Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
4 5 6 7
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Just got off the phone....

"IMS is covered and known about by us, we've paid out for this in the past"

"Cam chain breakage and resulting damage is covered and has been paid out for in the past"

"Cylinder bore scoring is not covered by the DRIVELINE policy but is covered by our main policies"

I think that clears things up a little and ties in with Soovy's asessment.

My point to the thread was, in the unlikely event of IMS failure £500 spent now would save me, potentially, something in the region of £6500 for a rebuild assuming a £500 excess.

I'm not overly worried about my care but thats a £500 punt I'll take.

Others with older engines that, statistically speaking, are more prone to failure might want to do the same?

I don't know that's really that odd is it?

REALIST123

3,732 posts

39 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Chrisp5782 said:
Firstly, Warrantywise don't grade their policies in Gold, Silver or Bronze - RAC do I had one and it was toss.

Soovy,interesting and warrants further investigation and another call to them, watch this space.....
Yes they do. Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Posted in Car Warranty by Oliver Hammond
0
Two years after ex BBC Top Gear presenter and motoring journalist Quentin Willson joined Warranty Wise and designed our original one size fits all extended car warranty, we listened to customer feedback and let Quentin once again take the lead in designing a tailored, bespoke car warranty platform, calling our extended car warranty plans Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Platinum is the most straightforward one, as it covers ALL mechanical and ALL electrical parts of your car against breakdown and failure. Despite naturally costing a bit more than Gold, we still find that the most popular extended car warranty motorists buy direct from us is indeed our Platinum plan.
But the reason we decided to offer used car buyers more choice is that we understand that all cars, circumstances and budgets are different, so giving people the freedom to choose is the best way. Platinum includes as standard Air Bag, Air Conditioning, Catalytic Convertor, Level 4 Main Dealer Labour Rates, MOT Failure and Multimedia (sat nav, audio system, etc), but we realise that not everyone has a sat nav, or a fancy stereo system in their car. So if you choose Gold, Silver or Bronze, you can upgrade it to include air bag cover, for example, if that’s something you’re particularly concerned about.
Our extended car warranty plans really are ‘build your own’ in a very positive sense, so we encourage you to browse the Warranty Wise website to compare the levels of car warranty cover you get from Bronze to Platinum, so you can choose the one you feel best suits your car and your pocket.

Soovy

33,178 posts

157 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Chrisp5782 said:
Just got off the phone....

"IMS is covered and known about by us, we've paid out for this in the past"

"Cam chain breakage and resulting damage is covered and has been paid out for in the past"

"Cylinder bore scoring is not covered by the DRIVELINE policy but is covered by our main policies"

I think that clears things up a little and ties in with Soovy's asessment.

My point to the thread was, in the unlikely event of IMS failure £500 spent now would save me, potentially, something in the region of £6500 for a rebuild assuming a £500 excess.

I'm not overly worried about my care but thats a £500 punt I'll take.

Others with older engines that, statistically speaking, are more prone to failure might want to do the same?

I don't know that's really that odd is it?
If you can get this in writing from them then fair play to you.

As it is, it means zero.


gibbon

953 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Chrisp5782 said:
Just got off the phone....

"IMS is covered and known about by us, we've paid out for this in the past"

"Cam chain breakage and resulting damage is covered and has been paid out for in the past"

"Cylinder bore scoring is not covered by the DRIVELINE policy but is covered by our main policies"

I think that clears things up a little and ties in with Soovy's asessment.

My point to the thread was, in the unlikely event of IMS failure £500 spent now would save me, potentially, something in the region of £6500 for a rebuild assuming a £500 excess.

I'm not overly worried about my care but thats a £500 punt I'll take.

Others with older engines that, statistically speaking, are more prone to failure might want to do the same?

I don't know that's really that odd is it?
So £500 policy and in the event £500 excess? So 1k for a year policy in the event of a failure which is circa £6k to remedy? 1/6 odds of IMS failure in 12 month period? Sounds like a terrible trade to me, even if you dont add in the chance of the policy being a donkey.

thegoose

7,533 posts

96 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Keep the £500 in your pocket. Any warranty company that don't require inspection of the vehicle beforehand are also likely to claim that scored bores etc occurred before cover started, therefore are not covered. It's likely they're correct and actually being fair in that case too.

If you really really are intent on taking out the WW cover then I'd suggest that you massively increase its chance of actually being of use to you in the event of a failure by having an OPC inspect the car (including an internal engine inspection with a boroscope) and keeping a copy of their report (ideally dated the same day that cover starts with WW).

