Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1
3 4
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

steveo3002

3,278 posts

59 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
cambelts are cheap and diy able

why not buy the cleanest one you can get and give it a good going over one weekend , be nice to teach the boy a few jobs

veevee

1,185 posts

36 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Skip a 1.4, it isn't absolutely essential for a learner/new driver to have something totally underpowered. Moving up the range will probably cost the same or less to buy, will (possibly) have been owned by a slightly different demographic. Learner driver insurance is the same for any car, and the cost of insurance once they pass will only range from massive, to slightly more massive, by going a couple of models up the range.

tyrewrecker

6,419 posts

39 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
steveo3002 said:
cambelts are cheap and diy able

why not buy the cleanest one you can get and give it a good going over one weekend , be nice to teach the boy a few jobs
Talk about missing the point

Nigel Worc's

6,815 posts

73 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
blueg33 said:
Am now looking at ads for Fabia's - Junior is not going to thank me, can I refer him to you smile
You can indeed lol.

My daughter ended up with an about 10 year old, 1.4 comfort model, all the bells and whistles, aircon, seperate temp controlled glove box !, electric windows, remote central locking etc.

If yours is a lad, as I expect, by you refering to him a junior, he can always make it look like a VRS.

I was very pleased with the quality of the car, not exactly BMW/Merc quality, but very good all the same.

And, they actually drive very nicely.

They are also cheaper than the more popular/desirable Golf




blueg33

Original Poster:

13,282 posts

109 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Nigel Worc's said:
You can indeed lol.

My daughter ended up with an about 10 year old, 1.4 comfort model, all the bells and whistles, aircon, seperate temp controlled glove box !, electric windows, remote central locking etc.

If yours is a lad, as I expect, by you refering to him a junior, he can always make it look like a VRS.

I was very pleased with the quality of the car, not exactly BMW/Merc quality, but very good all the same.

And, they actually drive very nicely.

They are also cheaper than the more popular/desirable Golf
Looks like the insurance is 1 group higher than the Golf at 5 rather than 4. But I have already found a reasonable looking one near here, so I will have a look. It could be a good call - thanks. If he goes for it and I find a good one, then I owe you a beer



Advertisement

Nigel Worc's

6,815 posts

73 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Actually, I wish to make it worse, just in case you show him the thread, this'll make him think he's lucky to perhaps get a fabia.

The other car that I found to have lots of "older" owners, you know, the ones that tend to look after them and service them etc.

Was























Nissan Micras laugh

blueg33

Original Poster:

13,282 posts

109 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Nigel Worc's said:
Actually, I wish to make it worse, just in case you show him the thread, this'll make him think he's lucky to perhaps get a fabia.

The other car that I found to have lots of "older" owners, you know, the ones that tend to look after them and service them etc.

Was























Nissan Micras laugh
Just No...No...No...No not with my money, not ever!

Mrs would divorce me (ok possibly a plus), but junior is 6ft 4" and the small hatchbacks are just too small

The Moose

11,571 posts

94 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
blueg33 said:
Nigel Worc's said:
Actually, I wish to make it worse, just in case you show him the thread, this'll make him think he's lucky to perhaps get a fabia.

The other car that I found to have lots of "older" owners, you know, the ones that tend to look after them and service them etc.

Was





















Nissan Micras laugh
Just No...No...No...No not with my money, not ever!

Mrs would divorce me (ok possibly a plus), but junior is 6ft 4" and the small hatchbacks are just too small
rofl surely worth doing to see a 6ft 4 17 year old in one?!?! rofl

PhillipM

3,547 posts

74 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Buy him a complete shed at 200 quid, a box of spanners, and a haynes manual.

He'll thank you, one day, eventually.

matthias73

2,191 posts

35 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
sunshine1990 said:
blueg33 said:
Anyone honest got a decent 1.4 golf for sale?
I hear volkswagen have some for Around £18,000.

You're buying a USED ten year old car and you're expecting no faults whatsoever
No, he's expecting faults to be described, and the car to match the description.

You sound like a knob, based off those two sentences.

Kolbenkopp

905 posts

36 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Annoying that they are so far off the description...

But what does VW UK say about the cambelt on the 1.4 petrol? In .de, it is "visual inspection" from IIRC 60k miles but no mandatory age/mileage for when to replace it. Driving around for a few more years with one that has been changed 4 years ago would not bother me on a relatively cheap car.

