Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
2
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Try5t

Original Poster:

697 posts

88 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
Anybody have a heads up on when the sport design wheel will be available for the 991? My dad has bought a 991s but can't get on with the buttons and wants the F1 style shift paddles... he has seen the light!

Had a look on google and the wheel with the paddles seems available since May in the USA etc but OPC suggest it has not been released for retrofit here in blighty and there is no definitive date for the same.

Anybody had one reto-fitted to their 991 yet? Any idea on cost?


mollytherocker

9,989 posts

89 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
I cant believe that Porsche are using those crap buttons in the 991.

Does anybody like them?

MTR

Rhino911

17 posts

20 months

[news] 
Wednesday 5th September 2012 quote quote all
They are a terrible design, dont know why they are still using them after they eventually started using proper paddle shift wheels ?

BnB

1,005 posts

55 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
OPC could (for a fee) swap the wheels between your dad's car and another from a stock car. I was offered this when looking at buying a stock new 991 which lacked the paddle wheel.

Try5t

Original Poster:

697 posts

88 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
MTR - I still can't believe they still use the buttons - just feels awkward to me, but have to admit the PDK change is fantastic - better than the F1. Having the paddles would really make the car in my view

As he has done a few k already in the car I don't think Porsche would offer a swap unless both cars, but will get him to ask anyway.

He has just ordered the kit with the bigger wing - should be here and fitted in a few weeks - will post some pics up when its done. With a bit of luck he may find a wheel to be fitted at the same time!
Advertisement

Manks

6,829 posts

102 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
mollytherocker said:
I cant believe that Porsche are using those crap buttons in the 991.

Does anybody like them?

MTR
Yes, I do.

I have used buttons and paddles for extended periods of time and cannot say that either is difficult to come to terms with. People who say, "I cannot get on with them, they are counter-intuitive" are either hardcore racing drivers hard-wired only to understand paddles, or they have severe learning difficulties. Actually, more likely they are following the crowd.

I was at PEC a year or so ago and a middle-aged gent was there to test a PDK car. He was making much of the fact that he "had to have paddles". Once on the track, however, paddles were not going to sort out his issues; I've seen people make faster progress with a punt pole.

The reason I like the buttons is that they are a nice bit of design, they are tactile and even if you end up with the wheel inverted they do the same thing. Incidentally, for off-road use (shouldn't apply to most of the Porsche range admittedly) buttons are far better. When using command shift, because of the amount of time the steering wheel ends up inverted, having identical controls both sides is extremely useful.


Dblue

2,073 posts

80 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Have to say , like most, I HATE the Porsche Buttons. Its like Mercedes continued use of foot operated handbrakes, they just seem determined to persevere with the engineering solution they thought of first in the face of all common sense because of stubborn pig-headedness.
Just accept the fact you got it wrong guys and give the people what they want.
Paddles alone aren't the answer though. Those that are too short and move with the wheel are imperfect too. Long enough to be reached by fingertips when on 90 - 120 degree lock but fixed to the column not the wheel work best and if they're in tactile carbon fibre like a Scuderia then thats just about perfect.

Manks

6,829 posts

102 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Dblue said:
Just accept the fact you got it wrong guys and give the people what they want.

They do. Both sport design (paddles) and buttons are available. So everyone gets what they want.

SonnyM

3,024 posts

73 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
It is available but retrofit is big money.

Manks

6,829 posts

102 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
SonnyM said:
It is available but retrofit is big money.
Less than a grand when I last enquired and our local OPC was offering to go 50-50 on the cost with buyers who wanted a specific car but with paddles.

