Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

itsmatt

Original Poster:

3 posts

43 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
Hello,

First time poster who's looking to pickup a 996 turbo soon and I've found a few of examples that I like the look of; so before I view them does anyone know the cars?

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271056514361 - the advert is pretty poor but the seller ensures me it's a good car with full history. Obviously the interior is why it's slightly cheaper than other examples with similar history and mileage. Is the turbo interior different from a 996 C2?

2. http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use... looks the nicer option, no sunroof, non-hideous interior, recent clutch & slightly newer. I couldn't get hold of the seller earlier so I'm not 100% sure it's still available.

3. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2012... nice colour & interior, nav (is nav any good on cars this old?)

4. http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use... - nicer colour but no mention of history and higher mileage. If there's decent history with the car is something like this worth the saving? I would assume not as its going to make resale harder and unless its had lots of money lavished on it recently I'll probably spend the amount 'saved' on parts that have done 50K more miles than the other two cars.

Are there any problems that I should be looking out for on these cars?

Vixpy1

41,290 posts

148 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
That 2003 is very cheap!

stubbsy996

696 posts

97 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
Vixpy1 said:
That 2003 is very cheap!
That's dirt cheap for a 2003 if everything is as it should be! Quite high miles but looks in good condition from pics. Too good to be true?

itsmatt

Original Poster:

3 posts

43 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
Vixpy1 said:
That 2003 is very cheap!
stubbsy996 said:
That's dirt cheap for a 2003 if everything is as it should be! Quite high miles but looks in good condition from pics. Too good to be true?
Given the mileage, is it a better than the 65K 2001 (no 2)? Are there improvements between 2001 and 2003?

mondie

351 posts

26 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
3 and 4 both look nice. Are either near to you?

I am in the market for a 911TT but its going to take a lot of travel to find the right car being in NE Scotland!
Advertisement

shantybeater

496 posts

53 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
I have been watching the lower end price range for some time and can tell you a little bit about three:

The Arun Jaguar Seal grey car has been for sale for over a year.. it was even featured by PH a few months back

The silver car with nasty green interior has also been for sale for a while slowly dropping in price, it was advertised as an auction and sold for 17-18k highest bid but then relisted, I noticed it was advertised on autotrader for 18,995 shortly afterwards and still didnt sell

Both of these cars need a good inspection (why haven't they sold?) and if all checks out you will have good bargaining power

The midnight blue car was listed privately on pistonheads for 18,995, it has been up for about three days (but weirdly only on the mobile site or old classifieds), clearly the dealer has bagged it and jumped the price up

see here: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4170234.htm

The

Edited by shantybeater on Saturday 29th September 14:07

itsmatt

Original Poster:

3 posts

43 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
mondie said:
3 and 4 both look nice. Are either near to you?

I am in the market for a 911TT but its going to take a lot of travel to find the right car being in NE Scotland!
Both are pretty close to me but I probably won't checkout no 3.

shantybeater said:
I have been watching the lower end price range for some time and can tell you a little bit about three:

The Arun Jaguar Seal grey car has been for sale for over a year.. it was even featured by PH a few months back

The silver car with nasty green interior has also been for sale for a while slowly dropping in price, it was advertised as an auction and sold for 17-18k highest bid but then relisted, I noticed it was advertised on autotrader for 18,995 shortly afterwards and still didnt sell

Both of these cars need a good inspection (why haven't they sold?) and if all checks out you will have good bargaining power

The midnight blue car was listed privately on pistonheads for 18,995, it has been up for about three days (but weirdly only on the mobile site or old classifieds), clearly the dealer has bagged it and jumped the price up

see here: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4170234.htm
Excellent, thanks. I'm probably going to checkout the 03 later and I'll see if I can get hold of the previous owner too (thanks for the link).

For anyone else reading, here's the link to the feature on the grey one shantybeater mentions : http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyI...

shocks

533 posts

48 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
mondie said:
3 and 4 both look nice. Are either near to you?

