Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 299 300
302 303 ... 504 505
TOPIC CLOSED
Author Discussion

Allblackdup

3,292 posts

88 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
ODJ said:
Let's try and re start the saab 9-5 Aero buying craze. This is my old car sold to another threadist Allblackdup.
Cheers Oli! smile

Right now it's only doing a few miles a week which is a complete waste of a great car. My circumstances have changed twice this year. Firstly when I sold my diesel Passat and bought the Saab and again recently where I'm now only a few miles from work. It's a very good car but it's just not getting used now.

Edited by Allblackdup on Friday 12th October 22:28

BeirutTaxi

5,472 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
E38Ross said:
you know what you really want. you want a barge in approx 12 months....one that's in E38 flavour, has been well looked after and gets reasonable economy for a mates rate winkhehe
Hmm as much as I want a W140/Bismark class battle ship an E38 does appeal. You're missing 6 bangers though. I guess both are great for pushing those awful LS400's off the road.


On a separate note, what do we think of this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Honda-Accord-Coupe-...

Ignore the badge I reckon. A fellow engineer at work thoroughly recommends these. Super reliable, comfortable and very spacious. I don't have any personal experience of these cars, however.

Being Japanese I can't imagine that part prices are too bad either.

Rollcage

11,066 posts

72 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
Hmm as much as I want a W140/Bismark class battle ship an E38 does appeal. You're missing 6 bangers though. I guess both are great for pushing those awful LS400's off the road.


On a separate note, what do we think of this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Honda-Accord-Coupe-...

Ignore the badge I reckon. A fellow engineer at work thoroughly recommends these. Super reliable, comfortable and very spacious. I don't have any personal experience of these cars, however.

Being Japanese I can't imagine that part prices are too bad either.
I do hope I'm missing some irony here! hehe

BeirutTaxi

5,472 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Rollcage said:
I do hope I'm missing some irony here! hehe
Being mainstream Japanese. I can't imagine LS parts are comparatively cheap?

Rollcage

11,066 posts

72 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I don't have direct experience of that particular Honda, but IME Jap parts are NOT usually cheap.
Advertisement

BeirutTaxi

5,472 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Some example part prices for the 1998 Honda Accord 2.0 posted above. All prices taken from Euro Car Parts.

Circoli Thermostat Part No.: 20960001J
£13.14

EIS Radiator Part No.: 203600440
£110.40

Circoli Water Pump Part No.: 201600071
£33.54


Pretty good prices IMO. No worse than my 1.2 Seat/VW.

SimonConnell

144 posts

76 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Rollcage said:
Volvo specialist/dealer by any chance? I'm sure it's legitimate, but that's not an advisory I've seen very often. Might be wanting to get some money out of you! wink

Sand them down and repaint.
Interestingly, no - a local(ish) place that was recommended to me for MOTs about five years ago and I've been using them since (but not for servicing - I use independent specialists for each marque). They're trustworthy but probably err on the side of being too critical - I got an advisory on my number plates on another car because there were early signs of some de-lamination at the very edge. I suppose their default mindset is "how bad might this get in 11 months before we see it again?"

Stedman said:
Speak to MRG in Chippenham, and maybe join a forum that is connected well with them.

The cost becomes a lot more palatable that way.
Thanks, I'll look into that. It's a lovely drive down the A4 to Chippenham too...

volks al

4,033 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I just cannot get a classic merc out of my head, and having just aquired a garage doesn't help.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C250347

Or this and the seller has the same surname so surely he should give a good price?!

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C316849


Fox-

10,716 posts

126 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
Some example part prices for the 1998 Honda Accord 2.0 posted above. All prices taken from Euro Car Parts.

Circoli Thermostat Part No.: 20960001J
£13.14

EIS Radiator Part No.: 203600440
£110.40

Circoli Water Pump Part No.: 201600071
£33.54
Thats because they are not Jap parts they are cheapo pattern parts..

confused_buyer

2,388 posts

61 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
Hmm as much as I want a W140/Bismark class battle ship an E38 does appeal. You're missing 6 bangers though. I guess both are great for pushing those awful LS400's off the road.
I assume you're being tongue in cheek. Having owned 2 W140's and 4 LS400's of various models the LS400 is more refined, faster, more comfortable, rides better, vastly better built, handles better.....it is a much better car than the W140 in all that matters and no wonder Mercedes had to discount the W140 by massive amounts to sell them.

