Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2 ... 105 106
108 109 ... 115 116
TOPIC CLOSED
Author Discussion

stuttgartmetal

6,733 posts

96 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
I tought Massa bounced back.

coetzeeh

1,249 posts

116 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
stuttgartmetal said:
I tought Massa bounced back.
no the spring did

are you Irish btw?

smile

TheHeretic

73,668 posts

135 months

[news] 
Friday 5th October 2012 quote quote all
Vocal Minority said:
And naturally it has to boil down to Button v Hamilton doesn't it? wink

I prefer Button personally, but I believe that Hamilton is the quicker*. Your head being in the right place is part of being the better competitor (note not driver), and in 2011 Hamilton was out-competed. - But if his head is in the right place - and after a team move it may well be - he will be a better competitor I expect.

  • Button has ALWAYS struggled for consistency. Not sure what his issue was in the middle part of this season, but it was certainly something.
Does it? Why mention him then? People often like to compare, as you did, but seem to think as I stated. Hamilton does well, it is Hamilton. Hamilton does badly then it is the car. It seems to be the inverse for Button, and excuses for when he did beat Hamilton are plenty, but normally how terrible emotional period. They are all drivers, and they all have to deal with exactly the same stresses in life. How they deal with it is all part and parcel of being a driver.

heebeegeetee

20,946 posts

128 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
TheHeretic said:
Does it? Why mention him then? People often like to compare, as you did, but seem to think as I stated. Hamilton does well, it is Hamilton. Hamilton does badly then it is the car. It seems to be the inverse for Button, and excuses for when he did beat Hamilton are plenty, but normally how terrible emotional period. They are all drivers, and they all have to deal with exactly the same stresses in life. How they deal with it is all part and parcel of being a driver.
And what if they don't?

To be fair though, Hamilton has done what a few drivers have done in recent years - left McLaren, seemingly because they're not happy. Its now Montoya, Raikkonenen, Alonso and Hamilton that have left in recent times. That's a list of pretty good names.

MGJohn

7,594 posts

63 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
heebeegeetee said:
TheHeretic said:
Does it? Why mention him then? People often like to compare, as you did, but seem to think as I stated. Hamilton does well, it is Hamilton. Hamilton does badly then it is the car. It seems to be the inverse for Button, and excuses for when he did beat Hamilton are plenty, but normally how terrible emotional period. They are all drivers, and they all have to deal with exactly the same stresses in life. How they deal with it is all part and parcel of being a driver.
And what if they don't?

To be fair though, Hamilton has done what a few drivers have done in recent years - left McLaren, seemingly because they're not happy. Its now Montoya, Raikkonenen, Alonso and Hamilton that have left in recent times. That's a list of pretty good names.
Any 'bad' names that drove for Mclaren ? ... wink

Advertisement

Sir Bagalot

2,702 posts

61 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I haven't read the whole of this thread, life is too short.

I'm a Lewis fan. When he hit the screens he was a breath of fresh air. A racer. Thank fk for that after the years of MS.

If only he would of learn't to keep his personal and professional life seperate. Not always helped by his team.

In the past 18-24 months he's become boring. Yes, some races he shows his absolute brillance. You think thank fk he has joined back up with Fred as the only real two racers in the game. Then he goes off the boil again.

During those 18-24 months we have slowly learn't that Brand Hamilton appears to be more important than racing.

During his recent interview one point really stood out for me. He hadn't shown Ron Dennis respect by speaking to him face to face about his plans to move. Whether he was his boss or not, they have a long working relationship, and to me he should of shown him the respect due.

Shame on you Lewis. Shame on you.

revrange

614 posts

64 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
think it will prove a good move. you can't bet again guys like ross brawn in the long haul, they get it right. Also Brawn is a past master at che**** i mean getting things past the FIA smile And 2014 will throw up plenty of chances for that i am sure.

I think Hamilton needed a change from Mclaren, and Mclaren will hurt next year with out Mercedes money and having to pay for the engines. Interesting that Haug said mercedes were paying part of Hamiltons wages, so its not just Mclaren suddenly have another 15 million to spend on the car

fact is its brilliant to win 1 in 4 races but championships are what it boils down too, and since 2008 they just haven't been good enough.

I like Mclaren and I like Hamilton, is sad to seem them part, but who knows in the future he might head back there.

ajprice

9,292 posts

76 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I watched the interview on the BBC qualifying highlights earlier. Going to Merc for the challenge is completely understandable for him after having got comfy at McLaren. I hope it goes well for him.

baz1985

3,429 posts

125 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
I was really surprised that he hadn't spoken to Uncle Ron prior to signing for Merc. Lets see how he gets on at Merc...'with the monkeys at the back'...!

Personally, I think Brawn and his crew are a bit over-rated...in 5 yrs...one title winning car...and that was hardly dominant post mid-season 2009. Three years with the Merc budget...diddly squat...it appears Rory Byrne was a very significant factor at the Scuderia.

