Login | Register
SearchMy Stuff
My ProfileMy PreferencesMy Mates RSS Feed
1 2
4 5
Reply to Topic
Author Discussion

DaveEssex

204 posts

40 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
All halogen lamps are tested and approved with the lens and reflector designed around halogen filament bulbs working to very precise tolerances.

The bulbsin these HID kits are not tested with any headlamp. Fitting this

'upgrade' will not create the correct beam pattern, causing glare in some parts and not enough light output in others. Also the gas in a xenon bulb is ignited by a ballast unit, using 27,000 volts, so there is a serious danger of electrocution or melting of any wiring with an untested ballast unit.



You are correct that all vehicles with xenon lighting have to have headlamp washer systems and automatic levelling fitted by law, but this does not overide the basic approval certification of the lamp itself.



The Department of Transport are very clear on the matter and state:



"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. .... In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated".



The trouble with forums is that they're not really thinking about endangering the lives of other road users or other legalities. It's all about the look.

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
DaveEssex said:
The Department of Transport are very clear on the matter and state:

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. .... In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated".



The trouble with forums is that they're not really thinking about endangering the lives of other road users or other legalities. It's all about the look.
I agree there is a need for legislation, but people like you are in a position to change the perception that its just barry boys who fit HID kits for the pose factor, that there is a genuine case to `consider` (as I highlighted), rather than take a carpet bomb viewpoint. In my case there are no alternative options and the HIDs provide the luxury of looking, thinking and planning ahead, same as the modern 4x4 drivers, which you validated I might add smile

DaveEssex

204 posts

40 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
So, there seems to be some opinion/s that it's alright to act illegally, as long as one can escape the notice of the law, and, I guess, not bother to tell one's insurer that the car is modified.
All this to cover up for substandard eyesight.
I guess then its OK for the rest of us to pick up the bill.
The scrap yards are full of wrecks which have "wiring that spontaniously combusted - for no apparent reason" officer.
And, hospital beds are occupied by drivers, who "were blinded by an oncoming car" they reported.

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
DaveEssex said:
So, there seems to be some opinion/s that it's alright to act illegally, as long as one can escape the notice of the law, and, I guess, not bother to tell one's insurer that the car is modified.
All this to cover up for substandard eyesight.
I guess then its OK for the rest of us to pick up the bill.
The scrap yards are full of wrecks which have "wiring that spontaniously combusted - for no apparent reason" officer.
And, hospital beds are occupied by drivers, who "were blinded by an oncoming car" they reported.
Incredible, you take a perfectly logical debate, and come back with this turd to win an argument, thats just laughable.

You win David Essex.

jagracer

7,455 posts

119 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Dodsy said:
jagracer said:
Why is that?
Friend of mine has a Marcos. Seat is permanently fixed to the rear bulkhead. The pedals move instead of the seat.
I meant why would it fail, not what sort of seats your mates Marcos has. My car has fixed a seat/s, there's no mechanism to check so how would it fail on The driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended?
Advertisement

Efbe

6,006 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Does this mean we can get rid of HIDs altogether? Hateful things.

I'm sure in the flat parts of the country you don't have a problem, but up here in the hills, with probably the worst council all-round, especially for looking after roads, HIDs are a completely pain in the arse.

I have no idea whatsoever if I am being flashed anymore (the car variety anyway!). I am often blinded by the bloody things* and regularly actually have to stop until the other car passes.


[*made worse by people in the country thinking 4x4s are essential, when in reality they are just a nightmare to get down tight country lanes and are usually incompetent enough to get stuck in light snow anyway rendering them completely pointless.]

jmmc

54 posts

54 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
I'm going to be glad to see the back of the chavish aftermarket hid kits which seem to have the only purpose of blinding oncoming traffic, but the rest of the changes to the mot just look like an exercise in taking the piss and will probably be abused by some garages.

There has also obviously been no sanity checking of some of the changes, like the requirement for drivers seats to be moveable fore and aft to at no fewer than three positions.

Himself

339 posts

30 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Jetl3on said:

I drive a relatively `low` car and I find that most 4x4`s headlights are directly inline with my mirrors.
Could I ask what the car is?

Efbe

6,006 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Himself said:
Jetl3on said:

I drive a relatively `low` car and I find that most 4x4`s headlights are directly inline with my mirrors.
Could I ask what the car is?
odd first post, but Hi!

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Efbe said:
Himself said:
Jetl3on said:

I drive a relatively `low` car and I find that most 4x4`s headlights are directly inline with my mirrors.
Could I ask what the car is?
odd first post, but Hi!
You may, but first remove the camouflage.