That doesn't mean a W140 is without appeal - it is the only "regular" barge which transcends into the really large Bentley/RR barge of the era in terms of size and driving experience. The reality though is that even a S500 would struggle to keep up with a LS400 on the open road. A S600 maybe.

The W140 is a bit of a mixture but any barge lover should own one once but it is not, in any rational sense, anywhere near as good as it needed to be at the time.

cmoose

23,164 posts

109 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
confused_buyer said:
I assume you're being tongue in cheek. Having owned 2 W140's and 4 LS400's of various models the LS400 is more refined, faster, more comfortable, rides better, vastly better built, handles better.....it is a much better car than the W140 in all that matters and no wonder Mercedes had to discount the W140 by massive amounts to sell them.

That doesn't mean a W140 is without appeal - it is the only "regular" barge which transcends into the really large Bentley/RR barge of the era in terms of size and driving experience. The reality though is that even a S500 would struggle to keep up with a LS400 on the open road. A S600 maybe.

The W140 is a bit of a mixture but any barge lover should own one once but it is not, in any rational sense, anywhere near as good as it needed to be at the time.
Not really convinced most of that matters. Certainly couldn't give a toss about outright A to B pace. That applies to driver's cars, much less barges.

An analogy here might be, say, BMW E30 M3 vs BMW 1M. The latter is much faster, has more grip, more of everything objective. But it's basically dull and insulated to drive, where the inferior E30 is much more involving and fun.

For me, similar psychology applies to barges. A new Merc E Class has an early W124 licked by most objective metrics, but it's not nearly as satisfying to drive. I think it's probably the sense of being in the presence / at the helm of something truly special in engineering terms, the quality of the materials, that sort of thing. It's digital / quartz watch versus swiss chronometer. The former is the better objective time piece. The latter is the one that gives pleasure.

As good as the Lexus is, it's a bit naff inside and the overall experience for me is that of the very finest minicab ever conceived. You're equally insulated from the good sort of mechanical feedback as the bad. The Merc is a bit more aristocratic than that.

In the end, it's all highly subjective and just one opinion versus another, of course. But for me the Lexus' objective merits only count for so much.

Baryonyx

8,851 posts

39 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
cmoose said:
As good as the Lexus is, it's a bit naff inside and the overall experience for me is that of the very finest minicab ever conceived. You're equally insulated from the good sort of mechanical feedback as the bad. The Merc is a bit more aristocratic than that.
A good point well made.

FWIW, I love both of the cars and I'd struggle to choose one if I was going for either. The Lexus is engineered to the hilt and has a typically Japanese character, which is a good thing. The Mercedes says 'high end diplomat' to me, also an attractive quality. Ultimately, I think I would probably end up going for the Mercedes of the two just because of it's historic qualities. I can imagine driving it, fleet of foot, through Paris on the way to a meeting.

I have, in the past, sat in my A8 and dreamed of making calls to the Bundestag circa 1999 on the in-car phone...

mark seeker

552 posts

87 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
This looks good? (Apologies if repost)

AGUAR XJ XJ8 4.0 4DR AUTO -1 OWNER-11 STAMP JAGUAR HISTORY-, 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 2000 W Reg, 151,000 miles, Metallic Iridium Silver. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Child locks, Climate Control, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Front armrest, Electrically adjustable seats, Leather upholstery, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Tinted glass. Insurance Group:17E, 1 OWNER FROM NEW - 11 STAMP MAIN DEALER JAGUAR SERVICE HISTORY - MOT TILL MARCH 2013 WITH NO ADVISORIES - AVERAGE MOTORWAY MILEAGE (12K PER YEAR) TRAVELING BETWEEN CHESHIRE AND NORTH WALES EVERY DAY - OUTSTANDING CAR IN A FABULOUS COLOUR COMBO - PRESTIGEOUS AND STYLISH - DESIRABLE 4.0 V8 GIVES THIS A SILKY SMOOTH LIMOUSINE FEEL -BURR WALNUT DASH AND CAPPINGS THROUGHOUT - SENSIBLE RUNNING COSTS - DRIVES VERY WELL - 2 SETS OF KEYS - GOOD CONDITION THROUGHOUT - MUST BE SEEN - NOW GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY - ALL THE RIGHT CREDENTIALS - RING TO VIEW ANYTME!, £1,575


http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000W-JAGUAR-XJ-SERIES-X...

