Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2 3 ... 167 168
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2006 quote quote all
I'm sure that many of you will already know us from Pistonheads and many other car forums.

We are Simon and Guy from Opie Oils www.opieoils.co.uk

If you would like any oil advice or recommendation for your pride and joy please feel free to ask here and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. So please remember to give the following information.

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Modifications:
Driving style:
Any other information that may be relevant: Oil Temperatures?
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc:

Please remember that we will always recommend an oil that we sell. We do have 6 brands being Silkolene, Fuchs, Castrol, Motul, Mobil and Amsoil.

We look forward to being of help to "Pistonheaders"

Cheers
Simon & Guy

You can also contact us as follows:

Email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Tel: 01209 215164

All oils we recommend are available to buy online at www.opieoils.co.uk




Sponsored Message

mustard

6,907 posts

131 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2006 quote quote all
Make: BMW
Model: 325i Convertible
Year: 1990 (done 89k with FSH)
Engine type: 2.5
Modifications: Std
Driving style: Ocassional use (spirited but not caned when driven) particulary during winter period. so maximum protection during start up when car has been stood for a week or more

Cheers


>> Edited by mustard on Monday 23 January 22:18

agent006

11,211 posts

150 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2006 quote quote all
A slight variation on that:

Make: BMW
Model: 325i
Year: 1989
Engine type: 2.5
Modifications: Std
Driving style: Trackday car.

And also:

Make: Audi
Model: 100 S4 (Mk1 S6)
Year: 1993
Engine Type: 2.2 I5 Turbo
Modifications: Chip, 3Bar VMAP and wastegate spring. Approx 285bhp from standard 230.
Driving style: Daily driver, so bits of everything. Used for 5 minute journey to work once or twice a week.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2006 quote quote all
mustard said:
Make: BMW
Model: 325i Convertible
Year: 1990 (done 89k with FSH)
Engine type: 2.5
Modifications: Std
Driving style: Ocassional use (spirited but not caned when driven) particulary during winter period. so maximum protection during start up when car has been stood for a week or more

Cheers


>> Edited by mustard on Monday 23 January 22:18


We would recommend a 5w-40 or 0w-40 synthetic.

For road use the likes of Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40, Motul 8100 0w-40 or 5w-40, Mobil1 0w-40 or Castrol RS 0w-40 are fine.

Cheers
Simon

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Monday 23rd January 2006 quote quote all
agent006 said:
A slight variation on that:

Make: BMW
Model: 325i
Year: 1989
Engine type: 2.5
Modifications: Std
Driving style: Trackday car.

And also:

Make: Audi
Model: 100 S4 (Mk1 S6)
Year: 1993
Engine Type: 2.2 I5 Turbo
Modifications: Chip, 3Bar VMAP and wastegate spring. Approx 285bhp from standard 230.
Driving style: Daily driver, so bits of everything. Used for 5 minute journey to work once or twice a week.
BMW Trackday car, Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 or Motul 300V 5w-40

Audi 100 S4 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Cheers
Simon

Edited by opieoilman on Friday 18th July 14:22


Edited by opieoilman on Friday 18th July 14:24

Advertisement

B 7 VP

607 posts

128 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Simon, whats the reason that BMW ONLY reccomend a 10-60 for the S50 Bi Vanos Engines.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Hi,

According to my records only the S54 S85 and S62 opto 02/2000 are recomended 10w-60... as far as we can tell it must have been some kind of design issue as many of these engines post 02/2000 now run the LL01 spec 5w-30/0w-30.

All other engines run LL98, LL01 and the very latest E90 and E87 engines require BMW LL04.

Cheers

Guy.

sliced bread

200 posts

105 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Question from the nursery end I'm afraid. In the posted viscosity ratings (if I've got this right) on, say, a 10W50 oil, the 10 refers to the thickness when hot and the 50 when cold (as judged against the old 'straight' 30, 40 or whatever oils). If that is right, what does the zero rating on a 0-30 signify? (that it has no viscosity at all when hot? - seems a bit unlikely - but I do admit that the thickness of even the highest rated hypoid oil really has nothing on me!)

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
In nursery terms try this:

If you see an expression such as 10W-40, the oil is a multigrade.

This simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades, in this case 10W & 40.

