Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 10 11
13 14
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

300bhp/ton

29,629 posts

78 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
ScoobieWRX said:
Speak for your own. I get IFS/IRS, LSD and plenty of ground clearance. No worse than a Surf!! PMSL

With the greatest respect my Surf will piss all over this blazer off-road out of the box. It's a Landcruiser LWB chassis so do me a favour!! It's clear you know feck all about Surfs!! Stick to what you know....Or think you know!! wink
Funny how Toyota decided to keep the front live axle on the Hilux as it was better off road than the IFS on the 4Runner/Surf though. You sure you've got IRS? What age Surf have you got, I thought they where live rears. Happy to be wrong though.

UK952

645 posts

147 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
Surf is my favourite vehicle for driving the potholed gravel in the Falklands, way better than a defender, ford explorer etc. Not tried Disco 3/4 yet and these look impressive someone overtook me on a really bad section the wheels were bouncing all over the place but the body on top looked smooth as if it was on a motorway. Achieved my highest speed on (very smooth) gravel in a surf 20mph more than my defender record.

tr7v8

4,773 posts

116 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
UK952 said:
Actually 4.3 V6 c190 BHP is that the same engine as the mercruiser in my boat?
Yup Volvo use it as well. It is 205BHP as a Volvo though.

Buzypea

14 posts

27 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I look forward to a nice cold beer and SOTW of a Friday evening.....BUT WTF IS THIS???
Sort the sheds out pleeeeease!!!!

BeirutTaxi

5,790 posts

102 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
tr7v8 said:
UK952 said:
Actually 4.3 V6 c190 BHP is that the same engine as the mercruiser in my boat?
Yup Volvo use it as well. It is 205BHP as a Volvo though.
I think that's the same engine i had in a boat (Rinker V190). Not much more than 4mpg. A day trip out cost £100 back in 20.7, wouldn't like to be filling up at the floating petrol station in Poole harbour these days.
Advertisement

300bhp/ton

29,629 posts

78 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
irocfan said:
E38Ross said:
300bhp/ton said:
E38Ross said:
300bhp/ton said:
ScoobieWRX said:
Would you say this was some honest reviewing carried out in the USA. these people should know shouldn't they?

Note the avg MPG of the 1995-2005 Gen long term test result!!

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to...
Do you mean the 15.2 US gallons for all types of use mpg? So just under 20mpg Imperial gallons. So "on a run" as you like to say 22+ would seem highly likely.
Wow, 22mpg from a 195bhp engine in a car built in 1999. Astonishing.
What car where? Can you post a pic please.

However 22mpg from a 6 seater 1.8 tonne 4x4 isn't bad. Not considering the year and power/torque.

Can you site some other 1990-1999 4x4's of the same size, power and performance that achieve significantly better mpg?
BMW X5 will meet those criteria and has far better economy over the 3.0l petrol or especially the diesel.

What do you say to that 300?

Edited by E38Ross on Friday 12th October 17:15
Chevy Blazer 1983 - 2001

X5 - 1999 onwards

newer car, more efficient engine tech. Leaving that aside I'd point out that IIRC the X5 (when it first arrived on the scene) weren't exactly paragons of reliability....
Not too mention probably half as much again to buy, not as capable off road and according to Fuelly 19-22mpg average.

E38Ross

15,472 posts

100 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
300bhp/ton said:
Not too mention probably half as much again to buy, not as capable off road and according to Fuelly 19-22mpg average.
WTF has the ability to go off road got to do with the MPG? you mentioned heavy 4x4 and mpg of similar power and better mpg, i gave you an example.

an old audi A8 2.8 petrol will weigh more, give similar power, is 4wd and will give much better economy.

you just think of any excuse to make american tat sound much better than it is. some american cars are very good. this one, not quite.

ScoobieWRX

4,863 posts

114 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
300bhp/ton said:
ScoobieWRX said:
Speak for your own. I get IFS/IRS, LSD and plenty of ground clearance. No worse than a Surf!! PMSL

With the greatest respect my Surf will piss all over this blazer off-road out of the box. It's a Landcruiser LWB chassis so do me a favour!! It's clear you know feck all about Surfs!! Stick to what you know....Or think you know!! wink
Funny how Toyota decided to keep the front live axle on the Hilux as it was better off road than the IFS on the 4Runner/Surf though. You sure you've got IRS? What age Surf have you got, I thought they where live rears. Happy to be wrong though.
3rd Gen - 1996 on used the LWB Landcruiser Chassis. 1st and 2nd Gen used the Hilux Chassis.