Personally I'd keep the cash, particularly on your "low risk" model, or otherwise consider the OPC cover (which I believe no longer stipulates that services are carried out at an OPC, just that they're done to Porsche standard).

You could also try calling a few specialists and ask them what success and/or difficulty they've had claiming off WW.
Advertisement

Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Blue62 said:
Chrisp5782 said:
I'm now on the phone to the technical department having asked specifically:

"Is IMS failure and resulting damage covered?"

"Is cam chain breakage covered?"

"Is cylinder scoring covered?"

I will post responses verbatum......
With respect Crisp, it's what you get in writing that counts. You seem to know your own mind, but the concensus of most old lag Pork owners around here is to go for the OPC warranty, otherwise you're pretty much wasting your money. Good luck whatever you decide, I think the car you're in is less blighted than most.
I quite agree, I'd not part with any money until I'd seen it written in front of me, hopeful of a good product I might be, foolish I'm not!
tongue out

thegoose

7,533 posts

96 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
gibbon said:
So £500 policy and in the event £500 excess? So 1k for a year policy in the event of a failure which is circa £6k to remedy? 1/6 odds of IMS failure in 12 month period? Sounds like a terrible trade to me, even if you dont add in the chance of the policy being a donkey.
It's less than a grand to have an upgraded IMS bearing fitted which won't fail - job done. smile

Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
REALIST123 said:
Chrisp5782 said:
Firstly, Warrantywise don't grade their policies in Gold, Silver or Bronze - RAC do I had one and it was toss.

Soovy,interesting and warrants further investigation and another call to them, watch this space.....
Yes they do. Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Posted in Car Warranty by Oliver Hammond
0
Two years after ex BBC Top Gear presenter and motoring journalist Quentin Willson joined Warranty Wise and designed our original one size fits all extended car warranty, we listened to customer feedback and let Quentin once again take the lead in designing a tailored, bespoke car warranty platform, calling our extended car warranty plans Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Platinum is the most straightforward one, as it covers ALL mechanical and ALL electrical parts of your car against breakdown and failure. Despite naturally costing a bit more than Gold, we still find that the most popular extended car warranty motorists buy direct from us is indeed our Platinum plan.
But the reason we decided to offer used car buyers more choice is that we understand that all cars, circumstances and budgets are different, so giving people the freedom to choose is the best way. Platinum includes as standard Air Bag, Air Conditioning, Catalytic Convertor, Level 4 Main Dealer Labour Rates, MOT Failure and Multimedia (sat nav, audio system, etc), but we realise that not everyone has a sat nav, or a fancy stereo system in their car. So if you choose Gold, Silver or Bronze, you can upgrade it to include air bag cover, for example, if that’s something you’re particularly concerned about.
Our extended car warranty plans really are ‘build your own’ in a very positive sense, so we encourage you to browse the Warranty Wise website to compare the levels of car warranty cover you get from Bronze to Platinum, so you can choose the one you feel best suits your car and your pocket.
In light of the evidence, I stand corrected.

gibbon

953 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
thegoose said:
It's less than a grand to have an upgraded IMS bearing fitted which won't fail - job done. smile
Indeed.

Eeeeoooooowww.

mollytherocker

11,025 posts

95 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
500 cost and 500 excess? Why not just get the ims and clutch done for 1500?

Mtr

Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
gibbon said:
thegoose said:
It's less than a grand to have an upgraded IMS bearing fitted which won't fail - job done. smile
Indeed.

Eeeeoooooowww.
And where would that be, you have to split the engine on a 987 to fit the bearing unlike a 986/996. The bearing is larger than the appature and cannot be changed in situ meaning engine removal and splitting. The bearing kit itself costs best part of £600.

I had an LN Engineering IMS upgrade done on a 2002 986 Boxster at Autofarm and it cost more than a grand.

Phooey

6,102 posts

55 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Can't remember for the life of me the reason why, but apparently you won't see these two in the same room together wink




Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
We're actually getting away from the purpose of the post.

I was bringing to the attention of forum members the availability of, what appears to be, a decent warranty company that offers an alternative to OPC offered cover.

It isn't an IMS thread nor am I saying you should rush out and buy the warranty.

For the record, I'm not overly worried about the failure of my car.

I'm merely pointing out that, for me, the outlay might well be worth it in the VERY UNLIKELY event of a failure. I know my car is at the lower end of failure risk, I took that in to consideration when I bought it. £500 isn't a lot of money and, should the situation arise, I've saved some cash. i assume you insure your house against the very unlikely event of it burning down?