Efbe

6,006 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Jetl3on said:
Efbe said:
Himself said:
Jetl3on said:

I drive a relatively `low` car and I find that most 4x4`s headlights are directly inline with my mirrors.
Could I ask what the car is?
odd first post, but Hi!
You may, but first remove the camouflage.
??? either:

a) You're watching me; as about 30 seconds ago I was wearing a camouflaged jacket whilst working on my car.
b) I'm being thick and don't understand.
c) I'm missing something and about to get Whooshed.

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Efbe said:
??? either:

a) You're watching me; as about 30 seconds ago I was wearing a camouflaged jacket whilst working on my car.
b) I'm being thick and don't understand.
c) I'm missing something and about to get Whooshed.
Following on from your observation:

d) Response aimed at 'Himself'

Efbe

6,006 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Jetl3on said:
Efbe said:
??? either:

a) You're watching me; as about 30 seconds ago I was wearing a camouflaged jacket whilst working on my car.
b) I'm being thick and don't understand.
c) I'm missing something and about to get Whooshed.
Following on from your observation:

d) Response aimed at 'Himself'
Oh good, thought you were watching me and would possibly break through the door with some kind of machete. I'll call the police off now smile

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Efbe said:
Jetl3on said:
Efbe said:
??? either:

a) You're watching me; as about 30 seconds ago I was wearing a camouflaged jacket whilst working on my car.
b) I'm being thick and don't understand.
c) I'm missing something and about to get Whooshed.
Following on from your observation:

d) Response aimed at 'Himself'
Oh good, thought you were watching me and would possibly break through the door with some kind of machete. I'll call the police off now smile
You wear fatigues yet still need the police, you wuss smile

FYI: Its not a Machete, its a WarBlade.

Efbe

6,006 posts

49 months

[news] 
Tuesday 31st January 2012 quote quote all
Jetl3on said:
You wear fatigues yet still need the police, you wuss smile

FYI: Its not a Machete, its a WarBlade.
you got me, it was less of a jacket and more of a camouflaged thong. still it was the only way I could get under my car without jacking her up.

hopefully that thought should scare you and the warblade away smile

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st February 2012 quote quote all
Efbe said:
you got me, it was less of a jacket and more of a camouflaged thong. still it was the only way I could get under my car without jacking her up.

hopefully that thought should scare you and the warblade away smile
roflrofl

Himself

339 posts

30 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st February 2012 quote quote all
I'm not sure what you mean by 'camouflage', I was just interested to find out why you're seemingly alone in your need for hid lights? I'll go back to lurking.

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Wednesday 1st February 2012 quote quote all
Himself said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'camouflage', I was just interested to find out why you're seemingly alone in your need for hid lights? I'll go back to lurking.
Because this is PH, many forget they too were young and wild, experimented with illegal substances, bent the rules, dressed weird, listened to music too loud, were a menace to society, got laughed at and frowned upon by law enforcers before becoming the people they rebelled against. Its the natural order I guess.

And by `Camouflage` I thought you were in disguise, says you been a member for a month, but joined on the 31st Jan, just seems odd, and your first post is to ask what car I drive.

I could be wrong of course, cant be too careful on PH.

Edited by Jetl3on on Wednesday 1st February 12:46

Jabbah

880 posts

37 months

[news] 
Thursday 2nd February 2012 quote quote all
Himself said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'camouflage', I was just interested to find out why you're seemingly alone in your need for hid lights? I'll go back to lurking.
Judging by your detective skills rightly so too ;-)

Nice Z1 btw Jetl3on...

I have the same problem in my Cerb, 4x4s seem to have their headlights set parallel to the ground! Always have to flick the rear view mirror when it gets dark.

Jetl3on

1,409 posts

79 months

[news] 
Thursday 2nd February 2012 quote quote all
Jabbah said:
Himself said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'camouflage', I was just interested to find out why you're seemingly alone in your need for hid lights? I'll go back to lurking.
Judging by your detective skills rightly so too ;-)

Nice Z1 btw Jetl3on...

I have the same problem in my Cerb, 4x4s seem to have their headlights set parallel to the ground! Always have to flick the rear view mirror when it gets dark.
Merci. On the odd occaision where you cant tell the difference between their Headlights and Main beam, I have adjusted the door mirrors so it reflects back at them, but its not their fault I suppose, they didnt validate it, I blame those people who work for Major Automotive Manufacturers and design Homogolation Processes.
1 2
4 5
Reply to Topic