I am in the market for a 911TT but its going to take a lot of travel to find the right car being in NE Scotland!
Mondie - PM me - mines is going up end of October. Edinburgh based and car is well known to other PH ecosse folks.

pilotea

183 posts

115 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
itsmatt said:
Hello,

First time poster who's looking to pickup a 996 turbo soon and I've found a few of examples that I like the look of; so before I view them does anyone know the cars?
I will be putting up my 996, 2002, 30900 miles, fsh, black on black, 500+ HP, manual (of course) on pistonheads within a couple of days so maybe you should wait. Not using the car at all so its a shame (driven it 1500 miles or less this year). Will put it up for 22995, and will not be accepting any offers.


pilotea

183 posts

115 months

[news] 
Saturday 29th September 2012 quote quote all
Vixpy1 said:
That 2003 is very cheap!
well, is it? It's been 5 times more around the world than the one i'm putting up for sale and I want 2000 more. No its not cheap at all, even thoug they're bulletproof, 89000 miles is a lot when you can get a low mileage for a couple of grand more.


6C4GTS

4,846 posts

62 months

[news] 
Sunday 30th September 2012 quote quote all
pilotea said:
I will be putting up my 996, 2002, 30900 miles, fsh, black on black, 500+ HP, manual (of course) on pistonheads within a couple of days so maybe you should wait. Not using the car at all so its a shame (driven it 1500 miles or less this year). Will put it up for 22995, and will not be accepting any offers.
That sounds like incredible value for a man box!

Good luck but I don't think you will need it.

soin

13 posts

78 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
about 2-3k underpriced , then again may help to sell quicker

thegoose

7,433 posts

94 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
pilotea said:
well, is it? It's been 5 times more around the world than the one i'm putting up for sale and I want 2000 more. No its not cheap at all, even thoug they're bulletproof, 89000 miles is a lot when you can get a low mileage for a couple of grand more.
Some interesting maths there - it's 25,000 miles around the earth?

mudy

536 posts

56 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
thegoose said:
Some interesting maths there - it's 25,000 miles around the earth?
Not in a turbo it isn't wink

Diesel130

1,549 posts

96 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
mudy said:
thegoose said:
Some interesting maths there - it's 25,000 miles around the earth?
Not in a turbo it isn't wink
Nor, if you do a little circle near the North Pole or in Antarctica...

Rockster

1,088 posts

44 months

[news] 
Friday 12th October 2012 quote quote all
itsmatt said:
Hello,

First time poster who's looking to pickup a 996 turbo soon and I've found a few of examples that I like the look of; so before I view them does anyone know the cars?

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271056514361 - the advert is pretty poor but the seller ensures me it's a good car with full history. Obviously the interior is why it's slightly cheaper than other examples with similar history and mileage. Is the turbo interior different from a 996 C2?

2. http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use... looks the nicer option, no sunroof, non-hideous interior, recent clutch & slightly newer. I couldn't get hold of the seller earlier so I'm not 100% sure it's still available.

3. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2012... nice colour & interior, nav (is nav any good on cars this old?)

4. http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/use... - nicer colour but no mention of history and higher mileage. If there's decent history with the car is something like this worth the saving? I would assume not as its going to make resale harder and unless its had lots of money lavished on it recently I'll probably spend the amount 'saved' on parts that have done 50K more miles than the other two cars.

Are there any problems that I should be looking out for on these cars?
When I was shopping for a Turbo what I learned (and have forgotten some of it) is at the time there was no update disc (CD or ?) for the thing.

Then either just before or just after bought my 03 Turbo I read where an updated one was produced but (IIRC) only for the newer MYs.

I do not recall the update disc cost or anything about its quality.

It didn't matter any. Cars with NAVI were not that common anyhow and I found a nice used 03 Turbo sans the NAVI. I was happy and installed an aftermarket (and portable) NAVI unit. I bought a Garmin nuvi 14XX for less than $200 and it has been a very nice and durable unit. Had to pay a fee to update the maps once. I didn't get a NAVI unit with the Lifetime Maps feature/option. Next time. Maybe.

Sincerely,

Rockster.
Reply to Topic