MrTickle

1,668 posts

125 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
The great thing about Porsche not admitting there are any problems with the M96/M97 engines whatsoever, is that they are very quick to happily resolve issues under their warranty scheme! smile

£500 for a single claim and over £500 for the warranty?

An OPC warranty is only £900 with no x/s and covers everything. I am with Soovy, just keep the car standard, use OPC to service and have an OPC warranty. The first £500 will rapidly be repaid with more minor faults that are brought up during a regular service.

My experience is with an OPC warranty, you drop off the car for a service and collect it with a bunch of extra work done under warranty that you didn't even know needed doing.

Happy motoring.....

Actus Reus

2,345 posts

41 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
How much would an OPC warranty be? No excess on those (though you may need to pay for the 111 point check of course), and it really is bumper to bumper - IMS, RMS, Scored bores - the whole 9 yards. It's also transferable to another private individual so can help resale.

It'd need to be a pretty hefty difference in price for me not to get the Porsche warranty I think - also, once you've had one 111pt check, I don't think you need another on renewal do you? And if you do, if it finds anything, they'd have to pay to put it right anyway. I think.

And for the record, I'm with Soovy's assessment of WW - I've read very mixed stories where they're concerned. I'd perhaps think about them for a Golf or other mainstream car, but perhaps not Porsche.

gibbon

953 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Chrisp5782 said:
We're actually getting away from the purpose of the post.

I was bringing to the attention of forum members the availability of, what appears to be, a decent warranty company that offers an alternative to OPC offered cover.

It isn't an IMS thread nor am I saying you should rush out and buy the warranty.

For the record, I'm not overly worried about the failure of my car.

I'm merely pointing out that, for me, the outlay might well be worth it in the VERY UNLIKELY event of a failure. I know my car is at the lower end of failure risk, I took that in to consideration when I bought it. £500 isn't a lot of money and, should the situation arise, I've saved some cash. i assume you insure your house against the very unlikely event of it burning down?
If the event is so unlickely why pay 1/6 of the event cost to insure against it?

Everyones perception is different, but by your own reasoning the policy is poor value.

Yes i insure my house, but i wouldnt at 1/6 ratio cost to cover. I'd buy a better door and locks.

EJH

248 posts

95 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Chrisp5782 said:
I'd at least hope that someone like Quentin Wilson wouldn't risk his reputation on a bonk product.
It's like insurance, surely? Mr Wilson has probably balanced the risk (of product being pish) with the reward (chequey for Quentin) and fallen on the side of the cheque.

My 2 observations (as shared with a good number of fellow posters) are:

1 Any warranty company is not a charity. As such (and much like car insurance) the cheaper one goes, the less they will want to pay, and

2 How is the endorsement of QW an inducement to anyone in buying a warranty?

Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
I just got off the phone to Porsche, they won't cover my car due to non-Porsche brakes and shocks so that's a no go.

The service manager however did tell me that he has dealt with WW and they pay out on time without quibble and they would be the next best choice.

I asked, out of interest, what it'd cost me if I was eligible:

£180+VAT for the 111 point check.
£740 for the policy for the year.
£1400 for two years.
Servicing done by them.

Not too bad at all and if everything on my car was genuine and hadn't only just been changed I probably would have gone for it.


Chrisp5782

Original Poster:

413 posts

24 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
gibbon said:
Chrisp5782 said:
We're actually getting away from the purpose of the post.

I was bringing to the attention of forum members the availability of, what appears to be, a decent warranty company that offers an alternative to OPC offered cover.

It isn't an IMS thread nor am I saying you should rush out and buy the warranty.

For the record, I'm not overly worried about the failure of my car.

I'm merely pointing out that, for me, the outlay might well be worth it in the VERY UNLIKELY event of a failure. I know my car is at the lower end of failure risk, I took that in to consideration when I bought it. £500 isn't a lot of money and, should the situation arise, I've saved some cash. i assume you insure your house against the very unlikely event of it burning down?
If the event is so unlickely why pay 1/6 of the event cost to insure against it?

Everyones perception is different, but by your own reasoning the policy is poor value.

Yes i insure my house, but i wouldnt at 1/6 ratio cost to cover. I'd buy a better door and locks.
Do doors and locks prevent fires?
wink

gibbon

953 posts

93 months

[news] 
Wednesday 10th October 2012 quote quote all
Is it only me that finds this thread amusing?

Must be my strange humour.
1 2
4 5 6 7
Reply to Topic