Well after about 3 years it was time to say goodbye to the Citroen C1. It was a good little car and the only let down was the lack of boot space. Citroen was a pain when it come to returning the car. The contract does not end until 30th August but they were trying to tell me it ended in July. Anyway they called last Thursday wanting the car back and today they picked it up.
So goodbye C1!!
So the hunt was on for a cheap run around. It needed to be cheap and practical as the girlfriend is expecting. I saw a few good cars cheap but most were sold by the time I rang up and one garage had a winge when i asked what service history it had!!
Anyway browsing Facebook of all places I saw this Vectra for sale. It was up for £700 but I got it for £500. It needs a few things doing to it but at the end of the day it's a car and it drives (for now!).
2000 Vauxhall Astra Ls 16v
I really didn't want a Vauxhall to be honest but it doesn't seem too bad for the price.
- Minimal rust
- No leaks
- Air con (don't know if this works yet probably not)
- Electric Windows
- CD Player
- Kind of clean
- Exhaust system recently replaced
- Crankshaft sensor/immobiliser problem replaced/fixed in the last year
- Engine bay seems in reasonable condition
- It's a Vauxhall
- It's a 5 door and I'm not a fan on most 5 door cars unless it's a Volvo/Saab/Impreza/Evo
- Handling does not seem very good
- Squeeky Clutch pedal
- You can feel the engine rumble on idle
- Steering feels a bit strange - doesn't pull but may be steering rack issue
- Bad paintwork on rear bumper
- Seats seem to quick a bit
- 2 of the tyres low on tread but legal
- Bushes most likely will need replacing
- Could do with a service
The first thing I want to do is get it to the garage for an oil change. Whilst it's in I will get them to check the steering/suspension for any wear or problems. I will also sort the tyres out around the same time. Another thing to do is take the induction kit off and source an original air box. I also want to replace the parcel shelf as the last owner cut holes in for some 6x9's.
The main issue with this car is the service history. It has stamps in the book upto about 2005 where the mileage was 94k. Servicing after this date seems patchy. Whilst the cambelt was probably changed in this time there is no documentation to support it so another thing to do once it's in is check the cambelt.
It's a shame it isn't really a great car to write about. If it goes majorly wing I will just get rid of it and get the bus for now