BnB

1,005 posts

55 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Dblue said:
Have to say , like most, I HATE the Porsche Buttons. Its like Mercedes continued use of foot operated handbrakes, they just seem determined to persevere with the engineering solution they thought of first in the face of all common sense because of stubborn pig-headedness.
Just accept the fact you got it wrong guys and give the people what they want.
Paddles alone aren't the answer though. Those that are too short and move with the wheel are imperfect too. Long enough to be reached by fingertips when on 90 - 120 degree lock but fixed to the column not the wheel work best and if they're in tactile carbon fibre like a Scuderia then thats just about perfect.
I like the fact they rotate with the wheel. Mid corner gear changes are not the no-no they used to be now that shifts are instant and rev-matched.

duckspeed8

309 posts

77 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Yep , retro fit is pricey.
St wheel with or without display depending if car has chrono or chrono plus is £640 +vat , depending on spec most will also require a new steer column switch and control unit , adding another £400 to the bill , then throw in an hours labour .
You lose steering wheel heating and multi function controls by changing wheel to the sport design paddle wheel.

franki68

2,133 posts

101 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
I find the buttons just make you feel like you are driving on a playstation,the paddles whilst no substitute for a manual in terms of involvement are 100 times better than buttons.Pretty much every other car maker uses paddles...for a reason.


stuckmojo

984 posts

68 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
I don't think there's any mechanical linkage, so it should be a fairly easy swap.

I personally detest those stupid buttons. If there ever was a chance of me buying a tiptronic or PDK, the buttons would be the deal breaker. One of the reasons is that the buttons are too close to where I keep my thumbs and I'd continually end up touching these whilst steering aggressively.

The paddles are the way to go, in my view.

mollytherocker

9,989 posts

89 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Manks said:
I have used buttons and paddles for extended periods of time and cannot say that either is difficult to come to terms with. People who say, "I cannot get on with them, they are counter-intuitive" are either hardcore racing drivers hard-wired only to understand paddles, or they have severe learning difficulties. Actually, more likely they are following the crowd.
I dont think they are hard to use. Thats not the point, its that they are unsatisfying to use and just feel wrong.

MTR

Manks

6,829 posts

102 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
mollytherocker said:
Manks said:
I have used buttons and paddles for extended periods of time and cannot say that either is difficult to come to terms with. People who say, "I cannot get on with them, they are counter-intuitive" are either hardcore racing drivers hard-wired only to understand paddles, or they have severe learning difficulties. Actually, more likely they are following the crowd.
I dont think they are hard to use. Thats not the point, its that they are unsatisfying to use and just feel wrong.

MTR
Have you had either on a Porsche you've owned?

Blue62

1,740 posts

32 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Given the overall popularity of paddles, surely the main reason that Porsche persist with buttons is so that they can charge us extra for the design wheel with paddles.

Dblue

2,073 posts

80 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
BnB said:
I like the fact they rotate with the wheel. Mid corner gear changes are not the no-no they used to be now that shifts are instant and rev-matched.
I've found that the paddles that move with the wheel can be mixed up when parking, or other wheel twirling maneuvers. As long as the paddles are well placed and long enough it's better to always know where they are.
Also I would say that one paddle controlling up changes and 1 down works best in all cases. Being able to do both is pointless and potentially problematic.
Of the cars I've got substantial experience of, Ferrari, GTR - good, Scirocco, CLK63 (Auto box rather than DCT) - bad
But Porsche push'pull buttons just un-intuitive nonsense (As are the similar levers on regular BMW autos)

mollytherocker

9,989 posts

89 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
Manks said:
Have you had either on a Porsche you've owned?
Not owned, but driven both.

MTR

tjlees

614 posts

117 months

[news] 
Thursday 6th September 2012 quote quote all
mollytherocker said:
I cant believe that Porsche are using those crap buttons in the 991.

Does anybody like them?

MTR
Nicely engineered buttons though wink

I have driven the 997.1 tip over 2 days and few 100 miles, own a 997.2 with Pdk and had a road test in a 991 tip. For me, the buttons do cause confusion on the 997 and 991 especially in the heat of the moment. You can get use to them and make progress but I was still making the odd mistake. The paddles are so more natural so I can understand why the OP wants to change - but for at least a £1000+ and maybe £2000ish??

You've got to really want those paddles and there is not much of a market for a secondhand 991 tip steering wheel!

... Or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-CAYENNE-S-2011-T...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-CAYENNE-S-2011-T...


2
Reply to Topic