Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

RDMcG

8,513 posts

90 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all

GC8

14,908 posts

73 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
Chipchap said:
Thats quite an unusual configuration for such an old vehicle, isnt it? Twin steers and one driven is common now, but I dont remember seeing it on older tractor units.

Edited by GC8 on Wednesday 3rd October 22:09

SystemParanoia

9,694 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
the Inno Truck biggrin


GC8

14,908 posts

73 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
It looks a bit too 'Joe 90' to be practical every day!

SystemParanoia

9,694 posts

81 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
spoilsport tongue out
Advertisement

T16OLE

2,078 posts

74 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all

chilistrucker

2,442 posts

34 months

[news] 
Tuesday 2nd October 2012 quote quote all
hurl

Lucas CAV

1,256 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
GC8 said:
Chipchap][url said:
Thats quite an unusual for such an old vehicle, isnt it? Twin steers and one driven is common now, but I dont remember seeing it on older tractor units.
That's an AEC Mammoth Minor - basically a Mandator with an extra axle.

Brought out about the same time as the Scammell Trunker (although it was twin steer, it wasn't the Chinese6 arrangement like the AEC)

Both designed to make 32 GVW more achieveable without overloading an axle on the unit.

Chipchap

1,578 posts

80 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Lucas CAV said:
That's an AEC Mammoth Minor - basically a Mandator with an extra axle.

Brought out about the same time as the Scammell Trunker (although it was twin steer, it wasn't the Chinese6 arrangement like the AEC)

Both designed to make 32 GVW more achieveable without overloading an axle on the unit.
All spot on, except they were actually badged as Mandators confusingly. The AEC designation from memory [1974] was 2TG6RE. Oh and it was a useless piece of kak in Scotland in the harsh winters. The main reason being mechanical suspension all round so no air bags to exhaust and aid traction.

So we ended up shortening it imto a 4x2 and boy was it a performer. F86 was easy meat. F88 240 was a harder task but achievable on the big hills as the AV760 was really grunty. The kiddie in those days was the MAN 16:240 DFS with column shift splitter box. fast quiet and easy to drive.


A

MadDad

2,980 posts

144 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
I served an apprenticeship with Leyland/DAF many moons ago (god knows how I ended up as a program manager in IT).....

I had a soft spot for two models in the range that were particularly nice to work on, and look at - the 3600 and the T45.





I think the second photo was the Vales demo truck while I was serving my apprenticeship.

But, my fave was our wrecker, one of these;


Lucas CAV

1,256 posts

102 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Chipchap said:
Lucas CAV said:
That's an AEC Mammoth Minor - basically a Mandator with an extra axle.

Brought out about the same time as the Scammell Trunker (although it was twin steer, it wasn't the Chinese6 arrangement like the AEC)

Both designed to make 32 GVW more achieveable without overloading an axle on the unit.
All spot on, except they were actually badged as Mandators confusingly. The AEC designation from memory [1974] was 2TG6RE. Oh and it was a useless piece of kak in Scotland in the harsh winters. The main reason being mechanical suspension all round so no air bags to exhaust and aid traction.

So we ended up shortening it imto a 4x2 and boy was it a performer. F86 was easy meat. F88 240 was a harder task but achievable on the big hills as the AV760 was really grunty. The kiddie in those days was the MAN 16:240 DFS with column shift splitter box. fast quiet and easy to drive.


A
IIRC the Mammoth Minor was made until 1971 - major buyers were Air Products and Sam Anderson of Newhouse -


The Mandator should've had the Fuller box from the start rather than the old 6 speed!

Edited by Lucas CAV on Wednesday 3rd October 22:04

Chipchap

1,578 posts

80 months

[news] 
Wednesday 3rd October 2012 quote quote all
Ours was registered as PDC 827H and I think was new to Salvesens running on the Scottish Island boats. We bought it out of AEC London Road Glasgow as it had been in for a new engine after some one put it in a ditch up north and cracked the sump, then drove it on after recovery and killed the engine through lack of oil.

It had the 6spd AEC box and i know this as I did a clutch on it in my "O" level year, on my own !Oh and it was outside as we had no undercover at that time [hard we were lol].

Our 1966 "D" reg Highwayman had a 150 6LX Gardner with a 6 speed Scammell box & rear axle and our 1971 "J" reg Trunker 2 had a Leyland 680 Power+ and a 6 speed Scammell box and axle. Both Scammells had the gate on the gearbox.

Old British trucks were already dying by 1974/75 as Ailsa Trucks were leading a Volvo revolution in Scotland and Scania were doing similar. DAF were making inroads with the little 2200 range.


A

magooagain

915 posts

53 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
I was a drivers mate delivering and collecting spuds in something like this. It sure did whistle.
http://www.truck-photos.net/picture/number8634.asp

ZR1cliff

Original Poster:

17,964 posts

132 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Talking of spuds, when I was 14 I helped out at a local fruit&veg wholesalers and helped load the lorries after school, Saturday mornings I was out early and a driver's mate helping with deliveries in and old Bedford TK or Ford.


odyssey2200

18,650 posts

92 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
SystemParanoia said:
the Inno Truck biggrin

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!

Want that soooo badly!!

SystemParanoia

9,694 posts

81 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all



get in line biggrin

david whitfield

8 posts

11 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th August 2013 quote quote all
GC8 said:
Thats quite an unusual configuration for such an old vehicle, isnt it? Twin steers and one driven is common now, but I dont remember seeing it on older tractor units.

Edited by GC8 on Wednesday 3rd October 22:09
Hello with regards to twin steer tractor units. I drove for northern ireland trailers on preston docks in the late sixties and early seventies. I drove many different units including atkinson twin steers with a 180 gardener engine.N.I.T. where very up to date with ERFs with Rolls Royce engines ,Atkinson the first borderers with 210 cummins and fuller gearboxes. they also had tri -axle trailers at this time . to reverse you had to get the rear wheels dead straight and put a pin in two holes to lock it. Some had air bellows to assistin the rear steer. both types of trailers where rear steers.
david whitfield

david whitfield

8 posts

11 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th August 2013 quote quote all
driven thames trader 4d around the farms delivering cattle food in bags,did the same with an s type bedford,drove a leyland comet with a scammel coupling for ulster ferry transport preston docks(1960s)
ERF unit with 150 gardener , atkinson twin steers, atkinson early borderer 210 cummins for N.I.T. preston docks.best of all was volvo f88 superb, better than the MANs 220and240 , scanias 111 and 112 i drove later.
the scania 112 comes very close though.
who remembers the jensen truck . i drove a rigid jensen in the early 60s . the lorry had belonged to keanies transport in preston and was bought by W B PARK who used to transport in bags wood shavings from liverpool and manchester to a chipboard factory at annan in dumfrieshire.we also delivered to farms . mr park bought the jensen as it was made of alloy and very light.

fttm

353 posts

18 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th August 2013 quote quote all
My best truck was the Volvo F12 Globetrotter used for pulling our race transporter , unlimited she sit at 75mph all day and all night , a beauty . Now have a 2013 Kenworth T800 mid roof which although nice inside is the biggest heap of junk after my 2012 Peterbilt .

AuralisMatty

40 posts

12 months

[news] 
Tuesday 13th August 2013 quote quote all

Favourite truck that I supply tyres for at the moment would be doyles 620 v8 tipper its epic.


1
3 4
Reply to Topic