Also not sure about the 1.4 as an engine choice. That thing in a car as heavy as a G4 would probably have taught me a lot about "keeping momentum" at all costs. Not sure if that is sooo safe wink. The old 1.6 SR (8 valve) lump isn't bad, perhaps go for that?

danjama

1,770 posts

27 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
I recently sold my 1.4 Fiesta. It wasn't perfect and I was completely honest in the description, and the price reflected the facts. This indluded an almost non existent history and cracked windscreen. It was so honest I even had a couple of emails from people asking me why it was so honest and was I mad? Quite amusing. But the car sold within three weeks. Lesson is, people appreciate honesty, as I'm sure you would have. Just a shame not everyonce can be straight like me. Makes life a lot easier to deal with.

ajb85

1,038 posts

27 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
OP, is a 53 plate Clio 1.2 Dynamique any good to you (or your son) at £1600?

barnal

84 posts

100 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
matthias73 said:
sunshine1990 said:
blueg33 said:
Anyone honest got a decent 1.4 golf for sale?
I hear volkswagen have some for Around £18,000.

You're buying a USED ten year old car and you're expecting no faults whatsoever
No, he's expecting faults to be described, and the car to match the description.

You sound like a knob, based off those two sentences.
My thoughts entirely.

Chrisw666

22,654 posts

84 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
danjama said:
I recently sold my 1.4 Fiesta. It wasn't perfect and I was completely honest in the description, and the price reflected the facts. This indluded an almost non existent history and cracked windscreen. It was so honest I even had a couple of emails from people asking me why it was so honest and was I mad? Quite amusing. But the car sold within three weeks. Lesson is, people appreciate honesty, as I'm sure you would have. Just a shame not everyonce can be straight like me. Makes life a lot easier to deal with.
I'd agree with this, in the last couple of years I've sold three cars, everytime I've written warts and all descriptions being honest about the good and bad bits.

Each one sold to the first person who viewed, and interestingly none of the email enquiries came to anything and each buyer first enquired by phone.

carreauchompeur

12,704 posts

89 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
100% this. All of my previous cars have been very honestly described hence they have generally sold quickly. I think people appreciate not having their time wasted.

blueg33

Original Poster:

13,282 posts

109 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
PhillipM said:
Buy him a complete shed at 200 quid, a box of spanners, and a haynes manual.

He'll thank you, one day, eventually.
Hmmmm, MrsBlue wouldn't like that, but principally I need him to focus on A levels not making his car go, he has enough other distractions at the moment without car repair adding to them

blueg33

Original Poster:

13,282 posts

109 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
Kolbenkopp said:
Annoying that they are so far off the description...

But what does VW UK say about the cambelt on the 1.4 petrol? In .de, it is "visual inspection" from IIRC 60k miles but no mandatory age/mileage for when to replace it. Driving around for a few more years with one that has been changed 4 years ago would not bother me on a relatively cheap car.

Also not sure about the 1.4 as an engine choice. That thing in a car as heavy as a G4 would probably have taught me a lot about "keeping momentum" at all costs. Not sure if that is sooo safe wink. The old 1.6 SR (8 valve) lump isn't bad, perhaps go for that?
1.6 costs 10% more of an already substantial premium to insure whilst he is learning, and 20% more of an even bigger premium once he has passed

Actually, the 1.4 is not as painfully slow as I was expecting although my A6 felt scary fast after driving the golf


Edited by blueg33 on Monday 8th October 06:58

blueg33

Original Poster:

13,282 posts

109 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
ajb85 said:
OP, is a 53 plate Clio 1.2 Dynamique any good to you (or your son) at £1600?
Possibly, but i need to double check insurance, the French cars were inexplicably more expensive to insure, also it may be too small. (Think 6ft 4" driver, 2 guitar amps, bass amp, guitars and bass etc)

Thanks for the offer, I will come back to you once I have researched it a bit.

Gary C

1,036 posts

64 months

[news] 
Monday 8th October 2012 quote quote all
blueg33 said:
Possibly, but i need to double check insurance, the French cars were inexplicably more expensive to insure, also it may be too small. (Think 6ft 4" driver, 2 guitar amps, bass amp, guitars and bass etc)

Thanks for the offer, I will come back to you once I have researched it a bit.
I had one of those. Good car until the engine mount pulled a lump out of the gearbox. But I then stripped of the box with the youngest, got it welded up and refitted. Very good experience for him.

Part of the right of passage. All new drivers should have unreliable sheds smile
1
3 4
Reply to Topic