PistonHeads.com Forum

The Very Best of Russell Bulgin book - any for sale?

The Very Best of Russell Bulgin book - any for sale?

Author
Discussion

TobyTR

Original Poster:

26 posts

48 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all

Would anyone like to sell their copy to me for a substantial sum?...

Ozzie Osmond

18,262 posts

148 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
These things make hens teeth look rather common!

I've been on the lookout for years and found nothing.

CampDavid

8,902 posts

100 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
I phoned the publisher and, amazingly, he had one left, he sent it to me FOC and I bunged a donation to the Royal Marsden.

(and no, it's not for sale!)

TobyTR

Original Poster:

26 posts

48 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
I just missed out on eBay a few weeks ago, I fear this Unicorn may not become available again

TobyTR

Original Poster:

26 posts

48 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
How about a more sensible price like £150...
Advertisement

CarlT

3,352 posts

149 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
I had 2 copies, gave one as a present a number of years ago (should have kept it).
Still have one copy - was reading through it again the other day. Fantastic writings - especially the Lotus Carlton one.

belleair302

5,530 posts

109 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
It is both a tactile and hugely readable book. he is missed as a journalist, husband and no doubt friend by many. My copy is not for sale but if you find one, keep it.

Ozzie Osmond

18,262 posts

148 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
These things make hens teeth look rather common!

I've been on the lookout for years and found nothing.
As I was saying....

Deerfoot

2,831 posts

86 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
I have a copy which my late Father gave me for Christmas one year.

The personal e-mails at the back of the book are by far the most moving things Russell wrote.


s m

12,454 posts

105 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Gruntcarlt smile

Embryonic

2,486 posts

77 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Ok, I obviously know of Russell Bulgin, but I have no idea what's so special about this book. Anyone care to enlighten me?

hidetheelephants

11,076 posts

95 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Embryonic said:
Ok, I obviously know of Russell Bulgin, but I have no idea what's so special about this book. Anyone care to enlighten me?
He was a very good and highly opinionated motoring journalist; the book, an anthology of his writing, was published after his death by collegues and the proceeds donated to the Royal Marsden(presumably this is where he was treated for cancer).

Given its rarity it would seem like a good idea to do another print run? At least from the Marsden's PoV.

Embryonic

2,486 posts

77 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Thanks.

hidetheelephants said:
He was a very good and highly opinionated motoring journalist
This bit I know...

hidetheelephants said:
the book, an anthology of his writing, was published after his death by collegues and the proceeds donated to the Royal Marsden(presumably this is where he was treated for cancer).
...this bit, I didn't know. Interesting. I'd like to read it myself now, knowing all this, but it seems that's unlikely given the apparent value of this book.

Ozzie Osmond

18,262 posts

148 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Embryonic said:
I'd like to read it myself now, knowing all this, but it seems that's unlikely given the apparent value of this book.
I'll make a deal with you - whoever finds one first will lend to the other for a read!

Bill Foster

Embryonic

2,486 posts

77 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Ozzie Osmond said:
I'll make a deal with you - whoever finds one first will lend to the other for a read!

Bill Foster
You have a deal, sir!

LaurasOtherHalf

9,774 posts

98 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
or, you could approach the publishers with the idea of doing a second print run with the proceeds going to charity again?

danp

1,016 posts

164 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
or, you could approach the publishers with the idea of doing a second print run with the proceeds going to charity again?
put me on the list if this happens!

Blackpuddin

6,345 posts

107 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
If it's only the contents you're after then why not get one of the owners here to run off some photocopies.

Ben Turner

2 posts

38 months

Saturday 1st December 2012
quotequote all
Have one for sale in almost mint condition. (photos available) Don't know what it's worth now as I can't find any others for sale. Anybody interested make me an offer.

Stuart70

833 posts

85 months

Saturday 1st December 2012
quotequote all
Emailed Royal Marsden this morning with the suggestion of a new edition or higher value limited editon.

I would certainly be willing to pay a but for a high quality edition

Hopefully they will be keen

Stu