Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 12 13
15 16 ... 19 20
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Liquid Knight

11,936 posts

66 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I used to think my 45bhp 700Kg Fiat Panda wasn't fast but since I've driven my dad Hyundai Accent Coupe' I now know it's rapid. wink

driverrob

3,703 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
AC43 said:
.... the financial fair play version.

On the latter you divide the BHP/Tonne figure by the trade-in value of your car and multiply by 100.
Would that be similar to the BPB (Bangs per Buck) score?

My GTO: 150 bhp/tonne /£2,000 x 100 = 7.5

MocMocaMoc

1,524 posts

24 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I have a 106 GTi after driving a VX220 Turbo for years. The GTi is not 'fast', but it's equally as fun, and cost me 12 grand less...

I dare say I'd give any 'fast' car a run for its money cross country, but that's not the point.

walsh

Original Poster:

481 posts

42 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
driverrob said:
Would that be similar to the BPB (Bangs per Buck) score?

My GTO: 150 bhp/tonne /£2,000 x 100 = 7.5
Now this I like!

132 Bph/tonne / £800 x100 = 16.5 spin

Liquid Knight

11,936 posts

66 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
walsh said:
driverrob said:
Would that be similar to the BPB (Bangs per Buck) score?

My GTO: 150 bhp/tonne /£2,000 x 100 = 7.5
Now this I like!

132 Bph/tonne / £800 x100 = 16.5 spin
64bhp/Tonne / £300 x 100 = 21.42

Advertisement

AC43

2,727 posts

91 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Liquid Knight said:
walsh said:
driverrob said:
Would that be similar to the BPB (Bangs per Buck) score?

My GTO: 150 bhp/tonne /£2,000 x 100 = 7.5
Now this I like!

132 Bph/tonne / £800 x100 = 16.5 spin
64bhp/Tonne / £300 x 100 = 21.42
We have a winner :-)

BigBen

7,355 posts

113 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
AC43 said:
On PH, however, there is a very different demographic where 200bhp/ton doesn't really cut it and you need to get past 300bhp/ton to be considered quick (I mean the figure not the person BTW). And even then the arms race quickly kicks in and you get cars with a vastly better power to weight ratio.

So, in summary, 170 bhp/ton probably puts me in the top 10% or ever 5% of road users but in that last 5% there is a massive way to go and many of those folks post here.
But the question was not is your car fast compared to the rest of PH.

If your car is in the top 10% / 5% of road users, which it probably is, then you have what 90% of people consider a fast car. Therefore you have a fast car.

I suspect it is more people get used to their cars so they don't feel as fast as when they first got them so in their minds they are not fast....

Ben

RB Will

3,873 posts

123 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Seems to be a bit of a trend going here.

We have people with really slow cars who willingly admit it.

People with genuinely (compared to most cars on the road) rapid cars who are being humble about the performance as although they have a quick car they know there is stuff out there to eat them alive.

People with distinctly average cars who are desperate to say they are quick in some way or another.

y2blade

54,151 posts

98 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Cars are NOT fast.
Motorbikes are though.

blackiepaul

1,854 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I think that is down to what bikes and what cars you are talking about.

A couple of my cars are they fast? - yes

y2blade said:
Cars are NOT fast.
Motorbikes are though.

Pixelpeep

2,534 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
y2blade said:
Cars are NOT fast.
Motorbikes are though.
Thanks for that Mr Blade. Unfortunately the statement is completely redundant in a thread entitled 'So, is your CAR fast'

otherwise we would get...

Motorbikes are NOT fast.
Jet fighters are though.

fushion julz

361 posts

56 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
AC43 said:
Well I think we'd need two versions - one which counts performance at any price (the Man City version) and the financial fair play version.

On the latter you divide the BHP/Tonne figure by the trade-in value of your car and multiply by 100.

Assuming the trade in value of mine is £7k I get a FFP number of 2.5. Enough to get into the Championship play offs, maybe.

(cue someone with a £1k supercharged Westfield to blow that theory out of the water)
I have a slightly tatty looking E36 328i SE 4-door saloon...
Probably worth circa £750 as a private sale and about £250 as a trade in...
It does have 193bhp, though, although I've not had it dyno'd it does feel like a strong engine...
Weighs 1400Kg
So:
138/250 x 100 = 55.2

My M3, though, has 220bhp, weighs 1250kg but the trade in value? no idea, but it must be around £7,000

176/7000 x 100 = 2.5




sinizter

3,348 posts

69 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Used to have a fast car (E92 M3)

I now have a slightly faster than average car (E60 530D)

StottyZr

4,850 posts

46 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
MocMocaMoc said:
I have a 106 GTi after driving a VX220 Turbo for years. The GTi is not 'fast', but it's equally as fun, and cost me 12 grand less...

I dare say I'd give any 'fast' car a run for its money cross country, but that's not the point.
I can't praise mine enough.

Its a lovely little car. Great fun.

The 123d will be up for sale soon, I like the GTi more than it, and the GTis faster hehe

Edit: Just realised I don't want this on the internet....

Edited by StottyZr on Friday 5th October 11:56

LuS1fer

31,684 posts

128 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
462hp Mustang GT is fast and feels fast. Though I have tickled its limits, I wouldn't really want anything faster that would give traction issues and spoil the fun or get too lairy.

Mondeo 2.0 isn't.
Fiesta ST is fast enough but not necessarily refined enough while it is being fast enough.

mikeveal

1,726 posts

133 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
bqf said:
The title of the thread is 'So, is your car fast?'
Eh? Is my car not a car in your eyes?
Or did I do something else wrong?

Pixelpeep

2,534 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
mikeveal said:
Eh? Is my car not a car in your eyes?
Or did I do something else wrong?
looks like a trike to me!

mikeveal

1,726 posts

133 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I'll bite.

It's got seats, seatbelts and a steering wheel. There are pedals for clutch, brake and go. It's driven on a car license and insured as a car. It even has a boot.

What makes you think that "trike" and "car" are mutually exclusive? I don't think that anyone would argue against a Reliant Robin being a car, or against a Scammell Scarab being a lorry.

What about the Iseta bubble car? Or a Morgan 30's runabout?


There are trikes that clearly aren't cars; the Can am Spyder, the Paiggio MP3 or any Boom Trike.

Krikkit

4,915 posts

64 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
StottyZr said:
MocMocaMoc said:
I have a 106 GTi after driving a VX220 Turbo for years. The GTi is not 'fast', but it's equally as fun, and cost me 12 grand less...

I dare say I'd give any 'fast' car a run for its money cross country, but that's not the point.
I can't praise mine enough.

Its a lovely little car. Great fun.

The 123d will be up for sale soon, I like the GTi more than it, and the GTis faster hehe

Edit: Just realised I don't want this on the internet....

Edited by StottyZr on Friday 5th October 11:56
Love my GTI-engined Rallye as well - it's quick enough to be extremely entertaining, yet you can absolutely hammer it and not worry too much about licence-losing speeds. biggrin

For PH I'm well down on bhp/ton though, at a measly 135.

FFP score? 135/1500*100, so about 90.

driverrob

3,703 posts

86 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Krikkit said:
FFP score? 135/1500*100, so about 9.
1 2 ... 12 13
15 16 ... 19 20
Reply to Topic