start seeming like the only difference between life in Spain and life in Scotland was the weather. People and what they think/say/value etc are just the same all over the world.




mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Wednesday 8th August 2012 quote quote all
groak said:
it did start seeming like the only difference between life in Spain and life in Scotland was the weather. People and what they think/say/value etc are just the same all over the world.
You would think. But live here for 10 years, and buy some property, and the game changes.
As an example, I mentioned to my wife that we need to make wills.
She wasn't too bothered as she said as we have no children, if anything happens to either one of us the other will get our property.
But it's bugged me for ages, as I know here, if the property is in both names, as is ours, the living partner has to pay an inheritance tax on the passed partners half of the property.
I finally got her to ask at the Notario this week.
Guess what?
If my wife dies, and doesn't leave a will, who do you think will inherit her half of our property, bearing in mind we have no children.
Me, her Husband, right?
Wrong!
Her parents!
Life here is very different, and it's easy to be tripped up by the pitfalls.

ShinyAndy

202 posts

148 months

[news] 
Wednesday 8th August 2012 quote quote all
I've been here for getting on six years and thankfully didn't get lured into buying a property. To that effect my life here is pretty sweet, we run a Spanish limited company and apart from the draconian employment laws I can't say it's a lot different than the UK in that respect. In answer to the thread title though, down here it doesn't seem that bad to be honest. This summer is extraordinarily busy, not seen it so full since 2006/7. General opinion in the business community is pretty optimistic and most people seem to be doing just fine, clearly not going to be like the halcyon days pre the bubble burst but you can easily make enough to live a decent life.

I tend to stick my head in the sand when it comes to the Spanish and just let them get on with it!

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
I have to say, it's been busy here with tourists this week.
I think the stronger pound against the euro will help.
It will come back.
Just found out that even if we make a will, and my wife leaves her half of the property to me, her parents are entitled to 33% of the property! rolleyes
The Notario only takes cash....go figure.

P924

1,087 posts

68 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
The Notario only takes cash....go figure.
LOL. Welcome to Spain.

I drive to La Linea everyday, and the only place I see cars double parked is outside Trafico!

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
Ha ha. Spent many a wild night in La Linea smile

Kneetrembler

1,676 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
Ha ha. Spent many a wild night in La Linea smile
Me too at the Rovers,the different Tapas bars & the Chinese just over the border, same years as you Mick, we must have met somewhere in a Bar or 2

Kneetrembler

1,676 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
I have to say, it's been busy here with tourists this week.
I think the stronger pound against the euro will help.
It will come back.
Just found out that even if we make a will, and my wife leaves her half of the property to me, her parents are entitled to 33% of the property! rolleyes
The Notario only takes cash....go figure.
Can you not get over it while you are living in Spain just by making out an English will, otherwise the problem with Spain as well is that say your wife died then the Spanish Govt would hold onto all of her shares in any property and anything else until they also find out if she has any children etc.
Spanish law is literally as the day it was made law (Napoleonic) a right pain in the arse.
The law dictates what you give and what you receive after all death duties have been pain,plus all the other bits.
Really glad that I am out of there lock stock and barrel.
The only thing that I have left is a 10,000mtr plot in Monda, which I've forgotten about and will go to the kids, unless Spain comes back on top in my lifetime.
It can be worse if you have children as I found out, but as I am not a Spanish resident anymore it doesn't affect me.

See you up the Hamble soon then eh !
KT

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
English will is useless in Spain. Another one that catches folks out.
It takes years to sort it out.
We are in Spain, Spanish law. No will can override the law.
The inheritence tax isn't too bad, at the moment. 1%. Not something you want to deal with though if you've lost a spouse.
Fortunately my wifes parents are lovely, and they wouldn't want any part of our home, so another trip to the Notario with them to disclaim any inheritance would be in order.
Unfortunately one of my pals has recently had to do the same thing, but his wife was French. You can't imagine the chew he had to go through, having his in-laws in France!

Hamble? I'll probably be in Warsash doing some courses, but I'm sure I'll manage a drinksmile

Kneetrembler

1,676 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 9th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
English will is useless in Spain. Another one that catches folks out.
It takes years to sort it out.
We are in Spain, Spanish law. No will can override the law.
The inheritence tax isn't too bad, at the moment. 1%. Not something you want to deal with though if you've lost a spouse.
Fortunately my wifes parents are lovely, and they wouldn't want any part of our home, so another trip to the Notario with them to disclaim any inheritance would be in order.
Unfortunately one of my pals has recently had to do the same thing, but his wife was French. You can't imagine the chew he had to go through, having his in-laws in France!

Hamble? I'll probably be in Warsash doing some courses, but I'm sure I'll manage a drinksmile
Give me a bell,send me a pm and for sure we can meet up come and stay or whatever, when will the courses be ?

KT

mickrick

2,988 posts

59 months

[news] 
Friday 10th August 2012 quote quote all
No course dates booked yet. I'm waiting for a letter of assesment from the MCA.
I'll let you know how it pans out. beer

Kneetrembler

1,676 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 11th August 2012 quote quote all
mickrick said:
No course dates booked yet. I'm waiting for a letter of assesment from the MCA.
I'll let you know how it pans out. beer
Top man look forward to hearing from you, bit of a pissy time this week Cowes week, some nice parties around !

KT
1
Reply to Topic