Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 20th April 2012 quote quote all
LuS1fer said:
Nobody ever could have predicted the prices now but IIRC anyway, a Mexico in the early 70s sold for the equivalent of £20000 in modern terms so(a) you'd have to be rich to strat with and (b) you'd still have to have waited over 35 years.
June 71 a Mexico was selling for £1150 and 4 shillings smile

LuS1fer

31,716 posts

130 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
RV8 said:
True but it's the two doors that are fetching daft money in relative comparison, as you correctly point out the mexico was always desirable but over the last 15 years even lowly 1100 Mk1's (which were never desirable or expensive) are commanding good money now in 2 door form. Just like the mini 'cooper' recipe where you take basic 998 City fit some sportpack arches, stripes, minilights and four spots on the front and are able to flog it for the same sort of money genuine coopers once were going for, a bog standard escort mk1 with some rally arches bogged on, a roll cage and mexico stripes will sell for daft money. Everyone wants the real deal but most cannot afford it.
Perhaps the biggest way to extract as much money as possible from an aging but solid 2 door with no rally credentials - find a decent cosworth engine and whack that in there and do it well yourself and walk away with £10k.
From memory, I seem to recall that the Ford Escort Mk II Popular (2 doors were deemed the cheapo as well as sporty versions then of course) had a headline on the road price of either £1199 0r £1299 and that wasn't that long after my parents paid £6300 for a 3 bed semi which would probably be worth around £200k now.

SuperHangOn

2,448 posts

38 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
Capri's are crap but it doesn't really matter. Its all about peering over that power bulge through the letter box windscreen, giving that V6 a good prod and feeling the back end start to slide. They are so much bloody fun thumbup

If you had any sense you buy an E36 328i for a quarter of the price but that would be oh so predictable and boring!


J4CKO

11,009 posts

85 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
s m said:
It was legible when I posted it ( top of pg 6 ) wink

Here's a bit of Advert nostalgia from '84 smile

I used that very photo as a basis for an art project at school, the Injection was my object of desire, until the 3 door Cosworth arrived in 86 that is.

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
SuperHangOn said:
Capri's are crap but it doesn't really matter. Its all about peering over that power bulge through the letter box windscreen, giving that V6 a good prod and feeling the back end start to slide. They are so much bloody fun thumbup

If you had any sense you buy an E36 328i for a quarter of the price but that would be oh so predictable and boring!
I know what you mean - they do sound nice burbling away and easy to learn about rwd dynamics even though they only have 3/4 of the poke of the new BRZ/GT86 you can adjust the line on the throttle

Advertisement

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
s m said:
Anyone remember historic racer, Willie Green, talking to Autocar about why he used an old Capri 2.8 ( albeit with the Cosworth 24v V6 ) as a fun car for the 'Ring and other tracks?
This wasn't the article I was thinking of but I think it was Autocar's first meeting with Willie and his 2.8i Capri ( have arrowed the start of the relevant bit )




s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
LuS1fer said:
RV8 said:
True but it's the two doors that are fetching daft money in relative comparison, as you correctly point out the mexico was always desirable but over the last 15 years even lowly 1100 Mk1's (which were never desirable or expensive) are commanding good money now in 2 door form. Just like the mini 'cooper' recipe where you take basic 998 City fit some sportpack arches, stripes, minilights and four spots on the front and are able to flog it for the same sort of money genuine coopers once were going for, a bog standard escort mk1 with some rally arches bogged on, a roll cage and mexico stripes will sell for daft money. Everyone wants the real deal but most cannot afford it.
Perhaps the biggest way to extract as much money as possible from an aging but solid 2 door with no rally credentials - find a decent cosworth engine and whack that in there and do it well yourself and walk away with £10k.
From memory, I seem to recall that the Ford Escort Mk II Popular (2 doors were deemed the cheapo as well as sporty versions then of course) had a headline on the road price of either £1199 0r £1299 and that wasn't that long after my parents paid £6300 for a 3 bed semi which would probably be worth around £200k now.
Mid 70s ( '75 ) the RS1800 was being sold at £2990

swerni

22,054 posts

95 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
Pedmeister said:
swerni said:
s m said:
swerni said:
rofl


And yet the capri has crap handling,
If it's the 2.8 he mentioned in the OP, rather contrary to your view, they were quite well praised in the press of the time for their predictable handling.
Have you bothered looking at my car history?

