Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

forzaminardi

1,287 posts

75 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
greggy50 said:
Re-design and a new gearbox just to sell a few hundred to enthusiasts? no fking chance frown
It wouldn't be redesigned, all they'd need to do is stick a proper gearbox in. I assume Renault/Nissan, somewhere in their range, still uses a manual box?

TameRacingDriver

9,450 posts

160 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Gilhooligan said:
I'll take a PH1 in rare sunflower yellow thanks wink
Yeah me too, as long as the suspension wasn't broken. And as long as I don't have to pay for it.

greggy50

4,275 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
forzaminardi said:
It wouldn't be redesigned, all they'd need to do is stick a proper gearbox in. I assume Renault/Nissan, somewhere in their range, still uses a manual box?
Can't see it happening and even so would still be fugly, too heavy and have a silly engine note. If they have gone to the trouble of developing a new gearbox cant see them offering an alternative as can charge more this way but offering what some people will see as a desirable thing.

The 200 was n/a as well know turbos are the way forward but either way think it was the last of the truly great renaultsport clios. I think what they are trying to do is offer a cut price Golf GTI etc.. rival and this means this car is doomed for failure they are several renaultsport owners on this thread and all have said they don't like it so appears they have fked up quite badly on this one.

roystinho

1,596 posts

63 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
As a bit of a Renaultsport fanboy I'm a little disappointed. I can almost forgive the 5 door thing as I think they've pulled it off quite well, but DCT only, no bespoke body panels so could look like a regular clio, loss of Brembos, no recaros isn't what I'd want. The turbo isn't my cup of tea either, but again, emissions etc I can understand alongside the financial strains that Renault are under.

On the plus side it could be the next family car with the new spec, but it won't be replacing the Clio V6 as the fun machine anytime soon. Let's see what initial reviews of the drive say, as well as the all important drive myself. Bit of a long shot, but if anyone can do it, the boys from Dieppe can pull off a drivers car so a purchase maybe on the cards

hoban81

54 posts

34 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
The frog has had to much cheese. To big, and 5 door only. Also no manual, at least give an option on these things, considering how much it will cost.

As said earlier the turbo was inevitable. R.i.p clio sport, game over just like the 206 gti, 207 gti.
Advertisement

Ninjaboy

2,525 posts

138 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
OMG thats vile, well done Renault you have confirmed that the best days are behind you that isn;t progress it's a leap backwards. No wonder Renault are up st creek.

TameRacingDriver

9,450 posts

160 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
As much as I agree with the sentiments of some of the comments, haven't we heard all of this "last of breed" comment before with the likes of the Williams, 182, and now 200. Remember, the 5 GTT was FI'd so its done a circle... the gearbox, cheesy engine noise, sign of the times I'm afraid. When this model is discontinued, I look forward to the next "end of the hot hatch" type thread biggrin

Papa Hotel

12,753 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
I think that's pretty conclusive then, a resounding "NO" from PistonHeads.

Things are a bit different over on www.renaultsport.co.uk though. Some minor grumbling but all-in-all, they're dribbling over it.

Charlie Michael

2,468 posts

72 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
The frenchie hot hatch battle is swinging again. Peugeot, this is your time to snatch an awful lot of Renault sales.

HereBeMonsters

13,491 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Charlie Michael said:
The frenchie hot hatch battle is swinging again. Peugeot, this is your time to snatch an awful lot of Renault sales.
It does seem to be the "least terrible looking". I just hope they're not playing on the 205 GTI name like they did with the 207 (GTI'm back...) and can actually back up the claim. I'd like to drive one.

Papa Hotel

12,753 posts

70 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Charlie Michael said:
Peugeot, this is your time to snatch an awful lot of Renault sales.
rofl

Anyone in the market for a car like this will not look past the quartet of Cooper S, Corsa VXR, Renaultsport Clio or Fiesta ST (if they ever get round to it), Peugeot haven't got a look in.

Quacker

20 posts

42 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Auto only. Someone, somewhere in Renault has probably given that much more thought than I have but - what the hell were they thinking.

