Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Eighteeteewhy

Original Poster:

6,898 posts

53 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
The M3/TR6 thread got me thinking about new engines in older cars. There's something cool about opening the bonnet and seeing a nice modern lump in there. There's loads of old Escorts with Cossie lumps and Duratec but what others have you seen. Those crazy Japs seem to do it well.

Mk1 Escort


@


ETA...the link for the TR6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-BMW-M3-Drive...

Edited by Eighteeteewhy on Monday 23 April 19:39

Ray Luxury-Yacht

7,992 posts

101 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I think I've just died and gone to heaven cloud9

I wish that Escort was mine!!!


Johnboy Mac

2,666 posts

63 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I've always been all for it - within reason. Wouldn't be keen on say the likes of a V8 in an Escort for example. The M3 motor in the TR6 is excellent, bar all the plastic.

Marquis Rex

7,377 posts

124 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
It's quite common in the USA to find the latest Gen3 twin plug Hemi in classic American muscle such as Darts, Chargers, Challengers etc. the Gen 3 Hemi is not only lighter than the old 426 Hemi, but even the 340 T/A engine and it is fuel injected and often has cylinder deactivation and variable dual equal cam phasing so is much better in terms of fuel economy.

Also bear in mind that the old SAE Gross BHP ratings were in the order of 100 Bhp + over how those engines would be rated today, with that in mind the latest Hemis often make alot more power even than the old stock 426 Hemi

andy-xr

9,634 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Owned cars with different more modern engines, common one is a 1.8 130hp Zetec into a mk2 Fiesta

Went fairly well and a decent upgrade over the CVH, the sort of power it should have had back in the 80's
Advertisement

otherman

1,168 posts

50 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
So what engine is that, and is it an exposed cambelt we're seeing there. What keeps it in place - it looks like it would just spin off.

redgriff500

9,253 posts

148 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Too many to list really.

Lexus V8's - Hi lux, Defender, Disco, RX7, MX5, Supra...
LS1 V8's - BMW E46, E36, E30, MX5, RX7, Chevette, Escort...
Vauxhall 16v / Turbo in loads of RWD and most Vauxhall FWD
Skyline 2.6TT in 200SX, RX7

CDP

5,017 posts

139 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Eighteeteewhy said:
ETA...the link for the TR6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-BMW-M3-Drive...

Edited by Eighteeteewhy on Monday 23 April 19:39
Let's hope BMW see that car and get ideas...

Superhoop

3,188 posts

78 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I know it's not particularly well received on PH, but this has been going on for years in the VW world.

It started with MKII 1.8 16v lumps into MKI golfs, and now everything from 24v VR lumps to PD engines are finding their way into older models - there was a thread on here a while ago about a PD engine swap into a Corrado from memory

Crafty_

7,294 posts

85 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Superhoop said:
I know it's not particularly well received on PH, but this has been going on for years in the VW world.

It started with MKII 1.8 16v lumps into MKI golfs, and now everything from 24v VR lumps to PD engines are finding their way into older models - there was a thread on here a while ago about a PD engine swap into a Corrado from memory
rofl
Not everything began in the VW scene you know. People were pulling bangers (thats a 4 cylinder engine to you) out of model T and A "gow jobs" and replacing it with a flathead v8 back in the 30s. When the boys got back from fighting WWII the hot rod thing exploded. By the mid 50s they were buying brand new engines and installing them in old cars. Its believed the first SBC hot rod existed by the time the public could get their hands on a '55 chevy with a SBC under the hood.

Dave Hedgehog

7,136 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
CDP said:
Eighteeteewhy said:
ETA...the link for the TR6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-BMW-M3-Drive...

Edited by Eighteeteewhy on Monday 23 April 19:39
Let's hope BMW see that car and get ideas...
oh boy sperm

kambites

40,114 posts

106 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I've driven a few 60s cars with 90s engines in them - Elans with Zetecs, MGBs with K-series, etc.

As nice as it is (except for the wheels), I struggle to believe that he'll get anything like 25 grand for that TR6.

Somnophore

1,364 posts

61 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Racing puma engine in fiesta is quite good.

Tuned up BAM 1.8T in a MK1 or MK2 golf gti or scirocco

m444ttb

1,731 posts

114 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
One of the BMW mags a few years ago had an e24 6-series with the V8 from an e39 M5. Even had a working 'Sport' button.

aka_kerrly

7,261 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I love old cars with modern engines/running gear, best of both in my opinion.

So long as you are handy with electrics, have a suitable transmission and can physically fit the engine into the space available then in theory there isn't too much preventing these types of conversions.


Sf_Manta

1,007 posts

76 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves





http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/08/14/bmw-owner-fits-a...

Max M4X WW

2,713 posts

67 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Had these sat on my PC for years, seems like the right time to re-post..





Edited by Max M4X WW on Monday 23 April 20:26

Flat6er

1,394 posts

95 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Crafty_ said:
rofl
Not everything began in the VW scene you know. People were pulling bangers (thats a 4 cylinder engine to you) out of model T and A "gow jobs" and replacing it with a flathead v8 back in the 30s. When the boys got back from fighting WWII the hot rod thing exploded. By the mid 50s they were buying brand new engines and installing them in old cars. Its believed the first SBC hot rod existed by the time the public could get their hands on a '55 chevy with a SBC under the hood.
Go back and read his original thread again. I'm not sure he meant that the vw scene invented engine swapping. I read it as the engine swapping in the vw scene started with mk2 engines into mk1 Golfs.

That's a nice chip on your shoulder about the dub scene.

zb

678 posts

49 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
There's not section for engine swapped cars on the classifieds here is there? (I think you don't see some sections unless there are actual vehicles available in them, is that correct?).

If there isn't, I think one would be a great idea.

Crafty_

7,294 posts

85 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd April 2012 quote quote all
Flat6er said:
Go back and read his original thread again. I'm not sure he meant that the vw scene invented engine swapping. I read it as the engine swapping in the vw scene started with mk2 engines into mk1 Golfs.

That's a nice chip on your shoulder about the dub scene.
I read it. My point was its been going on since forever.

No chip here, maybe some paranoia on yours though ?
2
Reply to Topic