My first 2 cars were Carpi's
Although I haven't owned a 2.8 I've driven a quite a few.
The Capri has set the tone for most of my motoring history.


I love Capri's but some things are better looking back with rose tinted glasses
Evidently, you have never driven a 2.8i to make such a derogatory comment in relation to their handling/road holding ability. There is NO COMPARISON between the 2.8i and 'other' Capris- TOTALLY DIFFERENT DAMPER & SPRING RATINGS, THICKER FRONT AND REAR ANTI-ROLL BARS, LOWER RIDE HEIGHT, FATTER TYRES-TOTALLY DIFFERENT DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Get the picture?? ROFL
I get the picture.

You're a fanboy, you love your car, get over yourself.

The handling wasn't very good when I last drove one, but that was about 25 years ago.
Compared to modern cars the handling is crap, especially things like the far better looking 350z wink


Don't get so upset and defensive, it makes you look rather childish.

SM has made some salient points, I'm sure modern rubber had made a huge difference.

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
T0nup said:
Have to be the Capri for me. But go for the 3.0 Essex rather than the 2.8 Cologne engine. (Lots of inherant plenum chamber and injection issues are always moaned about in the club mags)

Wouldn't worry about the LSD, a little tail end respect will pay dividends, as will spending a little on stiffening up the car with polybushes and a rear anxle X frame and stiffer springs.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling my 1980 Capri Ghia.

Hope this helps, but in a couple of years time, you maybe thinking very differently about what appeals to you.
Of course, back years ago, you could take you new or second-hand Capri back to the dealer and buy various stages of upgrades for it.
X-pack arches, triple carbs for a 3 litre, LSD, uprated suspension, wider wheels, higher capacity rad etc

Here's an old article where LJK Setright tries a proper 'Essex motor'! smile










mat777

Original Poster:

5,327 posts

45 months

[news] 
Saturday 21st April 2012 quote quote all
yonex said:
LuS1fer said:
Au contraire. I had no problems in 3 years of ownership. I doubt the same could be said of the Essex Express if you want to deal in stereotypes. wink
'Essex Express' lol

That Vette would be better in any other colour than 'look at me red'. The C5 carries it off but not the C4 IMO.

edit.... and why are we comparing something that is £10K against what would probably be £4000 of Capri?


Edited by yonex on Thursday 19th April 16:29
..Because you can have a decent C4 for a lot less than 10k (and it even sort of looks OK in red)...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3486063.htm - privately sold ones are even less, and its even less again for the ugly bloated (not so good in red) post facelift ZR1-lookalike ones as pictured earlier


As for the image stereotypes.. if it really boils down to it then anyone who has seen the pic in my profile would probably agree that I'd rather be sterotyped as a wannabe cowboy (even though I am waaaaay too intelligent to be a redneck and I am also an athiest) than an Essex Gary! I must say though that the 2.8i in that advert looks properly stunning!

I also gather that the Vette does handle kind of ok in the corners (in a skittish-in-the-wet RWD way), mainly because America's idea of a sports car is a car with absolutely no give in the suspension?

Edited by mat777 on Saturday 21st April 20:17

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
swerni said:
The handling wasn't very good when I last drove one, but that was about 25 years ago.
Compared to modern cars the handling is crap, especially things like the far better looking 350z wink
smile - I remember EVO mag, picking the Capri 2.8i, along with the Mk1 MX5, E34 M5 and Toyota Supra as one of the best cars to learn oversteer in. They said the good thing about the rear axle was that you didn't get big camber changes in cornering ( or sliding hehe )