This is made possible by the inclusion of a polymer, a component which slows down the rate of thinning as the oil warms up and slows down the rate of thickening as the oil cools down.

It was first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

For a 10w-40 to attain the specification target a 10W ( W = winter) the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity at low temperature. The actual viscosity and the temperature vary with the viscosity grade but in all cases the lower the number, the thinner the oil, e.g. a 5W oil is thinner than a 10W oil at temperatures encountered in UK winter conditions.

This is important because a thinner oil will circulate faster on cold start, affording better engine protection.

For a 10w-40 to attain the other specification target a 40 oil must fall within certain limits at 100 degC. In this case the temperature target does not vary with the viscosity grade, if there is no "W", the measuring temperature is always 100degC. Again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC., which is typical of maximum bulk oil temperatures in an operating engine.

The engine makers are, of course, very well aware of this and specify oils according to engine design features, oil pump capacities, manufacturing tolerances, ambient temperature conditions etc. It is important to follow these guidelines, they are important and are an are stipulated for good reasons.

If the engine has been modified, the operating conditions may well be outside the original design envelope. The stress on the oil caused by increased maximum revs, power output and temperature may indicate that oil of a different type and viscosity grade would be beneficial.

Cheers
Simon

.Adam.

1,571 posts

149 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Make:Westfield
Model:SEiW SpeedSport
Year:1998
Engine type:Ford Zetec 2ltr(phase 3 blacktop)
Modifications:standard except for a baffled sump
Driving style:Fast road and occasional trackdays
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine

Thanks very much!

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
BERGS2 said:
Hi Simon -

Make: Porsche
Model: 964 Carrera 4
Year: 1989
Engine type: 3.6
Modifications: None
Driving style: -usually weekend only, short journeys - occasional London rush hour
Any other information that may be relevant: Oil Temperatures? Runs a little hot in rush hour traffic (never in the Red though)
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine

Many thanks

Tim


Tim,

I would recommed using a good quality 5w-40 synthetic.

Something like Motul 8100 5w-40 or Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40 but if you really want to treat her, Silkolene PRO S 5w-40.

Cheers
Simon

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
.Adam. said:
Make:Westfield
Model:SEiW SpeedSport
Year:1998
Engine type:Ford Zetec 2ltr(phase 3 blacktop)
Modifications:standard except for a baffled sump
Driving style:Fast road and occasional trackdays
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine

Thanks very much!


The recommended oil for this engine is 5w-30.

I would suggest a good quality ACEA A3 one like Motul 8100 5w-30 or even the race Motul 300V 5w-30 for those trackdays.

Cheers
Simon

Matthew C

4,025 posts

123 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Make: Ford
Model: Escort
Year: 1988
Engine type: 1.4 CVH
Modifications: None
Driving style: Mostly relaxed, occasionally gets thrashed (when hot), 70% longer journeys (about 55 miles), 30% shorter journeys (10 miles or less)
Any other information that may be relevant: 59600 miles, but will be disproportionately worn (owned by pensioner from new before me (1st, 2nd & 3rd gears worn out, 4th & 5th like new)), so will mostly have done short journeys before I got it, engine occasionally tappetty.
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine

>> Edited by Matthew C on Tuesday 24th January 18:35

neil_cardiff

17,109 posts

150 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Make:

VW

Model:

Mk3 GTi

Year:

1994 (110k miles)

Engine type:

2.0l 16v

Modifications:

Completely standard bar replacement Pipercross panel air filter

Driving style:

12 mile round trip daily to work, frequent M/Way, plus very spirited B Road driving. At present no track days, but intending on doing a V-Max,

Any other information that may be relevant: Oil Temperatures?

Engine spends considerable time revving to and staying at max revs (as is the nature of the engine) but suffers no ill health and is strong with it. Slightly rattly; which is due to the camshaft timing chain I guess. Also gearbox is a bit tough to change if rushed - could that be a thing improved by a gearbox oil change?

What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc:

Engine - with frequent oil change (5000miles), Gearbox (never had oil change) - Anything else?