XB70

1,781 posts

76 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
confused_buyer said:
The reality though is that even a S500 would struggle to keep up with a LS400 on the open road. A S600 maybe.
Have to disagree with that. My ls430 would be about equal to an s500 point to point on a b road where the ls suspension would allow it to be pushed a little harder. An ls400 would fall behind.

As for an s600, even my car would not stand a chance against one.

Provided the suspension is not shot, the s500 and s600's are very very rapid backroad cars.




thunderbelmont

2,956 posts

104 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
Motorrad said:
Volvo for everyday.......weekend car will likely be a 996 Turbo biggrin
bouncebouncebounce

One of my favourite cars... and this review is one of my favs as well biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0IaFMpJRU

Edited by BeirutTaxi on Friday 12th October 15:50
You like a Volvo - how about a cheap T5... yeah, it's ex-plod, but it'll go on for ever..

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use...

BigBen

7,198 posts

110 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
confused_buyer said:
in any rational sense, anywhere near as good as it needed to be at the time.
Is that why Autocar made a case for it being the best car in the world at launch?

Ben

confused_buyer

2,388 posts

61 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
cmoose said:
I think it's probably the sense of being in the presence / at the helm of something truly special in engineering terms, the quality of the materials, that sort of thing. It's digital / quartz watch versus swiss chronometer. The former is the better objective time piece. The latter is the one that gives pleasure.

As good as the Lexus is, it's a bit naff inside and the overall experience for me is that of the very finest minicab ever conceived. You're equally insulated from the good sort of mechanical feedback as the bad. The Merc is a bit more aristocratic than that.
The problem is in my opinion you can aim all those at both the Lexus and W140. The W140 has massive size on its side but the reality is the interior isn't that special on the vast majority of models. Maybe not on a highly specified S600 but on most models the leather is inferior to the Lexus, a standard fit Sony CD player hardly upmarket and it lacks a surprising amount of noise insulation despite the double glazed windows. I understand what you're saying, just that I don't think a W140 meets the criteria.

confused_buyer

2,388 posts

61 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
XB70 said:
Have to disagree with that. My ls430 would be about equal to an s500 point to point on a b road where the ls suspension would allow it to be pushed a little harder. An ls400 would fall behind.

As for an s600, even my car would not stand a chance against one.

Provided the suspension is not shot, the s500 and s600's are very very rapid backroad cars.
Yeah, I'd agree you can hustle a W140 way faster than you can imagine you ever should be able to. I think the issue with the S500 is the throttle response is pretty poor in the Mercedes way so it never feels as fast as perhaps it is.

S600 is a different kettle of fish.

A W140 is a car every barge fan should own at least once - they have a unique appeal - but in absolute terms I've never been convined they are actually as good as they should have been for the cost and engineering.

confused_buyer

2,388 posts

61 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
BigBen said:
Is that why Autocar made a case for it being the best car in the world at launch?

Ben
It might have been at launch (a launch Mercedes had to delay because they were still fiddling with it) but by the mid-90's it was really, really struggling against the like of the E38 in the market place hence a lot of discounts etc.

Don't get me wrong - I love the W140 - all I am saying is that for a car which cost what it did to both develop and buy, which introduced so many innovations, quite a few models seem to be less than the sum of their parts.

BeirutTaxi

5,472 posts

94 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
thunderbelmont said:
You like a Volvo - how about a cheap T5... yeah, it's ex-plod, but it'll go on for ever..

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use...
Volvo's are OK but the bounce referred to the 996 Turbo lol. Derestrictor had a lot of praise for his IIRC.
1 2 ... 299 300
302 303 ... 504 505
TOPIC CLOSED