GroundEffect

7,957 posts

41 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
mat777 said:
In a couple of year's time when I get my first few paycheques I will have around 5K to get a car that I will want for everyday driving in all weathers. I want it to be a multi-cylinder (ie. >4) FR coupe with controllable tail happiness but dont want anything dull and modern - it has to be a modern classic and easy to do my own work and servicing on. It also has to make a good noise! I understand insurance will be somewhat more than I currently pay for a 30yr old Land Rover but it still has to be affordable for a 22/23 yr old graduate salary

For 5k I could have either an ok Capri 2.8 V6 (British, more economical, right hand drive, easy to get parts for but very rust prone) or an early C4 corvette (More stylish, fab 80s LCD dash, v8 that sounds like Thor gargling hammers, properly head turning and much quicker than a Capri, with a rot free plastic body).

Thoughts either way?
The Capri isn't British, it's European. Designed jointly between Dunton and Merckenich.

Pedmeister

1,083 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
swerni said:
Pedmeister said:
swerni said:
s m said:
swerni said:
rofl


And yet the capri has crap handling,
If it's the 2.8 he mentioned in the OP, rather contrary to your view, they were quite well praised in the press of the time for their predictable handling.
Have you bothered looking at my car history?

My first 2 cars were Carpi's
Although I haven't owned a 2.8 I've driven a quite a few.
The Capri has set the tone for most of my motoring history.


I love Capri's but some things are better looking back with rose tinted glasses
Evidently, you have never driven a 2.8i to make such a derogatory comment in relation to their handling/road holding ability. There is NO COMPARISON between the 2.8i and 'other' Capris- TOTALLY DIFFERENT DAMPER & SPRING RATINGS, THICKER FRONT AND REAR ANTI-ROLL BARS, LOWER RIDE HEIGHT, FATTER TYRES-TOTALLY DIFFERENT DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Get the picture?? ROFL
I get the picture.

You're a fanboy, you love your car, get over yourself.

The handling wasn't very good when I last drove one, but that was about 25 years ago.
Compared to modern cars the handling is crap, especially things like the far better looking 350z wink


Don't get so upset and defensive, it makes you look rather childish.

SM has made some salient points, I'm sure modern rubber had made a huge difference.
Thank you for your patronising reposte. You confuse contesting & challenging inaccurate comments with being upset- more fool you to jump to such a banal conclusion. Have a 'nice' day......

Pedmeister

1,083 posts

101 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
GroundEffect said:
mat777 said:
In a couple of year's time when I get my first few paycheques I will have around 5K to get a car that I will want for everyday driving in all weathers. I want it to be a multi-cylinder (ie. >4) FR coupe with controllable tail happiness but dont want anything dull and modern - it has to be a modern classic and easy to do my own work and servicing on. It also has to make a good noise! I understand insurance will be somewhat more than I currently pay for a 30yr old Land Rover but it still has to be affordable for a 22/23 yr old graduate salary

For 5k I could have either an ok Capri 2.8 V6 (British, more economical, right hand drive, easy to get parts for but very rust prone) or an early C4 corvette (More stylish, fab 80s LCD dash, v8 that sounds like Thor gargling hammers, properly head turning and much quicker than a Capri, with a rot free plastic body).

Thoughts either way?
The Capri isn't British, it's European. Designed jointly between Dunton and Merckenich.
In addition to the Capri not being British, nor is it a rot box. Granted, the British built MK1/2 Capris can have problems with tin worm- no more so than ANY other late 60's/70's car. The MK3 Capris were built in Cologne & Genk, to higher standards. If you look after them, ie apply some waxoyl to known weak spots, they are far from problematic. EG My car is 28 years old & retains ALL of it's orginal body panels, arches etc and it has never seen a tub of Isopon P38, or a welders torch smile

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
J4CKO said:
s m said:
It was legible when I posted it ( top of pg 6 ) wink

Here's a bit of Advert nostalgia from '84 smile

I used that very photo as a basis for an art project at school, the Injection was my object of desire, until the 3 door Cosworth arrived in 86 that is.
The dealerships had some great full-sized pics/ads for those as well

swerni

22,054 posts

95 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
Pedmeister said:
Thank you for your patronising reposte. You confuse contesting & challenging inaccurate comments with being upset- more fool you to jump to such a banal conclusion. Have a 'nice' day......
And now your doing it again.

