Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Jeff2002

Original Poster:

6 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
In the Red corner, I've looked at a 59 plate Quattro tdi priced at £16950 which has done 49k miles. It s the s line spec with 19" wheels and a Bose system which sounds really impressive.

In the other, but also red corner is a 2.0 tfsi, with 15000 miles. It's a '10 plate on offer through an approved audi dealer, priced at £18,950. It's the multi tronic, no bells or whistles apart from Bluetooth.

Bit of a chalk and cheese comparison, tdi v petrol. Manual v auto. 4 wd v 2 wd, but which do you guys reckon is the better proposition?

I do abut 13k miles per year and intend keeping it for 3 years or so.

veevee

1,207 posts

38 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
You might be asking this on the wrong website. Prepare to be inundated with suggestions of much better cars.

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
veevee said:
You might be asking this on the wrong website. Prepare to be inundated with suggestions of much better cars.
hehe


Jeff2002

Original Poster:

6 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
veevee said:
You might be asking this on the wrong website. Prepare to be inundated with suggestions of much better cars.
Yeah. Happens on other forums I frequent!!

Waugh-terfall

18,483 posts

87 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
One quick pointer, it won't be the Mutli-tronic (CVT), it'll be the S-Tronic Twin-Clutcher, which is an absolutely cracking gearbox.

If you work out a rough estimate of your fuel costs, which comes out on top?

I'm a sucker for toys, so the TDI looks good, but then the S-Tronic box is really good fun.

As I said, work out rough fuel costs and see what the values of similar, but 3yrs older are, factor in purchase prices and see what the cost differences are and how that makes you feel about either or... I take it you've given each a good, mixed drive?
Advertisement

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
If you really must buy a TT the 2 litre petrol is the better car, more nimble and better noise. But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??

As above, I'd pass on both and get something decent for that money. I mean, you could get yourself in a Cayman if a two seater is what you are after.



Edited by DoubleSix on Friday 5th October 18:14

Jeff2002

Original Poster:

6 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Waugh-terfall said:
One quick pointer, it won't be the Mutli-tronic (CVT), it'll be the S-Tronic Twin-Clutcher, which is an absolutely cracking gearbox.

If you work out a rough estimate of your fuel costs, which comes out on top?

I'm a sucker for toys, so the TDI looks good, but then the S-Tronic box is really good fun.

As I said, work out rough fuel costs and see what the values of similar, but 3yrs older are, factor in purchase prices and see what the cost differences are and how that makes you feel about either or... I take it you've given each a good, mixed drive?
Using the official figures, the tdi would stand to save about £1700 in fuel over 3 years. It's cheaper too, but I'm just mindful of the potential for consumables/repairs that will need sooner attention by virtue of the higher miles.

Tried to do a comparison to predict value by looking at value of cars 3 years older with 36000 more miles, but difficult as the tdi not been round as long.

Not driven the petrol s-tronic yet, the one I have in mind is a couple of hours drive away, whereas the tdi is just down the road.

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

Jeff2002

Original Poster:

6 posts

25 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
DoubleSix said:
If you really must buy a TT the 2 litre petrol is the better car, more nimble and better noise. But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??

As above, I'd pass on both and get something decent for that money. I mean, you could get yourself in a Cayman if a two seater is what you are after.



Edited by DoubleSix on Friday 5th October 18:14

It's not necessarily a two seater I'm after, the TT has that little (ok very little) extra practicality which means that I should still be able to load my drums int it, even if a small 'cocktail' kit

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Jeff2002 said:
DoubleSix said:
If you really must buy a TT the 2 litre petrol is the better car, more nimble and better noise. But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??

As above, I'd pass on both and get something decent for that money. I mean, you could get yourself in a Cayman if a two seater is what you are after.



Edited by DoubleSix on Friday 5th October 18:14

It's not necessarily a two seater I'm after, the TT has that little (ok very little) extra practicality which means that I should still be able to load my drums int it, even if a small 'cocktail' kit
Well, you'll fit a LOT more in Cayman and might actual enjoy driving it too! Jus saying.... smile

Mr Gear

9,135 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
DoubleSix said:
Jeff2002 said:
DoubleSix said:
If you really must buy a TT the 2 litre petrol is the better car, more nimble and better noise. But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??

As above, I'd pass on both and get something decent for that money. I mean, you could get yourself in a Cayman if a two seater is what you are after.



Edited by DoubleSix on Friday 5th October 18:14

It's not necessarily a two seater I'm after, the TT has that little (ok very little) extra practicality which means that I should still be able to load my drums int it, even if a small 'cocktail' kit
Well, you'll fit a LOT more in Cayman and might actual enjoy driving it too! Jus saying.... smile
Might find it's more expensive to tax, insure, service, fit tyres for, worse in the snow and ice, might think it looks worse... just sayin'.

Waugh-terfall

18,483 posts

87 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
DoubleSix said:
But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??
The Multitronic box has never been available on a TT, the mk-1 either had a 5 or 6-speed Manual, or the 6-speed DSG, the mk2 has always either had the 6-speed Manual or the 6-speed S-Tronic (DSG), 7-speed S-Tronic in the case of the RS.

Backtobasics

834 posts

70 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Mr Gear said:
DoubleSix said:
Jeff2002 said:
DoubleSix said:
If you really must buy a TT the 2 litre petrol is the better car, more nimble and better noise. But multitronic is 'orrible, but not heard of it on later cars, twin clutch surely??

As above, I'd pass on both and get something decent for that money. I mean, you could get yourself in a Cayman if a two seater is what you are after.



Edited by DoubleSix on Friday 5th October 18:14

It's not necessarily a two seater I'm after, the TT has that little (ok very little) extra practicality which means that I should still be able to load my drums int it, even if a small 'cocktail' kit
Well, you'll fit a LOT more in Cayman and might actual enjoy driving it too! Jus saying.... smile
Might find it's more expensive to tax, insure, service, fit tyres for, worse in the snow and ice, might think it looks worse... just sayin'.
Might actually be bought to drive and will be marginal on all of the above....just sayin'

Mr Gear

9,135 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Backtobasics said:
Might actually be bought to drive and will be marginal on all of the above....just sayin'
Leave that to the OP to decide.

If someone came on here asking which Boxster to go for, you don't get people saying "Have you considered an old Ferrari?"

But mention an Audi TT, and it's like you've just asked which Daewoo Matiz to go for.

TTs are not for everyone, but they are not without their merits either.

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Mr Gear said:
Leave that to the OP to decide.

If someone came on here asking which Boxster to go for, you don't get people saying "Have you considered an old Ferrari?"

But mention an Audi TT, and it's like you've just asked which Daewoo Matiz to go for.

TTs are not for everyone, but they are not without their merits either.
Just giving him options Mr Gear. Ultimately it will be very much his decision.

blank

2,259 posts

75 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Have you driven both / either?

The diesel TT is pretty boring.

F1GTRUeno

2,543 posts

105 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
We had a 2.0 DSG mk.II back in 07-08.

Was a wonderful thing actually, gearbox was smooth in auto mode and manual wasn't bad either. Sounded great for a 2.0 four pot as well, raspy.

Urban Sports

11,026 posts

90 months

DoubleSix

5,645 posts

63 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Urban Sports said:
Great shout, I wouldn't say no to either of our proposals! beer

Urban Sports

11,026 posts

90 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
DoubleSix said:
Urban Sports said:
Great shout, I wouldn't say no to either of our proposals! beer
Nor would I.

2
Reply to Topic