Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
4 5 ... 10 11
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

rohrl

5,325 posts

31 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Powerrr said:
I seen P1's and thought about Impreza's.

getmecoat
This was my assumption too. What's a P1 if it isn't a two-door Impreza?

I once went to Aberystwyth and back in a teacher's Mk2 Fiesta. No alloys on that car though, standard or otherwise.

Snowboy

8,027 posts

37 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Jamie VTS said:
But your childs teacher is not a stranger? They are someone whos job it is to look after the well being of your children for 6 hours a day 5 days a week. I would agree that had they flagged down passing motorists or stuck them on the bus that would be wrong.
I don’t disagree with that first sentence at all.
I trust teachers to look after kids at school.

I don’t however implicitly trust all teachers to drive kids round in their car.

Triumph Man

3,025 posts

54 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
ZOMG!!! Non-standard alloys! They must have been a chavvy teacher. What trim level was it OP? This too can have a bearing on the suitabilitymeter and peadometer.


Jamie VTS

708 posts

33 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Snowboy said:
I don’t disagree with that first sentence at all.
I trust teachers to look after kids at school.

I don’t however implicitly trust all teachers to drive kids round in their car.
Obviously the ideal situation would have been a little more planning by the school to ensure enough seats on the bus! Would you rather your child to be driven by the teacher to the school trip or the whole trip have to be cancelled?

This thread reminds me of the thread in the lounge about taking photos of your own kids, where does this end?

Deva Link

26,934 posts

131 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
samoht said:
I generally think parents should give schools the benefit of the doubt, to be honest. I would consider a normal car safer than a minibus, especially those god-awful LDV things from the 70s.

Insurance isn't your concern, it's the school's. Non-standard alloy wheels are irrelevant.

The only thing remiss is that a 5-year-old should be in an appropriate seat. I would photocopy the relevant section of the law (eg http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#kids... , and send a letter to the head saying that you appreciate them running the trip, but would ask that they use the legally-required car seat in future, and that you are happy to bring your child's seat in to school on the day if they let you know.
Agree with all that. Insurance isn't an really an issue for the OP as the insurer would be forced to pay out anyway in the event of injury to the child.

It would be a bit stupid of the teacher to use the car for the trip if she doesn't have biz use cover but my daughter is a teacher and she has it. The teacher would also be in trouble if stopped for not having the correct child seats. So it could have been a very expensive day out for the teacher.

Edited by Deva Link on Tuesday 22 May 12:18

Advertisement

uuf361

2,483 posts

108 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Whilst I'm guessing this is not an ideal situation, would you have preferred your child had been left out of the school trip (ignoring the fact that proper planning might have got the correct sized bus/coach in the first place) ? Surely they would have been vastly more unhappy about being excluded. Were they in any way injured or traumatised by the journey ?

Some parents would probably then moan about their child being excluded etc.

I think society today is H&S mad - I rode round in a car without a seatbelt on until they became law (mostly as the cars didn't have them) - I am not yet dead as a consequence to my knowledge.

Not that it's a good situation either but up until the age of 13 I sometimes (once or twice a year) rode in the boot of my parents car on short journeys (not that it makes any difference I guess as accidents can happen at anytime)- similarly I didn't die but was marginally not comfortable for a few minutes.....

I'd probably be thanking the school for ensuring that my child was included and the teachers went out of their way to ensure all the kids got on the school trip and for using their own transport for which they probably weren't even reimbursed.......

CampDavid

8,679 posts

84 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Morons, like to OP, are the reason that people don't go into teaching.

Just tell them that you don't want them to take part in any school trips and save everyone a load of hassle.

St John Smythe

4,588 posts

103 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
billzeebub said:
throughout my school going days im the late 80s and 90s I would regularly be given lifts in teachers cars, both during school hours and after. It was just part of a normal day. My parents were largely thankful and appreciative. However times and attitudes have obviously moved on necesitating the curtailment of such practices.
Me too. This thread is a load of bo11ocks smile

benjj

5,474 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
I am absolutely, 100% with the OP here.

If this had been my child I would be absolutely fking apoplectic with rage.

The school and teachers have a duty of care for all the kids under their supervision during school hours. They fvcked this one right up in several ways: lack of appropriate child seat/restraint (the worst fk up by far), no permission asked for sending a child in a teacher's car, no insurance declaration (to parents.)