People have differing opinions and experiences, it doesn't makes us wrong.

Ps I'm having a lovely one thanks wink

RV8

1,570 posts

56 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
s m said:
LuS1fer said:
RV8 said:
True but it's the two doors that are fetching daft money in relative comparison, as you correctly point out the mexico was always desirable but over the last 15 years even lowly 1100 Mk1's (which were never desirable or expensive) are commanding good money now in 2 door form. Just like the mini 'cooper' recipe where you take basic 998 City fit some sportpack arches, stripes, minilights and four spots on the front and are able to flog it for the same sort of money genuine coopers once were going for, a bog standard escort mk1 with some rally arches bogged on, a roll cage and mexico stripes will sell for daft money. Everyone wants the real deal but most cannot afford it.
Perhaps the biggest way to extract as much money as possible from an aging but solid 2 door with no rally credentials - find a decent cosworth engine and whack that in there and do it well yourself and walk away with £10k.
From memory, I seem to recall that the Ford Escort Mk II Popular (2 doors were deemed the cheapo as well as sporty versions then of course) had a headline on the road price of either £1199 0r £1299 and that wasn't that long after my parents paid £6300 for a 3 bed semi which would probably be worth around £200k now.
Mid 70s ( '75 ) the RS1800 was being sold at £2990
Quite. But you see they weren't going for that in the early 90's mate, which is when it would have been best to buy them. Capri's, cortina Mk1's, the lot. I'm slightly bemused that you thought my hypothetical business plan would be to buy them from new to make a profit......

s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
RV8 said:
s m said:
LuS1fer said:
RV8 said:
True but it's the two doors that are fetching daft money in relative comparison, as you correctly point out the mexico was always desirable but over the last 15 years even lowly 1100 Mk1's (which were never desirable or expensive) are commanding good money now in 2 door form. Just like the mini 'cooper' recipe where you take basic 998 City fit some sportpack arches, stripes, minilights and four spots on the front and are able to flog it for the same sort of money genuine coopers once were going for, a bog standard escort mk1 with some rally arches bogged on, a roll cage and mexico stripes will sell for daft money. Everyone wants the real deal but most cannot afford it.
Perhaps the biggest way to extract as much money as possible from an aging but solid 2 door with no rally credentials - find a decent cosworth engine and whack that in there and do it well yourself and walk away with £10k.
From memory, I seem to recall that the Ford Escort Mk II Popular (2 doors were deemed the cheapo as well as sporty versions then of course) had a headline on the road price of either £1199 0r £1299 and that wasn't that long after my parents paid £6300 for a 3 bed semi which would probably be worth around £200k now.
Mid 70s ( '75 ) the RS1800 was being sold at £2990
Quite. But you see they weren't going for that in the early 90's mate, which is when it would have been best to buy them. Capri's, cortina Mk1's, the lot. I'm slightly bemused that you thought my hypothetical business plan would be to buy them from new to make a profit......
Not really bemused, I was just filling in some prices from new for the poster I replied to wink

I know that RS1800s were fetching more than new only 10 years after........whilst you could get no end of cheap Mk2 2-doors for less than £300 ....I know because I bought one or two smile

mattdaniels

6,232 posts

167 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
I had a 2.8 injection special. In Paris Blue. Fecking loved that car. Absolutely loved it. £5 a pop for pepperpots with tyres on, a nice sunny day at Bentwaters...absolute heaven. All that was missing was a wall of carboard boxes and the theme from The Professionals playing on the tape player.




s m

10,231 posts

88 months

[news] 
Sunday 22nd April 2012 quote quote all
J4CKO said:
s m said:
It was legible when I posted it ( top of pg 6 ) wink

Here's a bit of Advert nostalgia from '84 smile

I used that very photo as a basis for an art project at school, the Injection was my object of desire, until the 3 door Cosworth arrived in 86 that is.
Here's one of the earlier ads



1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic