PistonHeads.com Forum

Problem with diff

Author
Discussion

Samkia

Original Poster:

178 posts

44 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Hi everyone. Had a problem last night whilst stuck in traffic every time I let the clutch up the traction control on the dash came on and their was a clunking sound. Is this telling me I need to change the diff oil or something more sinister its the first time it's ever done it.

j666eds

571 posts

46 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Samkia said:
Hi everyone. Had a problem last night whilst stuck in traffic every time I let the clutch up the traction control on the dash came on and their was a clunking sound. Is this telling me I need to change the diff oil or something more sinister its the first time it's ever done it.


Mine does this, but its more of a grindy noise. Only does it when pulling away sometimes. IIRC 007 has the same problem and monfish checked everything and couldnt find a problem.

James

richie slow

7,052 posts

61 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
It's normally a sign of the diff oil needing changing, or sometimes it can be a worn driveshaft. If it only does it when the diff oil is hot then that is the most likely cause and the cheapest fix too.

j666eds

571 posts

46 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1091073&mid=275072

that was my thread from awhile ago.

James

ringram

14,401 posts

145 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
I winner if its one side slipping and triggering tc

Samkia

Original Poster:

178 posts

44 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Thanks guys will order some oil on Monday. Like I say it's the first time it's done it and the clutch was only at biting point.

richie slow

7,052 posts

61 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
ringram said:
I winner if its one side slipping and triggering tc
It does tend to be one side that slips when the oil isn't working properly. Sounds plausible for a TC light.

RiggzVXGTS

460 posts

43 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Trust me you will know if it's your diff, it makes a awful sound and feels rough to drive.

notransistors

219 posts

52 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Holden put a 350+ horsepower engine into a car made for a V-6. Some GTO owners have suffered a failed differential, others have been lucky.
Depends on what day of the week it was built, I suppose.

build294

486 posts

81 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
My diff did the same thing and got really bad only when hot. Only had done 13k miles, in the end had a trutrac diff fitted.

007 VXR

64,035 posts

84 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
build294 said:
My diff did the same thing and got really bad only when hot. Only had done 13k miles, in the end had a trutrac diff fitted.
Same here, much better smile

Britsud

290 posts

43 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
in the end had a trutrac diff fitted.

Is this an expensive job ? Could be me next if the second bottle of friction modifier don't work added to the purple stuff

Trying this today

007 VXR

64,035 posts

84 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
Britsud said:
in the end had a trutrac diff fitted.

Is this an expensive job ? Could be me next if the second bottle of friction modifier don't work added to the purple stuff

Trying this today
Part is cheap 400/500 but fitting is a big job(labour) frown

granada203028

1,076 posts

94 months

Sunday 7th October 2012
quotequote all
notransistors said:
Holden put a 350+ horsepower engine into a car made for a V-6. Some GTO owners have suffered a failed differential, others have been lucky.
Depends on what day of the week it was built, I suppose.


This is good for those of us who don't hammer their cars, the diff isn't bigger, heavier and more expensive than it needs me.

notransistors

219 posts

52 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
Its a sad commentary on the quality of products. My GTO has 25,000 miles, and the never-abused differential is already making noise. I have had plenty of American-made cars, most with a limited-slip diff, and never an issue.
On the other hand, I had a 1976 Triumph TR-7 [with the Spitfire gearbox and rear] that blew several diffs and trannys, before I switched to a diff and 5-speed tranny from a 1980 junk-yard TR-7. Then the car rusted to pieces.
Replaced it with a 1980 TR-7 convertible with rust-proofing.

ringram

14,401 posts

145 months

Wednesday 10th October 2012
quotequote all
I think Monaro stuff is 7.5" crown, while vxr8 is 8.1 IIRC, Camaro 2010 diff is a straight bolt in and is 8.3"
I understand the ZL1 camaro is over 9" dont think thats a bolt in though.

Chalk another win up for the vxr8's