Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 11 12
14 15 ... 23 24
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Rollcage

11,311 posts

80 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
flatline84 said:
If I was on a budget Id honestly pick a straight 3.0 over a 3.2

The 5-speed is bulletproof and the engine more reliable. Its also plenty fast, 62 mph arriving in 6.0 seconds.
Autocar tested it at 5.4 back in the day!

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8...

flatline84

1,060 posts

45 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Also a saloon!

A hellrot 3.0 saloon for me please, unmolested smile

e21Mark

4,721 posts

61 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
flatline84 said:
If I was on a budget Id honestly pick a straight 3.0 over a 3.2

The 5-speed is bulletproof and the engine more reliable. Its also plenty fast, 62 mph arriving in 6.0 seconds.
My e21 is quicker than that. wink

s m

10,731 posts

91 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
e21Mark said:
flatline84 said:
If I was on a budget Id honestly pick a straight 3.0 over a 3.2

The 5-speed is bulletproof and the engine more reliable. Its also plenty fast, 62 mph arriving in 6.0 seconds.
My e21 is quicker than that. wink
Link to test?

RemyMartin

Original Poster:

2,182 posts

93 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
e21Mark said:
My e21 is quicker than that. wink
your e21 is one of my favourite cars on this website! love e21 3 series.

170k is big miles for 4k
Advertisement

chippy17

3,617 posts

131 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Rollcage said:
flatline84 said:
If I was on a budget Id honestly pick a straight 3.0 over a 3.2

The 5-speed is bulletproof and the engine more reliable. Its also plenty fast, 62 mph arriving in 6.0 seconds.
Autocar tested it at 5.4 back in the day!

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8...
exactly what I did, picked one up about 4 years ago with 80K on the clock for £3k, two owners vgc, now on 120K + and going strong

yes the Evo is better but does not make the 3.0 a bad car

PC also clocked 5.4, and 100 in 13 dead, 120 in 19



flatline84

1,060 posts

45 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
What makes the 3.2 better? The gearbox in the 3.0 is better, and the 3.0 aint that much slower.

Output Flange

14,610 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
flatline84 said:
What makes the 3.2 better? The gearbox in the 3.0 is better, and the 3.0 aint that much slower.
Better brakes, revised geometry, better engine, stronger diff, digi climate control all spring to mind.

Gearbox is swings and roundabouts - the 5 speed has a slightly better shift action, but the Evo box has a 6th gear for economy.

flatline84

1,060 posts

45 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Is the engine really better? It has 10-15 more horsepower but is more complicated and more expensive to run. Better Climate control... well I Guess hehe

Output Flange

14,610 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Twin oil pickups, better head design, variable timing on inlet and exhaust cams - yes, it's better. Not sure why it's more expensive to run, though? And if you say VANOS you can leave now...

Crook

4,118 posts

112 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
I bought a 3.0l over a 3.2 specifically because of the VANOS.

carreauchompeur

12,990 posts

92 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
VANOS fails... Worst case scenario £850. Not TOO scary.

flatline84

1,060 posts

45 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Output Flange said:
Twin oil pickups, better head design, variable timing on inlet and exhaust cams - yes, it's better. Not sure why it's more expensive to run, though? And if you say VANOS you can leave now...
Is being vary of the vanos such a controversial issue? I Have two friends who chose the 3.0 for trackday duty specifically because of this

y2blade

54,729 posts

103 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
RemyMartin said:
Still a quick car by 21st century standards?
yes Yes.

flatline84

1,060 posts

45 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Output Flange said:
Twin oil pickups, better head design, variable timing on inlet and exhaust cams - yes, it's better. Not sure why it's more expensive to run, though? And if you say VANOS you can leave now...
All that and 200 ccm more and it still only on average produces 15-20 bhp more?

Crook

4,118 posts

112 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Crook said:
I bought a 3.0l over a 3.2 specifically because of the VANOS.
I may not be being 100% serious...

Output Flange

14,610 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
flatline84 said:
Is being vary of the vanos such a controversial issue? I Have two friends who chose the 3.0 for trackday duty specifically because of this
And did they fit the Evo twin pickup sump and the GrN restrictor valve needed on the 3.0 to avoid grenading the engine?

Most Vanos issues can be either ignored completely or fixed relatively cheaply. Long gone are the days of £2000 replacements, when often £20 of soldering will fix it.

Worst case is the timing sticks in one position and you get a lumpy idle and a 40bhp drop in power. I'd rather that than an oil starved engine, personally.

Fox-

11,552 posts

134 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Output Flange said:
Twin oil pickups, better head design, variable timing on inlet and exhaust cams - yes, it's better. Not sure why it's more expensive to run, though? And if you say VANOS you can leave now...
The 3.0 doesn't require the valve clearance inspection that rockets the cost of an Inspection 1 or 2 on an E36 M3 Evo or an E46 M3 into the stratosphere, therefore making it cheaper to run.

Output Flange

14,610 posts

99 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Fox- said:
The 3.0 doesn't require the valve clearance inspection that rockets the cost of an Inspection 1 or 2 on an E36 M3 Evo or an E46 M3 into the stratosphere, therefore making it cheaper to run.
Hmmm. I'd suggest that if you're worried about spending £200-300 on valve clearances at each inspection 2 then you're probably looking at the wrong car to start with.

Fox-

11,552 posts

134 months

[news] 
Tuesday 1st May 2012 quote quote all
Output Flange said:
Hmmm. I'd suggest that if you're worried about spending £200-300 on valve clearances at each inspection 2 then you're probably looking at the wrong car to start with.
Sadly 75% of used M3 buyers are looking at the wrong car to start with, which is why so many are fitted with 'Event' or 'Primewell' tyres.
1 2 ... 11 12
14 15 ... 23 24
Reply to Topic