I assume that the mention of the aftermarket wheels is to point out that if the teacher crashed, killing everyone, that the insurance company would wriggle out of paying. This would leave all the parents/families of dead kids left to sue the estate of the dead teacher. This would net them up to and including the square root of fk all anyway so nobody gets paid out. Well out of order.

When my daughter started her school we were provided with a pack on things just like this. It gave details of all school vehicles, information on where they were serviced and by whom. It gave details of who would be driving them and details on the insurance. Then it said they would never, ever take my child (in this perfectly serviceable and well driven) vehicle without my express permission. This is the 'right' way to do things.

I feel for you OP. You're not insane to be annoyed; this is a perfectly rational emotion. The people above who take the piss (presumably those who were the first to re-forward that email about still being alive despite being born in the 60's/70's/80's etc. ho ho) are in no position to tell you how you are over reacting. There are several teachers at my kids school who I wouldn't trust with a feather duster, let alone a car/kid combo.

St John Smythe

4,588 posts

103 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
benjj said:
If this had been my child I would be absolutely fking apoplectic with rage.
I think you have some issues there smile

CampDavid

8,679 posts

84 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
So if you're kid was killed you'd worry about the payout?

Seriously, that pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with society

benjj

5,474 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
St John Smythe said:
I think you have some issues there smile
Just one of many. I've got 99,999 problems and my kid being driven by a spastic geography teacher in a st car is most certainly one of them.

benjj

5,474 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
CampDavid said:
So if you're kid was killed you'd worry about the payout?

Seriously, that pretty much sums up everything that's wrong with society
If you change that around a bit you end up with the justification of pretty much every insurance dodger out there. Nice work.

uuf361

2,483 posts

108 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Perhaps the schools should just cancel all excursions to keep some parents happy rolleyes

In fact, let's have all children chaperoned by one of the parents in all classes and at all times on school property so they can take care of little Johnny themselves rolleyes

There is no evidence (to date) that I've seen suggesting the teacher didn't have the appropriate insurance nor that the alloy wheels had not bee declared as a modification to the insurers so there's a bit a gun jumping going on.


Jamie VTS

708 posts

33 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
benjj said:
I am absolutely, 100% with the OP here.

If this had been my child I would be absolutely fking apoplectic with rage.

The school and teachers have a duty of care for all the kids under their supervision during school hours. They fvcked this one right up in several ways: lack of appropriate child seat/restraint (the worst fk up by far), no permission asked for sending a child in a teacher's car, no insurance declaration (to parents.)

I assume that the mention of the aftermarket wheels is to point out that if the teacher crashed, killing everyone, that the insurance company would wriggle out of paying. This would leave all the parents/families of dead kids left to sue the estate of the dead teacher. This would net them up to and including the square root of fk all anyway so nobody gets paid out. Well out of order.

When my daughter started her school we were provided with a pack on things just like this. It gave details of all school vehicles, information on where they were serviced and by whom. It gave details of who would be driving them and details on the insurance. Then it said they would never, ever take my child (in this perfectly serviceable and well driven) vehicle without my express permission. This is the 'right' way to do things.

I feel for you OP. You're not insane to be annoyed; this is a perfectly rational emotion. The people above who take the piss (presumably those who were the first to re-forward that email about still being alive despite being born in the 60's/70's/80's etc. ho ho) are in no position to tell you how you are over reacting. There are several teachers at my kids school who I wouldn't trust with a feather duster, let alone a car/kid combo.
Are you serious?

benjj

5,474 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Jamie VTS said:
benjj said:
I said stuff.
Are you serious?
Yes, absolutely. Do you have kids?

Jamie VTS

708 posts

33 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
benjj said:
Yes, absolutely. Do you have kids?
No I did however spend 18 years being one.

benjj

5,474 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
Jamie VTS said:
No I did however spend 18 years being one.
So, let me get this straight... You are questioning the judgement of a parent even though you're not one?

davetibbs

136 posts

32 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all

Jamie VTS

708 posts

33 months

[news] 
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 quote quote all
benjj said:
So, let me get this straight... You are questioning the judgement of a parent even though you're not one?
I am questioning why you would be so furious if someone paid to look after the well being of your child decided to drive them to a school trip. The only problem I can see is the apparent lack of child seat.

ETA: Quite why you would need to know where they get their vehicle serviced is beyond me, although as you have said I am not a parent so who am i to judge! smile

Edited by Jamie VTS on Tuesday 22 May 12:42

1 2
4 5 ... 10 11
Reply to Topic