I get electrically adjustable shocks and dampers all round, no leaf springs to be found.

ETA: I just read what i wrote and i'm getting confused now. It's got a solid rear axle not Independent Rear, my Subaru has IRS, but i don't have leaf springs unlike the earlier versions.
It's set up pretty identical to a series 80/90 Landcruiser only i get drum brakes at the rear where the Landcruiser gets discs.

Also i'm pretty sure 4runners from 85 onwards get IFS not a solid axle, as do Surfs from 88 on and Hilux RN110 from 88-96 and YN63 and YN67. from 85



Edited by ScoobieWRX on Friday 12th October 22:25

katulu

25 posts

76 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
actually, it's quite easy, and common to but a small-block chevy V8 in these, I had an extended cab pickup with a 400ci smallblock in it, it was absolutely insane!

all the parts for the swap cost under $1000 usd, took me a couple weekends

Chris944_S2

1,078 posts

111 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I like the Blazer. I don't care if there are other 4x4's that by all logical measures are better, to me the Blazer is ace (and moreso in Europe than the US) because it is unusual and rare. You know the owner of the Blazer bought one because he wanted it, not because he feels the need to conform with the silver german car brigade. Proper leftfield choices are always good in my books.

Also it has 4.3l. Thats .3l more than my Pissat, making it a better car. cool

KM666

1,392 posts

71 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
I like it! Get into the American spirit, stick the rebel flag in the back window and find a V8 for it or fit exhausts that come out the bonnet.

I'd get me a cowboy hat and look like a right nob pumping country and western out driving around Wiltshire! But would I care....

BeirutTaxi

5,790 posts

102 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
KM666 said:
I like it! Get into the American spirit, stick the rebel flag in the back window and find a V8 for it or fit exhausts that come out the bonnet.

I'd get me a cowboy hat and look like a right nob pumping country and western out driving around Wiltshire! But would I care....
Cool. Glad to hear the medication has kicked in.

Edited by BeirutTaxi on Friday 12th October 23:02

Bisonhead

1,502 posts

77 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
300 bhp you are a stubborn sonnbh!

If I were to offer any pher a p38 rr or a blazer for the same price what would they go for? And how can you argue? This is a UK car enthusiasts site, how did you think this would go?

BeirutTaxi

5,790 posts

102 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all

KM666

1,392 posts

71 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
KM666 said:
I like it! Get into the American spirit, stick the rebel flag in the back window and find a V8 for it or fit exhausts that come out the bonnet.

I'd get me a cowboy hat and look like a right nob pumping country and western out driving around Wiltshire! But would I care....
Cool. Glad to hear the medication has kicked in.

Edited by BeirutTaxi on Friday 12th October 23:02
A Quart of burbon, some medicinal and a couple of handfuls of 'drugs'. Yippie kai yay happy 4th of july motherfker!

Edited by KM666 on Friday 12th October 23:53

Monty Zoomer

1,459 posts

45 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
ITech said:
They may technically be smaller than a RR.. BUT, they don't look it
rofl What? laugh

boma

130 posts

95 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
there are a few here still sort of running, and they're crap. really, properly crap. wouldn't if you paid me.

infradig

976 posts

95 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
BeirutTaxi said:
I think a pinch of salt is required with Autotrader reviews, if I was trying to get rid of something I'd probably give it a glowing review on the same site if possible.
Maybe I'm just deeply cynical.

BeirutTaxi

5,790 posts

102 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
infradig said:
I think a pinch of salt is required with Autotrader reviews, if I was trying to get rid of something I'd probably give it a glowing review on the same site if possible.
Maybe I'm just deeply cynical.
Fair point smile

300bhp/ton

29,629 posts

78 months

[news] 
Saturday 13th October 2012 quote quote all
Bisonhead said:
300 bhp you are a stubborn sonnbh!

If I were to offer any pher a p38 rr or a blazer for the same price what would they go for? And how can you argue? This is a UK car enthusiasts site, how did you think this would go?
Should I confused or laugh at you?
1 2 ... 10 11
13 14
Reply to Topic