Traditonally VW recommends Silver Synta oil, and those 'in the know' i.e. spods on Club GTi recommend Gold Synta - whats the difference? I use Gold Synta - just done 2k ago...

markmullen

14,845 posts

120 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Hi Gents,

Make: Porsche
Model: 928 S4 Auto
Year: 1987
Engine type: 5 Litre V8 32v
Modifications: None
Driving style: Fairly infrequently driven but when it is it tends to be long trips (200+ miles) at high speeds (70 of course
Any other information that may be relevant: Has done 114k miles
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine please

Many thanks.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
Matthew C said:
Make: Ford
Model: Escort
Year: 1988
Engine type: 1.4 CVH
Modifications: None
Driving style: Mostly relaxed, occasionally gets thrashed (when hot), 70% longer journeys (about 55 miles), 30% shorter journeys (10 miles or less)
Any other information that may be relevant: 59600 miles, but will be disproportionately worn (owned by pensioner from new before me (1st, 2nd & 3rd gears worn out, 4th & 5th like new)), so will mostly have done short journeys before I got it, engine occasionally tappetty.
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine

>> Edited by Matthew C on Tuesday 24th January 18:35


You've two choices here really.

Either a 10w-40 semi-synthetic or 5w-40 fully synthetic. It's down to cost, if the car is burning oil go the semi route.

Cheers
Simon

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
neil_cardiff said:
Make:

VW

Model:

Mk3 GTi

Year:

1994 (110k miles)

Engine type:

2.0l 16v

Modifications:

Completely standard bar replacement Pipercross panel air filter

Driving style:

12 mile round trip daily to work, frequent M/Way, plus very spirited B Road driving. At present no track days, but intending on doing a V-Max,

Any other information that may be relevant: Oil Temperatures?

Engine spends considerable time revving to and staying at max revs (as is the nature of the engine) but suffers no ill health and is strong with it. Slightly rattly; which is due to the camshaft timing chain I guess. Also gearbox is a bit tough to change if rushed - could that be a thing improved by a gearbox oil change?

What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc:

Engine - with frequent oil change (5000miles), Gearbox (never had oil change) - Anything else?

Traditonally VW recommends Silver Synta oil, and those 'in the know' i.e. spods on Club GTi recommend Gold Synta - whats the difference? I use Gold Synta - just done 2k ago...


The oil specified for this car is VW 501.01 which gives you a wide choice viscosity-wise.

VW 501.01
This is an “old” VW oil specification with exactly the same application as
VW 500.00.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40, 15w-40

The Gearbox recommendation is 80w-90.

The choices should be based on cost, 10w-40 semi like Fuchs or Silkolene XTR 10w-40 will be the cheapest however the best protection from wear will be 5w-40 and I would recommend Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40.

Cheers
Simon

opieoilman

Original Poster:

3,141 posts

122 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
markmullen said:
Hi Gents,

Make: Porsche
Model: 928 S4 Auto
Year: 1987
Engine type: 5 Litre V8 32v
Modifications: None
Driving style: Fairly infrequently driven but when it is it tends to be long trips (200+ miles) at high speeds (70 of course
Any other information that may be relevant: Has done 114k miles
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine,Gearbox,Differential etc: Engine please

Many thanks.


Well, a car I know well. My father has one of these as well and swears by Silkolene Pro S 5w-40. He has also used Silkolene Pro S 10w-50. Both work well although he prefers the better cold start protection of the 5w-40.

Cheers
Simon

markmullen

14,845 posts

120 months

[news] 
Tuesday 24th January 2006 quote quote all
opieoilman said:
markmullen said:
Hi Gents,

Make: Porsche
Model: 928 S4 Auto
[snip]Many thanks.


Well, a car I know well. My father has one of these as well and swears by Silkolene Pro S 5w-40. He has also used Silkolene Pro S 10w-50. Both work well although he prefers the better cold start protection of the 5w-40.

Cheers
Simon


Brilliant, thanks for the advice, as soon as I need some I will give you a shout.
Mark

marctwo

3,390 posts

146 months

[news] 
Wednesday 25th January 2006 quote quote all
Make: Audi
Model: S3
Year: 2002
Milage: 23000
Engine type: 1.8l 4cyl 20v Turbo
Modifications: AmD Remap
Driving style: Mostly motorway with occational country lane blast.

I was using Mobil 1 0W40 until I got the remap done and AmD did an oil change and put in Quantum Synta GOLD 5W40 as they said they thought the Mobil stuff was too thin. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice.


>> Edited by marctwo on Wednesday 25th January 09:33
2 3 ... 167 168
Reply to Topic