SRT77

523 posts

98 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
baz1985 said:
I was really surprised that he hadn't spoken to Uncle Ron prior to signing for Merc. Lets see how he gets on at Merc...'with the monkeys at the back'...!

Personally, I think Brawn and his crew are a bit over-rated...in 5 yrs...one title winning car...and that was hardly dominant post mid-season 2009. Three years with the Merc budget...diddly squat...it appears Rory Byrne was a very significant factor at the Scuderia.
I think you are right about Brawn . Nothing of the "genius' that he once was has come through in the last 3 years. Your own test track and unlimited testing had a lot to do with the Ferrari success. According to Willi Weber, the whole thing was massively oversold to Schumi.

McClure

1,546 posts

26 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Sir Bagalot said:
In the past 18-24 months he's become boring. Yes, some races he shows his absolute brillance. You think thank fk he has joined back up with Fred as the only real two racers in the game. Then he goes off the boil again.
Whilst I agree to an extent that he doesn't appear to be as focussed as he once was, I think criticism of his driving is misplaced. In the last two years the name of the game is preserving tyres; you can't be as aggressive with them as you could when he first entered F1. And so he has had to adapt his style, which he has done brilliantly.

Some Gump

5,405 posts

66 months

[news] 
Saturday 6th October 2012 quote quote all
Mercades must be over the moon. Only a week since they signed him, and already he's adopted the team ethos and qualified 9th.

hora

17,815 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Ffs hes hardly going to Danka!

slopes

28,162 posts

67 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Some Gump said:
Mercades must be over the moon. Only a week since they signed him, and already he's adopted the team ethos and qualified 9th.
hehe

Scuffers

12,635 posts

154 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Some Gump said:
Mercades must be over the moon. Only a week since they signed him, and already he's adopted the team ethos and qualified 9th.
and finished 5th in an uncompetitive car..

MGJohn

7,594 posts

63 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Some Gump said:
Mercades must be over the moon. Only a week since they signed him, and already he's adopted the team ethos and qualified 9th.
Remind me where he qualified the previous race and races. One swallow does not make a summer ..... many do.

Oh please yourselves...frown

At least I know what I'm on about ... wink

In the final analysis, that's all that matters ... to me... rofl

Like Arnie once said ... McLaren ... they'll be back.... or, something .. I think ... silly

hora

17,815 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Back where? They are steadily sliding away IMO. It started with the 'spy' scandal and the teams shot itself time after time.

Remember before Hamilton it was a DECADE back to their last win. Bye bye Mclaren.

Bitofbully

394 posts

19 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
hora said:
Back where? They are steadily sliding away IMO. It started with the 'spy' scandal and the teams shot itself time after time.

Remember before Hamilton it was a DECADE back to their last win. Bye bye Mclaren.
WTF?!

Since JB arrived at McLaren, he and Hamilton are pretty much on exactly the same number of points and wins. Hamilton does have a massive advantage on qualifying positions - but races are won on Sunday, where JB often has the upper hand with great tactics and / or looking after his car better. There's also the minor point that JB is better at building a team of people around him to help get the best from the car - and also seems to have the edge when it comes to developing cars.

I think the JB / SP combination is much stronger than the LH / NR combination - as things stand, only Red Bull have a stronger driving pairing than McLaren in 2013 - although if Massa has come back on form, then the pairing with Alonso is as strong as any other on the grid.

hotmelt

861 posts

53 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
Bitofbully said:
hora said:
Back where? They are steadily sliding away IMO. It started with the 'spy' scandal and the teams shot itself time after time.

Remember before Hamilton it was a DECADE back to their last win. Bye bye Mclaren.
WTF?!

Since JB arrived at McLaren, he and Hamilton are pretty much on exactly the same number of points and wins. Hamilton does have a massive advantage on qualifying positions - but races are won on Sunday, where JB often has the upper hand with great tactics and / or looking after his car better. There's also the minor point that JB is better at building a team of people around him to help get the best from the car - and also seems to have the edge when it comes to developing cars.

I think the JB / SP combination is much stronger than the LH / NR combination - as things stand, only Red Bull have a stronger driving pairing than McLaren in 2013 - although if Massa has come back on form, then the pairing with Alonso is as strong as any other on the grid.
If the team thinks similarly, I would also have left Mclaren imediately too.

hora

17,815 posts

91 months

[news] 
Sunday 7th October 2012 quote quote all
I dont think JB has the depth of talent that Lewis still has. Flame me but alot of LHs races were lost through team error. He put the work in for nought on too many occassions. They would have been better off ditching the nice guy as well and taking on two emerging talents...but wait...

JB is quite marketable off the track for advertisers...... wink
1 2 ... 105 106
108 109 ... 115 116
TOPIC CLOSED