I could get over the overall look of the thing and the extra doors if it was N/A and manual. Even if it was turbo charged and manual. Christ.

Charlie Michael

2,468 posts

72 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Papa Hotel said:
rofl

Anyone in the market for a car like this will not look past the quartet of Cooper S, Corsa VXR, Renaultsport Clio or Fiesta ST (if they ever get round to it), Peugeot haven't got a look in.
Possibly, but then I know of a couple of people who only buy french for their ability to release some properly driver-orientated cars. Peugeot have been very wayward in recent years and the 208 is the first car i've looked at and wanted to drive.


HereBeMonsters said:
Charlie Michael said:
The frenchie hot hatch battle is swinging again. Peugeot, this is your time to snatch an awful lot of Renault sales.
It does seem to be the "least terrible looking". I just hope they're not playing on the 205 GTI name like they did with the 207 (GTI'm back...) and can actually back up the claim. I'd like to drive one.
I'd love to drive one.

RobertDB7V12

52 posts

52 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Fake engine noise is like a fake o*g*sm. Why bother?
Either it makes a good noise or borrow someone from Alfa to sort the pipes.

roystinho

1,596 posts

63 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Papa Hotel said:
Charlie Michael said:
Peugeot, this is your time to snatch an awful lot of Renault sales.
rofl

Anyone in the market for a car like this will not look past the quartet of Cooper S, Corsa VXR, Renaultsport Clio or Fiesta ST (if they ever get round to it), Peugeot haven't got a look in.
Peugeot have already said the GTi will be softer than the clio, however, if they bring a 'R' version out like the RCZ R then that could be a contender.

Also lets not forget the first version of the new Renaultsport is never the best (bar the 250 megane which still has got better, but was great to start with), regular 172, 197, megane 225 compared to 182 Trophy, 200, R26.R, so it'll get better over time no doubt.

Let's hope new versions get LSD, better brakes, maybe include them in the cup pack?

MSTRBKR

6,054 posts

86 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
Any one of the 3 major changes (5 door, 1.6 turbo or auto) would have been okay for me, but not all 3. I'm usually one to embrace new cars, but not this time.

The non-Renaultsport looks better, and somehow it's just the front light clusters and bumper which are managing to completely ruin it. Clearly the range is moving up in size, so I suppose that the Twingo will take the old Clio's place. If only it could lose the flat rear hatch.

Though it's going to be quite a bit quicker with 192bhp/ton instead of 159bhp/ton.

greggy50

4,275 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 27th September 2012 quote quote all
MSTRBKR said:
Any one of the 3 major changes (5 door, 1.6 turbo or auto) would have been okay for me, but not all 3. I'm usually one to embrace new cars, but not this time.

The non-Renaultsport looks better, and somehow it's just the front light clusters and bumper which are managing to completely ruin it. Clearly the range is moving up in size, so I suppose that the Twingo will take the old Clio's place. If only it could lose the flat rear hatch.

Though it's going to be quite a bit quicker with 192bhp/ton instead of 159bhp/ton.
192 bhp a tonne would mean this would have to weight around 1025 kg that cant be correct surely...
With the flappy gearbox which will weigh more doubt will be much better than 165 per tonne or so.

scholesy

143 posts

50 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
This really makes me wince, I loved my 182 (except the dire build quality) and I quite fancied a 197 when they were new. This has lost all appeal to me. I think this has been styled by fools and designed by accountants, 5 door shape common to the range to save tooling costs etc, it stinks of it. I really hope Renault fail with this one just so they have to come back with a better effort.

Colonial

11,439 posts

93 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
So, on the one hand VW gets lambasted for not changing enough.

Renaultsport for changing too much.

What are we? A bunch of fking goldilocks?

hotmelt

861 posts

61 months

[news] 
Friday 28th September 2012 quote quote all
Looks great. Only problem is throttle response. And, yes, no Recaros.
1 2 ... 6 7
9 10
Reply to Topic